MXR Micro Chorus?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jakedog, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Anybody digging this little box? Because I think I am. I think I'm just about to buy one. Probably today.

I checked out four chorus pedals last night while my daughter was at gymnastics practice. Tried the TC Corona Chorus, EH Neo Clone, some vintage EH piece, and the MXR. I think the MXR beat them all hands down. Just a simple, straight up, chorus sound. No depth control, but it's kind of set pretty perfectly from the factory. Price is fair too.

The others were either a pain to dial in, or had too much going on. I just want a straight up chorus. The MXR actually reminded me a lot of my old Boss CE2. I haven't had that thing in several years, so they very well might not be all that similar. But the chorus sound I was getting felt like "my" chorus sound, which I haven't been able to find since my CE2 went away.

I think I gotta got for it...

2. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

What are you guys using chorus for? Just certain songs? Coloring lead tone? I've just never felt the need for one.

3. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I've got one, it sounds quite nice. I leave it set at around 10:00 and it adds just enough chorus with no fuss.

I don't know why anyone else wants a Chorus pedal, I use it because my band plays quite a bit of 70's and 80's rock and quite a lot of it has chorus effect.

Point is, if you want or like Chorus, this one sound rich and full whereas most of them get pretty thin.

P.

4. Jakedog

I have three purposes for it. One is for coloring clean tones just a hair. I like it "just barely" on. The kind of thing where most people wouldn't even know they were hearing it, just that it sounded cool.

The other thing I like it for is occasionally cranking it way up and doing that super wiggly univibe-ish almost rotating speaker thing with some dirt on it. That can be fun sometimes. I also have a serious weakness for some 80's pop and alternative stuff. And sometimes when you wanna do that, you gotta have a chorus. Trying to play some of that stuff without a chorus is like trying to play some Waylon tunes without a phaser. It just sounds wrong.

5. Jakedog

Went and got it. It's really a nice chorus. No bells and whistles, but I don't need them. I was just after a straight ahead, old school, nice chorus pedal.

The MXR has what I needed in spades, and it was a good bit cheaper than many others. It was $79, and I had a 10% off thing, so it was perfectly affordable considering the absolutely GREAT sound quality.

As was mentioned above, it's not thin sounding at all. Very lush and full. Does the rotating speaker thing much better than any of the Boss units I've had in the past. Nobody is gonna be fooled into thinking it's a leslie, but it's a highly functional simulation of that style of sound.

I brought it home, velcro'd it to my main board, and fired up the Mesa Boogie. Just one big knob you can turn with the toe of your shoe makes on-the-fly adjustments a breeze.

I ran through some of the 80's and 90's alt and pop stuff, and it'll do it all with ease. Crowded House, The Cure, Big Head Todd, it's all in there. Cranked it up with rotating territory and hit some very cool sounds.

It'll have it's first gig test tonite, and that will be the real tell-all, but I'm pretty sure based on what I've heard here at home that it will handle live performance just fine. I think it's a great new addition to the family. I think I've finally found a chorus I won't sell in a couple of months because it's just not doing it for me. I love it when a plan comes together!

6. hs0504

hs0504 TDPRI Member

The micro mxr sounds very good, but the problem is that it has a volume boost when engaged (well mine has). Very annoying!

7. Jakedog

It does, but it's very slight. And I kind of like it. It was one of the things that sold me on it. It's very, very slight. Just enough to fatten things a little, and make it sound really full.

My old Boss CE2 had a huge boost. It sounded great, but was almost unuseable due to the VERY noticeable boost.

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Jakedog:

I know this is an old thread, but wondering if you're still using the Micro Chorus.

Thanks,
    Scott

9. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

I

10. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

I still have mine :)

11. Kestrel

Kestrel Tele-Afflicted

On the planet where the alphabet starts with "Z"
    The MXR Analog Chorus M234 costs a bit more than the Micro Chorus, but it's worth it, in my opinion. No volume boost or volume drop, and the level control is great for when you just want a slight hint of chorus or crank it for all out cliché 1980's tones. Hands down one of the best chorus pedals out there at any price.

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I'm sure it has some great sounds in it, but it has about four more knobs than I want. :)

Anode100 likes this.
  13. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

I really like my MXR Micro Chorus - simple to use, rugged, and sounds great.

Too many controls on a pedal confuse me.

14. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I like it simple and the micro chorus fits the bill. Sounds great for when I need it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.