MXR Carbon Copy - What's Similar?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 11 Gauge, May 16, 2019.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I need another analog delay for my shortboard, but honestly have not kept up with what's now available, since I got a Carbon Copy, a long time ago (probably a decade or so). It basically does everything I need it to (so it's been a semi-permanent feature on my main board, to this day).

I don't want something that just does slapback, as I've already got that covered with a Two Timer. And actually, the footprint of the TT is too big for the shortboard, anyway.

I also don't think I want to experiment with whatever digital delays are now available, that emulate tape or whatever. The experimentation might be fun, but it will probably just end up being another rabbit hole that I'd like to avoid.

In a nutshell, for my wants/needs, the Carbon Copy checks all the right boxes:
    • It's analog
    • It's compact
    • The price is reasonable
    • It's got longer delay times (and I use them, semi-regularly)
    So, what else have you discovered that is similar to the Carbon Copy? Or have you found something that you like even better?

2. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Look at some of the TC Electronics delays. Their analog Echobrain delay is about $60, if memory serves. Or an EHX Memory Toy, for a few more bucks.

That said, if you like the CC, why not get another one?

gitold likes this.
  3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

DM2w

noquarter1983, ukepicker and MilwMark like this.
  4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Malekko 616 is the same form factor, sounds good, has a switchable buffer that can make a huge improvement in some setups. Modulation controls are on teeny tiny pots on the outside of the pedal, not interior trim pots.

The delay that shoved the 616 off the board for me is the Hermida / Lovepedal EPH-3 -- not analog, but sounds like it is, plus its got that Echoplex preamp thing going. The guitar just sounds mysteriously better running through it. Also, they were up on the last Lovepedal sale for $50.

Jimmy Dean likes this.
  5. 11 Gauge

I have a feeling I may end up doing just that. Before I do, I want to see what else might be comparable.

In the decade that's passed, I just imagined that some other companies might have tried to make something (very) similar to the CC (given its overall appeal). I didn't want to rule anything out, out of ignorance.

OTOH, I'm happy enough with the CC that I didn't want to do any really deep research, because time doesn't really permit it right now, anyway.

6. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Not a clone- but the Ibanez mini delay is similar. But not a long enough delay time (300ms vs. 600).

They joyo analog delay has a long enough delay, but doesn't sound quite like the CC.

The CC is a great pedal at a great price.

JHS (I know the politics, it's a good pedal) panther cub is a great analog delay, but it's more used than the CC is new.

Nothing wrong with the boss DM-2- that might work.

A nice alternative might be Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail. Bucket Brigade analog delay, price a little more reasonable than JHS, might be used in same ballpark as CC.

7. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I would definitely look at the Malekko Ekko 616 MKII.

For a short board. maybe the Mooer Echolizer. That sounds really nice.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Wildcard_35 likes this.
  8. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I like my inexpensive EHX nano whatever-they-call-it delay, but I don't think it has the long delay times you require.

You can tell I use it a lot. I got it for a particular project, tested it, and when the project dissolved, I put it away.

9. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Well I dig the Vapor Trail, as the echoes aren't as dark as the CC, and it has that insert jack, which is seriously fun.

erratick likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

For something that’s “same-but-different,” why not the MXR Carbon Copy Bright?

Slightly brighter/more trebly tone than the standard CC.

11. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

The Vox Double Deca has some nice features. Modulation, longer delay times plus the ability to combine long and short delays. Compact it ain't though. :D

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use an Ibanez AD9

13. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

I love my 90s Memory Man, but I like the sound of the Catalinbread Akindeko (or whatever its called)

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the DM2w is the answer.

But, the Vapor Trail is a really nice CC alternative. A bit brighter. Less tendency to "run away" with regeneration.

Then again, what do I know. I think the stock modern DD3 is the answer to any and all delay questions.

artdecade likes this.
  15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What do you mean by "long delay" and how bright do you need the repeats to be?

Those two questions seem important.

If you mean long = 700ms and you don't want super dark & distorted that's going to narrow the field greatly.

16. J-fish

J-fish Tele-Meister

I knok you don't want digital pedals for this job, but I'll never regret my recent choice of a TC electronic Flashback (actually, the Mini variant) it's so versatile and good sounding. With hi cut on the feedback, lo cut, predelay, mod with depth and speed control (also, advanced options for tri chorus and flange if you need those), and also kill dry, which for my application was the thing, it really delivers. The free download editing software is simple and immediate. Once you save the application you need, you won't have to return to it. You can even select which operations the knobs will do for you.
    You won't be disappointed I think!

17. 11 Gauge

The Carbon Copy tops out at 600ms, per Dunlop's specs. I'm not discerning enough to notice how bright or dark the CC is. Judging from the impressions of others, it's probably darker.

18. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Echo-puss..

Don't discount something like the mini flashback, lots of customization in a small package.

j5jarod777 likes this.
  19. noquarter1983

noquarter1983 TDPRI Member

DMW2

20. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

EHX Canyon is cool, but digital, with up to 6 seconds of delay, plus...
    Features 11 modes:
    1. ECHO: digital delay
    2. MOD: modulated delay
    3. MULTI: multi-tap delay
    4. REVRS: reverse delay
    5. DMM: Deluxe Memory Man
    6. TAPE: tape delay
    7. VERB: reverb plus delay
    8. OCT: octave delay
    9. SHIM: shimmer
    10. S/H: sample and hold
    11. LOOP: looper mode w/max loop length of 62 seconds

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.