MXR Distortion + ... a pleasant surprise

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by codamedia, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 TDPRI Member

Bob Mould used one through his Husker Du, Sugar and solo phases.

Chuckster likes this.
  2. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Yes I got great tones without too much tweaking. I just had that setting because I played a lot with the Strat’s bridge pickup. It’s an entirely different beast from a Tele’s.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

If you are asking which edition... it's a modern re-issue with LED.
    If that's not what you are asking, then it's over my head :D

4. luckett

luckett Banned

The secret freq is completely different from a D+. It's closer to a Boss SD1 than a D+.

5. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

This is a great pedal to use with other pedals/setups. The two guitarists in Asking Alexandria use Peavey 5150 amps and one of them feeds it with an MXR D+ for a slightly different tone to differentiate himself. Sounds killer to my ears. YMMV.

cyclopean likes this.
  6. J-fish

J-fish Tele-Meister

I have a love/hate relationship with this little yellow pedal lately. I've been playing almost exclusively with it in the last two years as my main clean/crunch tone, always on, and I always found that its inherent bright response (remembering that this pedal doesn't have a true treble rolloff after clipping like most other overdrives do) complements pretty well my guitars, which are equipped with dark sounding flatwound strings.
    I can see why someone who plays with vintage style Strat single coils and 9-42 roundwound strings, for example, might find the sound too thin with the D+; but, in my case, it just does the job.

However, these last months I'm finding that the clipping this pedal produces makes some "strange sounding" harmonics: even with the "distortion" pot set low, and the bridge pickup set not too close to the strings, the overtones of the MXR seem quite dissonant in respect to your dry clean tone.
    So, even if set for a slightly breaking up tone and not a completely fuzzed out sound, the tone, with this pedal on, seems to give its best with single line notes, and not so much when you're playing full chords and/or some kind of arpeggios.
    ..I guess this is a somewhat "fuzz-like" quality which makes it special, but - also referring to another thread which is around here these last days - I don't find it especially "natural", "tube like compression" sounding, especially if compared to the harmonics other overdrives produce.

7. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

If it's good enough for Randy Rhoads, it should be good enough for everyone!

Of course I had one back in the day and used it as my source of drive on a crappy fender solidstate and didn't quite bond with it (go figure). I ditched it when I had an anti-pedal existential crisis in high school, kinda wish I still had it.

8. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

put it through a chorus and you're pretty close to that sound.

Chuckster likes this.
  9. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 TDPRI Member

That’s what I do when I play along to ‘Copper Blue’;)

cyclopean and Chuckster like this.
  10. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Weird, I've got a Whirlwind Gold Box and it reminds me of that pedal a lot. It definitely doesn't sound like my SD-1 or even the FD-2 without the boost.

11. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I remember reading somewhere that Larry Carlton used the MXR in front of his Boogies in the late '70s. The Ross Distortion and the DOD 250 Overdrive are all very close relatives.

12. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

You can hear it on some of the old Jazz Crusaders albums. The long version of "So Fear Away" is classic. I saw the Crusaders with LC in concert many years ago. The live "Scratch" album is a good document of that period. IIRC, he was playing through a Twin the night I saw them. Weather Report with Jaco was also on the bill. Talk about a good show!

TheMindful and wildschwein like this.
  13. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I bought a vintage one recently (early 80s block logo, pre LED) and am finding it to be extremely versatile. The reason I bought it was for playing 80's era Rush. Lifeson used it on the Moving Pictures tour (and probably before). It's good for much more than that and provides a little extra something that I can't get from my other OD pedals in certain situations, especially for leads. It's best when you have your amp volume just below the point of breakup, and then kick this baby in. I love it. It'll sound pretty weak though if you use it as your main dirt without the ability to stack it in this way. I also modded mine for true bypass... an easy mod.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  14. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Great pedal - dead simple circuit.

15. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I had a re-issue one for a bit, no idea why I sold it. Negative was that there was a very small range within which the knobs actually did anything and the sound by itself wasn't great. However, used to goose a valve amp or for some punky distortion it's such a familiar sound that if you want 20th century electric guitar sounds it's a very useable beast.

16. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

My first pedal as well, no light, bought new in '79... stil have it and use it constantly.

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

It was my first as well. I now have 4, none newer than ‘81. And I’m in the market for more. The right ones. ;-)

18. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

It was my first pedal in maybe 1978. A friend modded it recently to add true-bypass and a red LED. It’s a good pedal - I think the next mod will be to increase output so it will boost the volume on leads.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.