Mustang III V2 Factory Restore problem

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by garytelecastor, May 13, 2014.

1. sixstringedmatt

sixstringedmatt TDPRI Member

Not a problem Gary! Hope this helps them sort things out even if its not the same issue. Definitely let us know what happens!

2. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I am in a situation where my entertainment room has fluorescent lights and the buzz was terrible when I first got the amp.
    I bought a Behringer NR300 or noise reducer and it cut almost all of the buzz out of the cycle.
    I also bought a Hum Debugger by EHX and that actually works a little better.
    Neither one of them works well in the FX loop. The HD is line driven so it works best right at the start of your chain straight out of the guitar.
    I have pulled the NR300 off my board because it is overkill. Buy an HD. You will not regret it.
    I used mine with my Cube 60 and my PB and my tele and there wasn't a noise out of the amp-except for that which I call guitar playing, everyone else calls it noise-all night. But you have to follow the instructions on how to use the pedal.
    They come with their own adapter and you have to use that and nothing hotter. It's 7.5 volt and not 9V. I called and talked to the tech dept at EHX about using it through the FX loop and he said flat out it wasn't a good idea and it would more than likely damage the pedal. Too much signal.

One last thing. Some people think that the Behringer stuff is junk, and I have only tried this pedal. But I find it just as effective as a $125 Boss. I wouldn't take it on a six month tour on the road, but it's perfect for bar gigs and they are only $25.

3. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Gary... Did you ever find out what happened to the amp and/or get a fix for it? Still curious what happened to cause the presets to disappear

4. sixstringedmatt

This is helpful. I'll keep an eye out for one My buzz is terrible and I'll try almost anything short of moving to fix it.

5. garytelecastor

Actually with the weekend holiday T4, I didn't get to call the service center until Tues. I got a message from the owner saying he was going out turkey hunting for the week and wouldn't be back until next week.
    I called Fender and told them that Matt had filled me in on the problem as the DSP chip.
    One of the guys there said that is what they thought it was but they didn't tell me.
    Makes me wonder why.
    Anyway, as they were the ones who told me to call the service center, I told him about the guy being out for a week, and he said to give the guy until friday and then he would call.
    I doubt he will, so I am going to call tomorrow.

6. garytelecastor

Okay, so here is the update since I last called.
    1.) The amp is at a place called "The Good Guys" in St. Paul, Mn.
    When I originally talked with the Consumer Relations back before time began,
    they had told Fender they could get it right in and have it fixed right away.
    Obviously that has not happened.
    2.) I have called and talked to guys at Fender quite a bit, and they keep telling me that
    they have been told that the amp was being worked on.
    3.) I called and talked to Jimmy at the Good Guys today, and he told me that they are
    working on the amp, but don't think that they can get it done before next week.
    So, who needs to do what?
    At this point I am ready to call and talk to someone over the head of the service guys and deal with an exec at Fender. But any advice could be useful.
    I believe that the Good Guys are lying and haven't even begun to work on the amp.
    These guys have a rep throughout the area of being flaky at best.
    So do I wait, or do I make a different move??? :confused: :confused:

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

I would call and try to get a hold of someone high up. I think you deserve a new amp at this point. The 5 year warranty gave you confidence, you had faith that they'd honor it and you've been jerked around now for weeks.
    NOT ACCEPTABLE !!!!

THEY OWE YOU !!!

Lower the verbal boom. You'll spread this story around every forum you can find and cost them some sales. Threaten them legally, as sometimes that's the only language that crooks understand. You are a working musician....not that it SHOULD matter, but I think it does. No more Mr. Nice guy....

and always.....be of good cheer. :)
    Peace be with you. You have every right to be angry.

8. jaytee32

jaytee32 Tele-Meister

A DSP chip should be a pop-out / pop-in deal. Comparable to doing a memory upgrade on a Mac. If you have all the parts on hand, and they know what they're doing, it's a 20 minute job.

9. sixstringedmatt

Agreed. I waited 2 weeks for repair. Most of that was spent waiting on the part. When I called for an update they said they just got the chip in. Not 24 hours later they told me it was ready for pickup.

10. garytelecastor

So I got a call today from Fender. They talked to the owner and he said that there is some board that needs to be replaced, but they don't have the board. So now I have to wait so Fender can send them the board.
    I am supposed to get a call from the Mgr of Consumer Relations here today at some point. We'll see.
    So far, if it hadn't been for me calling them nothing would be getting done.
    I was upset, then it looked like they were going to jump on this thing, and now we have gone back to my being pi**ed again.
    There is only so many times a person can hear "I understand your frustration, but....".

11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Did you ask them to quit wasting your time and send you a new amp?
    Obviously, this so called Fender Service center should have contacted them
    on Day #1, telling Fender to send them the board or any number of boards that might be a contributor.

If they didn't know right away what was causing the problem, didn't have any Mustang boards, then they probably haven't worked on Mustangs before.

Fender can pony up and send you a new amp and they can recycle your old one, even though it would cost them more money to ship it than it's worth to them.
    Anytime you're ready,
    post the phone #'s you've been calling and we can collectively flood their phone lines with complaints regarding your treatment....don't have to mention names.

12. garytelecastor

Thanks Jim.
    I got a call from Fender yesterday. They stated that the service center will have the part by Mon and they will have it fixed by Mon.
    Now if there are any further problems they are going to give me a new amp.
    The major problem here has been with The Good Guys in St. Paul. They are known through out the community here as the The Stay Away From Guys.
    I tried to tell that to Fender but they wouldn't listen.
    So I wait til Mon and then we see what happens either way, I will have an amp on Tues.
    Then if they don't come through numbers will go up.

13. Acmebatmansuit

Acmebatmansuit TDPRI Member

That's good to hear GT. I too have recently experienced the white screen of death. A week ago I ordered a Mustang Floor from Sweetwater and it arrived on Thursday. I unboxed it on Friday, plugged it it, and there was the white screen. No sound. The firmware update would work when I plugged it into Fuse, and the buttons all worked-I could see on my computer screen that presets were changing-but nothing on the screen. I called Sweetwater Tech Support-now there's some prodigious wait times-and they said they would ship me out a new one. Sent a return label by email right away I shipped it right off. The tech guy said to email him as soon as I shipped it, so he could send off the replacement.which I did. 24 hours later, I got an email saying he would be out of the office until June 16. Another call to Sweetwater with 20 minutes of hold, he had not shipped it out, the new guy promised to do so right away. We'll see. I'm trying to be optimistic about the whole thing.

14. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

I trust Sweetwater ...... I think they're one of THE best to deal with today.

I don't trust a store of business such as GC, where I've busted them sending defecting merchandise from store to store instead of taking it off their inventory list and having it shipped back for repairs.

15. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Glad were finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I'd ask Fender if you can file a formal complaint against the "stay away from guys".

Fender has the power to cut them loose.

16. garytelecastor

Well, I got a call today that my amp is ready. So tomorrow I go up to the cities and pick it up. I think that someone from Fender high up talked to them, because after the last time I got a "Well, we'll do it, when we get to it" bit, they suddenly were calling me and giving me updates etc.
    Of course, after that call, I called Fender and told them that I wanted a new amp as they had blown it by choosing these guys for my repairs.
    So I am a firm believer in quadruple chances so we will see how the amp turns out tomorrow.
    Again, I can't thank you guys enough for all the support and input.

17. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Glad to hear Gary.

It certainly has taken long enough...

18. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Hey, I'm really glad you're finally getting it back. Maybe this incident will put a fire under the butts of the Stay Away from Boys to get their poop together. I imagine they are a complaint away from getting axed.

19. garytelecastor

I went up and picked it up and met the owner. He is actually at retirement age and the kid he has working for him is about 17. So I don't know how things will turn out with Fender. I know that they are now aware of the situation. One of the guys I talked with said, "We can't possibly know the daily in and outs of al of our service centers." I replied, "That's why I am telling you."
    Anyhow, maybe all of the grief I gave them will help the next person so they don't just get the standard thematic fare.

The amp is working fine so far. I am going to give it a couple of weeks before final decisions.
    I had something interesting happen on the way home. I stopped at a music store that is run by a friend of mine. An Asian man walked in and had a Jackson guitar and a BCB 60 with a CS 3, MZ 1, DD3, TU2, and a Super Choruis he was trying to sell. So picked up the pedal board pretty cheap with the pedals.
    I don't know yet but I may just give the pedals away, I will never use them. We'll see.
    Anyway, thanks again for all of the direction on how to approach this. You guys really helped.

20. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Looking out for the next guy is a great attitude to have. Think how much grief could be avoided if everybody would do what you did. I believe the Fender guy was right when he said "We can't possibly know the daily in and outs of all of our service centers" and the reason is that many people don't complain when they should. By you telling them, I hope they took you seriously. I have a feeling they'll take note of your complaint. Fender should be thanking you for that because a lousy service center DOES reflect on them.

I'd think that if anything goes else goes wrong within the 5 year warranty span, you are looking at getting a brand new amp. You paid your dues already, above and beyond what's reasonable.

Did you have your presets backed up on you hard drive, so you don't have to start over?

Anyway, most importantly, I'm glad you're up and running again.
    "Pressed Rat and Warthog is open for business", as Ginger Baker said from stage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.