MXR Dyna Comp vs Dyna Comp Script

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Telecaster88, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I'm a novice when it comes to pedals, but I like the built in compressor on my Vox Mini3 amp, and I'm a sucker for those classic 70's sounds, country, pop etc. So I'm gonna buy a Dyna Comp. There's also a "Script Version" that has "the rare "metal can" CA3080 IC to nail those vintage tones," per the fine folks at Sweetwater.

So what is a metal can CA3080 IC, and does it make the Script version worth almost twice as much as the standard Dyna Comp?

Thanks!

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

*deleted*

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    omahaaudio likes this.
  3. Telecaster88

I have a Phase 90 Script, because the price difference was minimal versus the standard pedal-- but the price difference on the Dyna Comp and DC Script is huge! Just wondering if it's worth it somehow...

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oops! I was thinking phaser not compressor! Sorry about that! :oops::oops::oops:

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

The script shouldn't have regeneration, if I'm remembering right. It's more subtle. More like 70s Merle Haggard.

6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

The MXR phase 95 does a great job reproducing them all, BTW. I love the script 90 setting turned fairly low for that Waylon sound, and the script phase 45 turned up for a Univibe type sound.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't have an answer to your question (about COMPRESSORS), except the newer compressors are more versatile and quieter than a dyna comp.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

But often sounds rather...well boring^ Blended boring, topgrade parts boring, quietly...boring....

Telecaster88 likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know but im interested to find out the difference on the compressors.

On the phase 90 block vs script its just a matter of lifting a leg off the board to get the script sound.

The compressor might just need a $1 buck resistor to change it to a script and the rest might just be marketing like with most pedals.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  10. Telecaster88

I think I have it narrowed down now to either the Dyna Comp Deluxe (same circuitry as Script, but with added blend, EQ, and attack settings... For $10 less than the Script?!? Or the Keeley four knob (looks like the same general idea /versatility as the DC Deluxe).

Have you tried the Keeley? I'm really after that classic sound, which is why I'm leaning toward the Dyna Comp Deluxe, even though the Keeley might be "better." And with the Deluxe I can max the compression blend and set the EQ for neutral and should have be able to get the pure, classic Dyna Comp sound... (while keeping the options to tweak it if I want) (I think?)...

11. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Whirlwind compressor is also an option for that classic sound...
    Personally I never had the need for options...if the pedal sounds good....it really needs no extra stuff....but that is just me....and I have used compressors for about three decades...

12. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I bought the MXR Dyna Comp (not the script model) when my only electric was a Tele. It works well with a Tele for chicken pickin' type compressor sound, but doesn't really work well (in my experience) with humbucker guitars (I now have three).
    I've looked at other/newer type compressor pedals and the Keeley 4 knob is one, the Pigtronix 4 knob is the other. Both have blend capabilities and the Keeley has a separate setting on it for humbuckers.
    In short, the MXR Dyna Comp sounds good (especially with single coils for chicken pickin' sounds) but is not very versatile.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

I only use two these days.
    One old Guyatone Driving Box Compressor with that old can 3080 chip(oh the angels and the heavens(sarcasm may occur ;) ) ) And a two knob CM Comp/limiter....
    Both work well with all my guitars...singlecoils and buckers....

Telecaster88 likes this.
  14. Telecaster88

Sweetwater had a $20 gift card deal when buying the Dyna Comp, so I ordered the Deluxe model. Should be here today!

RetroTeleRod and NWinther like this.
  15. Gyprock

Gyprock TDPRI Member

I'd go for the Whirlwind Red Box. OG compression!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.