1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MXR Badass Modified OD. settings?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by milospilo, Feb 4, 2019.

1. milospilo

milospilo TDPRI Member

Just purchased a (barely) used MXR Custom Badass Modified OD for peanuts from eBay. It didn't come with any manual or anything and was just wondering if anyone out there had any experience with them? Pros /Cons? Where to put them in relation to other dirt and boost pedals etc.?
    Currently using a handwired Vox clone. EL34s and such like.

Random1643 likes this.
  2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

One of my favorite OD's! Jack Pearson turned me on to them. I put mine after the compressor and before my next dirt box, an Ibanez Jet Drive (which is another underrated pedal). I think you can see my settings here. The switch is in the up position.

DSC01006.JPG

Great pedals. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

lineboat likes this.
  3. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

I had one for quite a few years that I used as my main OD. Very versatile, so just dial in to your liking.

lineboat likes this.
  4. milospilo

milospilo TDPRI Member

Excellent. I'm having a lot of fun with it. The 100hz control is damn handy.

lineboat likes this.
  5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Anyone know what this is based on? Was it the tube screamer, SD-1, or something else?

6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

It's basically a chapter and verse SD-1 with a bass boost stage (falls after the stock SD-1 circuitry), and it looks like the "bump" switch toggles back and forth between the stock tone circuit and a flat boost stage.

IMO, it would actually be fun to add that stuff to a SD-1 (could probably build the 100Hz circuitry on a little piece of perfboard). The only tricky bit would be where to put the add'l 20K w-taper pot. It might actually be interesting to replace the existing tone pot with a dual-concentric 25K linear taper pot (or a reverse-log taper, if you could find it). The bump switch could be added by replacing the 1M drive pot with one with a pull toggle. You'd have a super stealth SD-1, for sure.

7. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

The Jet Driver is indeed an underrated pedal. TS with more gain and a mid control...hard to beat. Just never crazy about those footswitches.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I never understood why these didn't sell better....well, its my perception they didn't gain much ground. But given that the SD-1 is $50 new and this is double that and is and SD-1 with some special sauce, it makes more sense.

I need to put these side by side and see how they stack up.

9. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I agree about the Jet Driver, almost no talk of them around here. With the extra gain over a standard TS, mids control, and it has the JRC4558 chip that everyone seems to want, I'm surprised not many people are checking it out.
    Al

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  10. schenkadere

Any pedal with a knob or switch labeled “xxxHZ” will never be purchased by me. That’s way too detailed for the reality of bar room air vibrating from speakers to eardrums. To quote the great Bill Murray from Meatballs...”it just doesn’t matter, it just doesn’t matter!”.

11. schenkadere

I discovered it when it was released but it never really took off. The boutique market was crazy when it was released. People are migrating back to solid brand names and even the cheap Chinese stuff. It was probably just timing because IMO this could replace the old green standard in a flash.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. 11 Gauge

It's no different than having a dedicated graphic EQ slider @~100Hz on the output of the pedal. Just set it at noon, and it's 0dB boost.

I plugged in the component values to calculate the bandpass frequency and its Q, and they're pretty appropriate, IMO. As some may not realize, the bandpass freqs in a graphic EQ or similar may actually deviate a little bit from what they're marked as, or their Qs may be a little too high or low.

...Anyway, in this particular pedal, the bandpass freq is ~95Hz, and the Q is 3.6. The best way to "visualize Q" is probably to imagine how it's "spread out across the frequency spectrum." So a typical 1/3 octave bandpass will have a Q of 4.3, and a 2/3 octave bandpass has about half that Q, of 2.1 (so a lower Q will probably tend to sound like there's "more overlap").

So - in this pedal, it's "spread out" over just a bit more than 1/3 octave bandpass. IMO/IME, that's pretty good, for what it's supposed to do.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    RetroTeleRod and MilwMark like this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Slight tangent. Normally bass is my enemy in a guitar signal. I’m very sensitive to it and dislike pedals that add or emphasize it.

But I’ve never found the BD-2 to bother me. How odd!

14. 11 Gauge

That's because I calculated the BD-2's bandpass freq. incorrectly (that'll teach me to do that before my morning coffee, and to not pull down a non-Boss/Roland schematic from the web, which contained an error!). :oops:

...Going by a factory schematic, the BD-2 has a bandpass freq of ~120Hz, with a Q of 19.8 (~1/14 of an octave - very narrow). For all intents and purposes, that's obviously very similar to the bandpass freq of the MXR, but is much more narrow/confined, because of the very high Q. And the active bass boost in the BD-2 is obviously not adjustable, so Boss/Roland didn't want it to sound boomy.

That'll teach me to measure twice, and cut once! :oops:

Just as an extra calculation, I went and looked at the Digitech Screamin' Blues (schematic), which copies the BD-2, but makes the bass adjustable (and slightly alters the value of some components, in the process). With the S.B., the bandpass freq is ~127Hz, with a Q of 17.8. So, in essence, the S.B.'s Low control could be relabeled as "130Hz."

...I'm hoping this might also provide some insight into the design limitations of the average graphic EQ pedal - not only must a decision be made for the specific bandpass frequencies themselves, but what the Q should be, especially WRT the neighboring bandpass freqs.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    MilwMark likes this.
  15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So what is the net "sonic" impact of that BD2 bass boost, if you can put it into words? And is that bass or low mids?

16. 11 Gauge

IMO, it's mostly bass, especially with a high Q like that. You'd need a much lower Q like the Badass Modified OD has, for it to extend into the mid-bass/low mids.

17. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

I've got this pedal. The M77, right? In a recent setup I had it between a Script Phase 90 and Lotus Pedal Tremolo on the way to tube combo. I still need to figure out the different stuff this pedal can do. For gigs I've found I like to set and forget with all controls @ about 10am, bump switch off. I like it for slide.

18. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

how many peanuts? was it a huge pack? did you ship it in packing peanuts?

19. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Ebay Ferret Overdrive not as described!
    [​IMG]

kevsonic likes this.
  20. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I use it as my "light gain" OD. Gain at 9:00, tone and 100jz at about 12:00, switch on, output to unity with my clean and high gain amp settings.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.