Mustangs...Ford, not Fender

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Oct 16, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Anybody own one? Experiences?

Yeah, I was one of the two guys who started a fun car under $10,000 thread recently.

Realistically, my budget is more like $5000. Just can’t justify more for a second car, but do want to have some fun (all the threads about people dying too young lately...)

Again, I’m not a wrench head. I’m not expecting it to be a Camry, but I’d hopefully spend more time driving it than having it in the shop.

And I’ve just always liked Mustangs (Corvettes and Camaros, too, but I kinda like the louder styling of the Stang at the price point).

If it’s a dumb idea, maybe I’ll just sink that fun money into a Custom Shop and/or a Matchless or something, instead.

2. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

Depends on what kind you want. The older you go, the more expensive parts get. The newer...same deal I guess? For $5000 you'll probably want to go with something from the 90s or early 2000s...you can get other Mustangs at that price, but condition goes down. I love my 88 hatchback Mustang, but it's got its problems too, mostly stuff wearing out after thirty years.

For 5K or less expect a lot of miles already on the car, a stolen car without a title, or an otherwise perfect car with something major either already broken or about to be. My advice? Settle for the one with a lot of miles. You can pretty much build a Mustang out of a catalog piece by piece these days if you really want to, so parts aren't exactly hard to find, even if you don't like the price. If you're looking at pre-2010s cars, don't expect the V8 cars to be in good shape...they're generally run hard and worn out, unless you happen across one that's been taken care of. Also, as far north as you are, watch out for rust!

When it comes to stuff breaking down, they're not particularly tough or fragile. Just...cars.

MarkieMark, stormsedge and naveed211 like this.
  3. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I have A 2010 Mustang GT convertible in GrabberBlue. Nothing like punching that baby on a long stretch of open highway and getting pushed into the back seat.
    Son in law had it up to 108 last week.

stormsedge and naveed211 like this.
  4. naveed211

Good advice. And yeah, I’m mostly looking at mid 90s to early 00s.

If not a V8, then probably a convertible. Something different if not all that fast.

stormsedge likes this.
  5. naveed211

I like the sound of that!

My Hyundai daily is deceivingly pretty quick...and comfortable and sensible.

But, I do want to get maybe just a little obnoxious, ha.

6. hmemerson

hmemerson Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Ironically I can comment on this thread.

We recently brought our 2020 Subaru Impreza in to have a new roof put on, courtesy of a branch that fell from an oak that has since been removed, but I digress.

The rental that waited at the body shop was a very large mini van, and my wife was getting sea sick riding in it, so we called the agency and asked if they had anything smaller. The only vehicle they had was 2020 Mustang convertible.

It's very crudely built, but it certainly can haul our old asses for the 3 weeks until we're back with our Subaru.

We both got a laugh the other evening when we exited the car, and we thought that something had fallen out of the door as we opened them. There's a Mustang shadow cast on the ground as the door opens!

It's not quite as fast as the 1967 350 327 Corvette I drove many years ago when my late friend, bassist Doug Stegmeyer, owned one.

THAT snapped your head back!

Regards,
    Howard Emerson

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    drmordo, stormsedge and naveed211 like this.
  7. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

I had a chance to buy a V6 1966 Mustang in 1985 for $900. I didn't do it because I was 17 and my dad suspected that I would spend all my time working on the car and ignoring my school work (I wouldn't have) and advised me against it.

My dad gave me lots of good advice over the years but I do wish I had bought that Mustang!

drmordo and naveed211 like this.
  8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

I’d also suggest checking with your insurance company for a quote prior to buying whatever you decide on.
    I’ve heard of horror stories regarding insurance premiums on sports cars.

Fiesta Red and naveed211 like this.
  9. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

If you don't like to wrench on cars or you're not mechanically inclined avoid it. I loved working on cars when I was younger. It was something you did with the guys. It was affordable, go to the junk yard pull parts, anything you needed. Hi performance parts were available everywhere. It's not like that now just a carburetor cost as much as the cars we used to have. My last two hot rods (63 Dodge Dart GT and a 62 Thunderbird) were getting more and more expensive to maintain so I sold them. Naturally the people that bought them were going to do amazing things with them. Both are now sitting on flat tires deteriorating. It's sad to see but I understand. It can be an expensive hobby. Just something to consider.

10. naveed211

Yeah, I’m at the point in life where I don’t want to have regrets.

I’ve had a lot of fancy guitar gear over the years, but have always gone for practicality and reliability with cars (not that that’s a bad thing), despite having muscle car and sports car posters on my wall as a teen and always loving them.

11. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have never owned one, but I've ridden in plenty of them over the years.
    Love 'em!

One of my senior aviators, but in the summer of 1979, owned a really clean 1966 Mustang rag-top.
    It was white with the blue interior.

I would often ride out the airfield with him in the morning, and he insisted that I say, "Good morning, Mister Mustang!" before he would unlock the passenger door and let me in.

:oops:

naveed211 likes this.
  12. naveed211

And that is definitely something I consider. I’m really not handy or mechanic-like at all. If I showed up at car shows or meet ups or whatever, I’d not be able to hang in those conversations...I’m the loser who’s just like “look at how cool it looks!”

13. naveed211

Yeah, they’re so ubiquitous but funny enough I’ve never ridden in one. I was dating a girl back in the day who had one, but that was very short-lived so I didn’t get to check it out. The car either!;)

14. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

That's funny. I had a friend who was dating a girl who still had the AMC Javalin that her parents bought for high school graduation. He totalled it the first time he drove it. For some reason she broke up with him. Go figure.

drmordo and naveed211 like this.
  15. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

5k is not enough for “not a wrench head.”

16. naveed211

That’s entirely possible. And I’m willing to accept that, and buy a boutique amp if that’s what the general consensus leads me to believe.

17. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

If you just have to spend some money, you're not really a car guy and you probably already have amps, St. Judes Children's Hospital would be a good place to throw 5 grand. And it's tax deductible.

naveed211 likes this.
  18. naveed211

Only have one amp, and very charitable, and bills are paid and family is getting taken care of. But I know what you’re saying, I certainly don’t need anything.

Red Ryder and stormsedge like this.
  19. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have a 2000 GT Convertible...V8/5spd. I do my own work. I bought it 3 or 4 years ago. It was in pretty good shape with ~85K miles and new wheels/tires.

I've left the motor (4.6 V8) stock with a mod to the factory cold air intake (15 minutes with a set of shears does wonders) and a catback exhaust (only changed it bc the previous owner had backed into something and crushed one of the pipe ends)..it barks now;). Well, okay, I did immediately change the intake to a Ford Performance unit bc the original was leaking coolant...it may flow a little better, but not who can really tell?. It is, however, a passenger car motor and is perfectly happy in traffic on hot days with the AC running...plenty of power should one wish to press things.

Be aware that the convertibles handle a bit different than the coupes due to flex induced by lack of the hard top. I eliminated the flex/twist and have go-cart/Miata handling with the change/addition of a few pieces...upsized f/r swaybars, Koni struts/shocks, f/r shock tower braces, aftermarket subframe connecters (the factory items are throwaways), and HD RLCA/upper bushings. These pieces also allow the car to just squat and get on hard acceleration. Very nice. I did NOT use lowering springs, which is a common addition to these cars, bc they often screw up the handling and create a hazard for dips/high points/railroad tracks on the local mountain roads. ((I'd have done the same mods to a coupe)).

One of the biggest driveability changes/upgrades I made right away was replacing the OEM shifter with an aftermarket unit (I used an MGS)...the factory shifters are just plain sloppy by the time the cars get into the 60-70K mileage zone. Big improvement.

There are tons of parts available for the '00-'04 Mustangs, if you are so inclined...and, as I mentioned, they only require the care and feeding of a regular passenger car vice an HP unit. If you like this particular body style and wish to pursue a GT (V8) car, I recommend you look for a 2001-2004, bc they have the later version of the 4.6 which is identical to those in thousands of Crown Victorias/Mercury Marquis'. (The 4.6 is a terrific little workhorse if taken care of...I let an '01 Crown Vic go with 160k miles on it a few years ago and still see it around town). ((The '00 like mine can easily take the later model motors as well, just be aware it is a little more involved and some parts have to move over to make the fit)).

I had a '63 Corvette roadster many years ago...the Mustang is as fast, more comfortable and certainly more refined.

I am Batman...
    mustang gt 1.PNG

Tail of the Dragon...
    mustang gt tailodragon.PNG

hdvades and naveed211 like this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The fastest cars I've ever driven, or maybe 'the fastest, I've ever driven a car' were both Mustangs.
    Maybe close to 100 MPH.

Not mine, in College- one was a 1967, and later in 1979, a green fastback 1969 Mustang GT fastback, with a 427 engine ( I think, I know nothing about cars, other than pony and muscle cars are awesome/beautiful) - exhilarating and terrifying!

naveed211 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.