MXR Dirt Pedals - new fan

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TeleBrew, Jun 23, 2018.

1. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was never a fan of MXR dirt pedals in general, until now. I just bought a Super Badass Distortion and a Double Double Overdrive and both are pretty darn great.

Maybe I was waiting all this time for them to make some new pedals, or something, but I'm digging these ones.

kevsonic likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Love the Super Badass

TeleBrew likes this.
  3. johio

johio TDPRI Member

Just got the GT-OD myself. I could probably live with just this one pedal.

I had one of the Bad Ass 78 pedals before, wasn’t a fan. Also had the Classic Overdrive, it was maybe the worst pedal I’ve ever tried.

Also, I’ve read a thousand times that the GT-OD and the Classic Overdrive are the same pedal. Unless there was something significantly wrong with the one I had, there’s just no way that’s possible.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    TeleBrew likes this.
  4. TeleBrew

I had a Badass 78 a couple of years ago, too, and didn't like it either. I also had a GT-OD, and that is a good pedal. I think I was looking for something with more gain at the time, so that's why I didn't end up hanging onto it. But that's a good OD, for sure.

I agree that the Classic Overdrive and GT-OD aren't the same, at least to my ears. I tried out a Classic Overdrive at Guitar Center a while back and didn't care for it at all.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Love the Il Torino. Flexible EQ and two gain stages. Sounds great at live and at home.

teletimetx and TeleBrew like this.
  6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The Classic Overdrive is a winner. They made a green one and a white one. Crunchy and delicious.

JayFreddy likes this.
  7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I use a CMBAOD and other then a free Distortion+ I have, never used an MXR dirt pedal. But I found it cheap in a pawn shop and Jack Pearson recommended it, so I figured I had nothing to lose. It's my favorite lower gain OD.

8. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Bought a Distortion+ from my mum's Kays catalogue with my first student grant cheque back in 1975. I thought it was great at the time. Apart from the Vox Cry Baby I bought with the following term it was the only pedal I had until about seven or eight years ago. I thought it was great at the time. Sadly it failed about ten years ago so I cannot compare it with anything I now have, maybe I can find someone to fix it.

9. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

The Sugar Drive is pretty wonderful, too. There are a lot like them in the want to try someday, but my OD supply is a little too bananas at the moment. The Il Diavolo and the Shin-Juku both look very inviting, and I hear the new mini boost is killer.

twotone60 likes this.
  10. TeleBrew

They really seem to have upped the ante in the OD department, for sure. I was looking at the Il Diavolo, Sugar Drive, and Shin-Juku, too, before deciding on the Super Badass and Double Double.

11. johio

johio TDPRI Member

Sugar Drive is on my list as well.

twotone60 likes this.
  12. TeleBrew

The Super Badass & Double Double both sound great through either one of my amps, a Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and a Vox AC15C2. I love it when my pedals play nice with everything. Both sound good with my Rick 330 and my AVRI '52 Tele, as well.

twotone60 likes this.
  13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

It is worth fixing and having fixed correctly. I have several of these from varying years. It was my first pedal way back in about 1977 and I have a nostalgic pinge for them. If you have a vintage D+ with the Bud box it's worth something. All the pre LED models are pretty great.

14. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I dog MXR and Dunlop pedals...over half my board was manufactured by them.

I don't get the hate for the MXR M-66 Classic Overdrive. Other than the fact that it has a cheaper/weaker case, it's a great pedal.

There is an internal personality switch that makes the M-66 Classic Overdrive turn from the Zakk Wylde Signature Overdrive (factory setting for the M-66) to the GT-OD. I modded one of mine with a toggle to be able to switch it back and forth...I gave that one to a friend who was a great player but didn't have any money.

I have a second (unmodified) M-66 in the Reserve Drawer.

I previously owned the Guitar Center-exclusive M-86 Classic Distortion and the Prime Distortion as well...but I found I didn't like distortion with single coils, so I sold them both (at a profit!) when I needed some fundage. Now that I have three humbucker-loaded guitars in the herd, I might go down that rabbit hole again.

TeleBrew likes this.
  15. johio

johio TDPRI Member

I flipped the switch in the Classic Overdrive I had. It sounded nothing like a GT-OD on either setting.

16. BluesHound

BluesHound Tele-Holic

I have loads of dirt pedals including a bunch of MXR pedals; Super Badass, 78 Badass, FET driver, Classic Distortion, Fullbore Metal, Classic 108 Fuzz and 4 Distortion + (2 vintage block, Script RI and a modern one, I have a bit of a D+ thing). I think that the Super Badass is criminally underrated, you can dial in anything from mild od to full on distortion. Very versatile and it plays well with different types of guitar.

kevsonic likes this.
  17. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Here is mine, I still have the original box. When I open it up the foam inside is disintegrating. Any thoughts on how I should remove the remnants of the foam without damaging the components? Or should I just leave it?

upload_2018-6-24_20-53-48.png

I have just put a fresh battery in. Plugged it into an amp, then a cable into the D+. When I touched the bare jack plug it buzzed. I clicked the footswitch and the buzz stopped. Clicked it again and it buzzed. Plugged a guitar in and it played clean. Clicked the button and it was overdriven! At the moment it is behaving itself, I'll just keep playing it for the moment. Maybe it is time to dig the Vox Crybaby out of the loft to try again?

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

I suspect that foam may have shorted something out. If it were me ( and I am not even close to an electrical guy) I would try gently scraping the foam off of everything. Someone else, perhaps in the builder's forum, may have better ideas than me though. Try not to damage anything and if you can't fix it take it to a trusted electrical guy.

That's a script logo Bud box. Google it. Nice that you are the original owner with the original box. I wish I still had my first one. The ones I have now I bought second hand.

19. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

I just got the Sugar Drive Saturday. I haven't gigged with it yet, but it seems to be right in line with my very specific requirements for an overdrive - that is, it's very smooth and boosts mids.

My main OD is a TS10 and I usually keep the drive at 8 o'clock and the volume at 2 o'clock. The Sugar Drive is almost the opposite. I've got the drive at 12 or 1 and the volume at about 930.

If you turn down the drive it's more like a clean boost and if you turn the drive way up it gets really thick and compressed. (Reverend with P90's into a SF Princeton Reverb). Both controls have way more range than the controls on other OD pedals I've owned/tried.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.