Mustang III v2 stuck in some kind of diag mode

pivo

TDPRI Member
G'day,

I have a Mustang III v2 amp that won't fully start up. It's stuck in diag (I guess?) mode. I didn't do anything to put it into this mode, it just happened one day.

Picture attached!

Does anyone know how to get this thing to start up again?

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 120

ZenGuitarist

Tele-Afflicted
I think you might be in the Utility Menu. Try pressing the UTIL button.

If that doesn't work you could try to do a Factory Restore.

To restore the Mustang amplifier to factory settings:
1. Turn the amplifier OFF.
2. Press and hold the EXIT button while turning the amplifier ON. Continue holding the EXIT button until it is no longer illuminated.

pivo

TDPRI Member
Nope, neither of those worked. FWIW, all the buttons illuminate in a circle pattern. I'd post a video, but it doesn't look like I can.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
There are often undocumented ways to reset these kinds of devices (anything with digital controls).

Try the following--or different combinations of it...

With the amp plugged in and switched off, use three fingers to apply pressure to the buttons like this:

@ O @ O @

The @ signs are the buttons to press.

While holding these down, switch on the amp and see if it hard resets. If that doesn't work, try this:

O @ O @ O

Etc. Always start with the amp switched off.

pivo

TDPRI Member
There are often undocumented ways to reset these kinds of devices (anything with digital controls).

Try the following--or different combinations of it...

With the amp plugged in and switched off, use three fingers to apply pressure to the buttons like this:

@ O @ O @

The @ signs are the buttons to press.

While holding these down, switch on the amp and see if it hard resets. If that doesn't work, try this:
O @ O @ O
Etc. Always start with the amp switched off.

Nope, no go. I tried both combinations.

StevesBoogie

Tele-Afflicted
The following is what I found in a search ... BUT ... it erases all user presets. You will lose all modifications/tones that you created or imported from the Fender Tone community (I have the Mustang GTX-100)...

Press and hold the EXIT button while turning the amplifier ON. Continue holding the EXIT button until it is no longer illuminated. The FACTORY RESTORE function will erase all user modified presets.

john_cribbin

Tele-Afflicted
My gut impression is you are looking at fault codes on boot up.

Hopefully it's not the BIOS equivalent fried. I'd try and hook up to a computer and try and reinstall the firmware via Fender Fuse.

pivo

TDPRI Member
The following is what I found in a search ... BUT ... it erases all user presets. You will lose all modifications/tones that you created or imported from the Fender Tone community (I have the Mustang GTX-100)...

Press and hold the EXIT button while turning the amplifier ON. Continue holding the EXIT button until it is no longer illuminated. The FACTORY RESTORE function will erase all user modified presets.

Yes, Zenguitarist had the same thoughts, but this did not work for me.

pivo

TDPRI Member
My gut impression is you are looking at fault codes on boot up.

Hopefully it's not the BIOS equivalent fried. I'd try and hook up to a computer and try and reinstall the firmware via Fender Fuse.

Fender has discontinued Fuse support completely, so it took me quite a while to find the firmware and fuse installer. I did eventually succeed in re-installing the FW. I even managed to update it by a rev or 2. Unfortunately, it has made no difference. I still have this issue.

john_cribbin

Tele-Afflicted
Hate to say it, but you may have lost a combo but gained a 1x12 cab.

As far as I'm aware, Fender never repaired these under warranty, they just replaced them.

Your only option may be to find a used circuit board on ebay and swop it out. Hopefully someone will have the magic cure ...

pivo

TDPRI Member
I have made some progress. When I use fuse to select presets, it seems to work again, but only when I use fuse.

pivo

TDPRI Member
Hate to say it, but you may have lost a combo but gained a 1x12 cab.

As far as I'm aware, Fender never repaired these under warranty, they just replaced them.

Your only option may be to find a used circuit board on ebay and swop it out. Hopefully someone will have the magic cure ...

Yes, I'm tending to agree with you. The fact that it only works with fuse leads me to believe that the board is dead.

john_cribbin

Tele-Afflicted
OK, my brains ticking over slowly .... Mines on the other side of the Irish Sea, so I've hardly seen it in the last year. As I recall, you can load presets into Fuse and play them through the amp, they don't need to be on the amp. Maybe the memory on the amp isn't storing the presets, but it will play them via a computer?

If you have an Android phone get Remuda, it does the same as Fuse - only better. Be a lot easier to control the amp with a phone than hook up to a computer.

pivo

TDPRI Member
OK, my brains ticking over slowly .... Mines on the other side of the Irish Sea, so I've hardly seen it in the last year. As I recall, you can load presets into Fuse and play them through the amp, they don't need to be on the amp. Maybe the memory on the amp isn't storing the presets, but it will play them via a computer?

If you have an Android phone get Remuda, it does the same as Fuse - only better. Be a lot easier to control the amp with a phone than hook up to a computer.

This is what I suspect as well, the amp is at least usable with a computer. So it's not a total loss!

I have an android phone that I don't use but it has USB 3 and the amp is mini USB, I'd have to find a USB 3 to mini cable. I'm not sure such a thing exists.

ZenGuitarist

Tele-Afflicted
Sure, USB to mini USB cables exist. I have several of them. It doesn't need to be USB 3. All my cables are USB 2 to mini USB and work just fine whether I plug the USB end into a USB 2 or USB 3 port.

pivo

TDPRI Member
Sure, USB to mini USB cables exist. I have several of them. It doesn't need to be USB 3. All my cables are USB 2 to mini USB and work just fine whether I plug the USB end into a USB 2 or USB 3 port.

Sorry, I meant USB C. The android device I have is USB C, so I'd need USB C to Mini USB.