MW Tele arrived - My thoughts.

EMan

Tele-Holic
First of, the pick-ups sound great. Not harsh, but have more overall bite than what my AS '94 has. Still full range though. All three switch selections sound great. Excellent sustain.

Nice neck...comfortable, and I like the finish. Fret finish is average, there's some sharpness to the edges.

Set-up is good, and the intonation seems to be right on. I personally don't notice any issues with the nut. It doesn't appear to be "cut high" to me. This thing came equipped with 9's for strings, btw....but they feel more like 8's. The seller could have been mistaken.

Body finish is killer, love the CAR color. Pickguard is as cheezy as they get, not even beveled on the edge..more like something you'd find on a $99 guitar.

Hardware and electronics seems to be good. I did notice that one of the strap buttons is loose. Neck plate is kind of cheezy/cheap as well.

My general opinion is that this guitar 'feels' like one of the older MIM Tele's that sold for $329. My '94 AS Tele 'feels' like a better instrument...just like a Browning shotgun feels better than a Sears Ted Williams model. I do not think this guitar is worth the current asking price of $650 sans case.

It does play well, and it sounds great....and in essence, that's what counts. I paid $435 for it (shipped) with a Fender HSC, and feel that I did get my money's worth. The standard Fender HSC it came with is cheezy as well.

Sorry, but I realized that I don't have a scale here that could accurately weigh it, but it doesn't 'seem' overly heavy..not overly light either.

mellecaster

Former Member
Good Evaluation e-man....can't beat that price !....sounds like if you dress those fret ends, you'll have a nice Player....make sure and check the output jack..every Tele that comes in my Shop is loose...unless Fender recently learned how to use a Star Washer...and check to see if it's a Switchcraft...gonna post some soundclips soon ????.....Tony

EMan

Tele-Holic
Thanks for the congrats, fellers!

Tony, My personal experience with MIM Tele's is that I've never seen/played one that did NOT have something wrong with the output jack. One would think that this being one of the most critical functions of a guitar (getting the sound out), Fender would make a better choice in this process.

Without a doubt, though, this is a fun guitar, with a lot of liveliness!