MXR FET Driver

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gtrguru, Aug 13, 2013.

1. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

2. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

3. luckett

luckett Banned

Rangemaster maybe? LPB-1 came along in 1969.

edit: I was thinking transistor instead of FET, but FETs were around back then so it's probably something from that era.

4. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

Now way to know without a schematic. But I suspect it will be a Jack Orman creation, or variation thereof. Orman seems to have done more with transistor(an FET is a type of transistor) than just about anyone.

5. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Jack Orman...that's a good guess... but since it has Tripp's finger on it, I think there might be interesting twists to an existent circuit, at least.

Now let me fix that video link:

6. luckett

luckett Banned

Was Orman involved in any commercial products back in the 70s?

The preamp in the echoplex used a JFET and the internet tells me it started production in 1970. That's not an overdrive, but it is evidence that it was being used to amplify instrument audio back then.

7. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

Word on TGP suggests that the FET Driver is inspired by the BK Butler Tube Driver.

8. luckett

luckett Banned

Drop a couple of JFETs in for the tube

[​IMG]

9. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

That's great and all, but we need an MXR FET Driver schem to
    compare it to.

You seem to have your mind made up, so that's really sort of the end of the discussion for me. I'm not interested in convincing anyone of anything. For the rest of us, I'm still thinking Orman, or since it's Tripps, a design pulled from the Craig Anderton book again, as he did with the Red Llama\Tube Fuzz Sound.

10. luckett

luckett Banned

I'm merely speculating, just like you are. I really don't care what's in it. I thought Bonamassa sounded better in the video before he turned on the FET driver.

I'm more interested in knowing what the first FET overdrive/booster was like the OP asked. Anyone know the first commercial FET OD?

11. zingy

zingy Tele-Meister

Similarity to a JK Butler Tube Driver (soundwise, dunno about the schematic) is my guess as well, since Joe Bonamassa's sound (and playing) has always been influenced primarily by Eric Johnson...

12. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Looks like FET version of Tube Driver. FET or Field-effect transistor is common solutions for pedals, which claims to mimic tube-like sound and close overall scheme. All that Amp-in-a-box pedals use FETs. Basically it's just a transistor type. Nothing "common" here. Just like OP overdrives. Hundreds of different pedals with different sound.

Well, and a price is too much for mxr, IMO.

13. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I think MXR is definitely using the BK as their "inspiration" for the FET Driver.

[​IMG]

Sounds pretty good, but I'll wait for the probably-cheaper, hopefully-BK-color-schemed, non-signature version...

14. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I would love to get my hands on one. Anyone carrying them in the US yet? A quick google search only shows Andertons at 190 pounds :eek:

15. ruger9

The only one that has been released is the black JB model. Dunlop hasn't verified they will release a "non-sig" model, but I don't see why not. I'll wait.

16. p8t8r

p8t8r Tele-Meister

I'd love to have one likee that. Looks like it's a blue fuzz face mini next to the FD.

17. Coldacre

Coldacre Tele-Meister

I find these demo's don't really tell me much about the pedals tone other than it's smooth. could be a Blues Driver or any other 100 type of variation. how about loud/soft, on/off, roll the volume knob back on the guitar etc.

18. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

19. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

It sounds great. Hoping to pick one up soon!

20. ruger9

Rumor has it they only made 500, and the ones allocated to JB's site are gone. Andertons was the only other place that got any, don't know if they have any left.

Dunlop said they have "tentative" plans to release a non-sig version... imo there's no way the WON'T release one if the sigs sold out that fast. So alot of us, who didn't want to pay extra for JBs sig (and I love JB), or would rather have the "tube driver looking one" instead of the black one, are waiting.

FWIW... I notice alot of common ground between the FET Driver and the new Wampler Velvet Fuzz. Wampler has said the VF isn't a straight-up fuzz, and has some JFETs in there as well, so...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.