Muy Caliente VOX Pathfinder 15/15r Modification

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SnorkelMonkey, Jun 11, 2010.

1. bluesky6

bluesky6 TDPRI Member

Volume mods schematic

I figured out why I couldn't upload the schematic of my mods. Here it is.

Attached Files:

2. VOXTOTHEMAX

VOXTOTHEMAX TDPRI Member

Stuck at room temp?

3. Clicky

Clicky TDPRI Member

I love the "volume up, boost on, gain low" sound on my stock PF--it feels and sounds a lot like a clean amp turned up really loud, but at a low volume. Will the LED mod change the character/quality of that setting?

4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I unsoldered my LED's but wasn't crazy about the result...I just thought it sounded too "boxy" with the gain cranked, like in the Youtube vid. Although normally I hate fizzy crackly distortion, in this amp a little bit of that is an asset so I soldered a 470 ohm resistor in series with the LEDs to ground. Seems to be a fair compromise, a bit smoother but still has a good bite. Now with my Teles I can turn on the boost and get a good drie, with humbuckers I leave the boost off, with either setting the breakup begins about 2 o'clock. Any more than that comes from pedals.

5. hoplite22

hoplite22 TDPRI Member

Hi everyone....I have an issue with my Pathfinder 15R.....

Was purchased used, and it just arrived today....I plugged in....and bad news...

As soon as I strum, I get a cracking noise, and then sound cuts in and out.....

Opened her up....and everything looks fine :( Im SO disappointed :(

If anyone here has any suggestions or solutions.....I would love to hear from you :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  6. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

First thing you do, talk to the seller.

7. Overwhelmed987

Overwhelmed987 TDPRI Member

Bumping this thread. Norumba had the same issue that Im currently having, but I never saw him explain the fix.

Clipped the LEDs with scissors ( :eek: )

Now I get basically ZERO volume.

For starters (and possibly the end of the convo lol) is fixing this something an idiot like me can do, with no experience at all on circuits?

8. glpease

glpease TDPRI Member

Make sure the leftover LED leads aren't shorted together. That's the most likely culprit.

9. Overwhelmed987

I have it apart again. I didnt remove the board from its housing. I clipped the leads on the LED side of the board, as opposed to undoing all the pots and unsoldering it from the backside.

"LED2" still has the leads attached to the solder on the back, but I cut them so close to the board, I cant get anything in there to pull them out.

"LED1" has no leads remaining. Not visible, at least.

While I have this apart, is there a simple way to disable to trem effect? The wave on mine bleeds thru. Or the previous owner had a footswitch and just didnt turn it off last time he used it lmao

10. glpease

glpease TDPRI Member

As far as the lack of sound is concerned, look very closely where you cut the leads, and you're likely to find a small short between them. Try using something to scrape the area between the cut-off leads. If not, you'll have to remove the board to work on it.

As for the tremolo, with the depth pot at minimum, there should be no signal from the oscillator reaching the vactrol. If there is, you've got bigger problems to resolve.

11. Overwhelmed987

LOL. Great. Bigger problems. EHHH. Wanted to rehouse this badboy into a head and get a small cab.

I dont even know how you guys got the boards out without cutting wires. Ive got glue and solder stopping me from doing more than getting the pots free and just moving the board a few inches so I can see under it. One of the spots is fine. LED1. But on the back of the board where LED2 was, there is still a piece of solder and a tiny lead. Would that be an issue?

12. glpease

glpease TDPRI Member

The LEDs are from signal to ground - the only way that cutting them out could cause a loss of signal is if the surgery inadvertently caused a short. If there's no evidence of a short on the top of the board, you're going to have to pull it. A couple of things, first. Use an ohmmeter to ensure there are no shorts across those cut leads. If it reads zero Ω, you've got a short. Try heating the leads from the top of the board with a soldering iron, and re-check. Beyond that, removing the board is your only choice. Yep. It's a pain, but it's your only option at that point.

13. Overwhelmed987

Much appreciated sir.

14. igbw

igbw TDPRI Member

I recently purchased Vox 15r and it sounded great but not it cuts in and out, drop off in volume and sometimes sounds like a back chip but then I tap around light with a plastic rod of circuit board and then it comes back to life. Any ideas where to start looking for the problem at? Also I've only been able to find schematics for the Vox 15 without the reverb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.