MXR Dyna Comp as just a boost pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ed P, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Does anyone use their Dyna Comp as just a boost pedal when they don't need a compressor?

This option intrigues me because it could be used either/or. I'm trying to clean house, so I'm looking at pedals that can effectively serve more than one function.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. surlydude

surlydude TDPRI Member

Right now, I'm doing the same thing with my Keeley 2 knob.

3. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Carl Martin for my comp and I have a Barber Tone Press that I use for clean boost.

I have had a Dyna Comp in my pedals for 25+ years. I would think it would make a great clean boost.

4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe I'm off base, but whenever I've tried to use a comp as a boost, by the time I got it where I liked it, it introduced a good bit of noise. Except for the Tone Press, which is designed to combine boost and comp. (Great pedal, by the way.) Maybe I was doing something wrong with just comps, or maybe my old Ibanez comp was just noisy to begin with...
    As i said, Tone Press does the job. Most of the time, though, I use a Boosta Grande.

5. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Did you set compression/sustain level on minimum?

6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I agree with the noise comment. A stock Dyna Comp doesn't have enough oomph to use a decent boost without pushing the sustain up.

7. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I have used mine that way.

8. Ledoux

Ledoux TDPRI Member

I do. It may add a little color to the tone but pushes me out ahead of the band for my little parts. Used to have an Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 set at 11 o'clock. Pretty cheap, used, and doesn't color the tone or add sustain.
    I have the big, rubber knob covers on my Dyna-Comp so I can adjust the output and sensitivity with my feet while I play. Whatever works.

9. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - lots of material to chew on. I love TDPRI.

10. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Signal to noise is kind of high. Plus I don't like bending over to mess with knobs on pedals. I just use a volum pedal or a switchable graphic EQ to create a boost.

11. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I love using my dyna comp as a clean boost. I keep the Sensitivity low, around 9 to 10 oclock, but the Output is high at 3 to 4 oclock. I find it makes a wonderful clean boost with just a little compression. Highly recommended.

12. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

With a sterile,super clean solid state amp,a non-transparent compressor like a dyna-comp is the perfect boost pedal. Sort of mimics the tube amp sag and compression that solid state amps lack,IMHO.

13. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

I have mine set both knobs at 12:00. That's a bit of push and a little squish.

14. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I've been using a DynaComp (or my newer Whirlwind Red Box, which is a script DC clone with LED and TB) as a boost for a while. Actually, I don't boost a lot with it, I set it at low sensitivity and set the level at predetermined points for evening out the levels when I change guitars. Generally, I set it at unity gain for the Gibson humbucker guitars and turn up the level for my Fenders to match the output. Sometimes I will set the levels a little higher to boost a bit, but usually it's there as a buffer for the effects chain and to match the outputs of different guitars, it also gives just a slight bit of compression and tonal enhancement. I used to do the same thing with an MXR Micro Amp, but the DC does the same thing and adds a little compression as a bonus.

Al

15. Codyh630

Codyh630 Tele-Meister

I have it set so that it both boost my overall volume and adds a slight bit of compression and sustain. It works great as both for me. It's also my "very light" overdrive pedal. haha.

16. Bohdan

Bohdan Tele-Meister

I use a Dynacomp to boost my Hot Cake. It's great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.