Mustang III V2 Factory Restore problem

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by garytelecastor, May 13, 2014.

1. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I hit some button on the user face of the amp and I lost all of my presets. So I went to the Manual and it said to hold down the exit button, and turn the amp on and it will factory restore. So I did that, and it did nothing. All I have basically is a white screen where the presets were.
    I installed Fender Fuse, and that hasn't been going well either. My computer keeps telling me that it is trying to Sync with my amp.
    How do I get the amp to factory restore? There has to be a way.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I don't think you should ever loose all your presets even if you do a reset... It should just restore the factory presets. Sounds like something went wrong and maybe time to give fender a call

From what I read to do a reset, power of, hold exit button, power on and wait for the exit light to go out

3. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Definitely call Fender Gary.
    These amps are loved for their simplicity, but a button push shouldn't erase everything.... maybe it is time to get a replacement.

4. garytelecastor

Waiting to hear from Fender

Thanks you guys for your input.
    I took your advice and called Fender. I talked to a guy named Alan in tech support. We ran through a couple of fixes-nothing I hadn't tried-and came up empty. He said that it needs to go to the service center. I told him the nearest service center is a 140 mile round trip and I was disappointed that pushing two buttons could destroy the amp.

So Alan told me he was going to contact Consumer Relations and they would call me today. It's now 8:45 pm and still no phone call.
    So I guess I try again tomorrow.
    Anyway, it looks like a reboot is out of my hands.

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Whoa, I'm really sorry to hear that, Gary.

This is a first I've read about anything weird like that happening. Just curious, what menu were you in?

"My computer keeps telling me that it is trying to Sync with my amp
    ."

That happened to me recently. So's I put the USB cord in a different port on the PC and then it linked up. I don't know why that happened. If that didn't work, I would have rebooted my computer. Maybe it's a Windows 8 thing. That never happened with Windows XP.

You didn't have your presets backed up on FUSE (on your harddrive) or did you?

When you have the amp hooked up to your computer, every time you save your preset on the amp it automatically gets saved on your computer too. If you choose to save the original preset, you just give your new preset a different name and then both get saved. There's a separate folder that store all the factory presets too. You probably know all that already..so..

I'll be watching close to see how they resolve this. Their service guy treated me right back in November, regarding the fizz thing, but this is different.

I learned that there's a lot of steps they can do over the phone to get problems resolved, but if they don't have one for this weird white screen thing, I think you're looking at Fender replacing your Mustang III with a new one.

Either way, I hope you're up and running back to normal soon. Good that the manufactures warranty gives you a safety net of 5 years.

6. garytelecastor

thanks for writing Jim
    I didn't have the amp hooked up at any time before last night to the computer. I was plugging in the usb cord and I hit the tap and exit button at the same time and it wiped out all of my presets. So I spent until 5 am trying to get them back and finally gave up. I had never dealt with Fuse until last night. It looks like a cool program, but I have yet to see anyplace there that explains how to use it.
    That's not really going to affect much if I can't get the amp up. I am looking forward to talking to Fender today and see what they are going to do.
    The other thing that kind of surprises me is that they would have such a harmful process so easily accessible on the front panel.
    According to the tech guy, the amp is fried. Why would they put such a debiliating couple of switches right next to each other, at such an easily accessible point on the amp.
    I have had the amp less than a year, and I just love it. But I know Fender too, and we'll see how concerned they are with a customer or not.

7. garytelecastor

Got through to the Customer Rep today, and his suggestion was that I take it to a service center. As a service he would call and find which one in my area has the shortest turn around time.
    So the basic message is, "Take the amp to a service center, they will check out what's wrong," and he stated that I would be responsible for the bill. Other than that there really wasn't anything he could do for me.
    So I guess I try to reach someone again tomorrow.

8. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

YOU would be responsible for the bill ? What happened to their 5 year warranty? I don't get that AT ALL. I'm ticked. This clearly is a malfunction of the amp and not due to any abuse or anything YOU did wrong. Why the hell would they put 2 buttons together that could cause that? I wanna know. :mad: I feel like calling and asking them that question myself. Every Mustang owner has a right to know. I doubt if you're the only one it's ever happened too, but this is the first I've heard about it.

Tell him to try pushing them same 2 buttons on HIS Mustang or one that belongs to his best friend and see what he says. Let's hear him BS his way out of that one.

YOU foot the bill? I don't think so. Let me know what happens, PLEASE.
    Good luck!

Giving this some further thought, if they don't make this right, I'm calling Fender and I'll let em know that my "new" Mustang III that I bought a few days ago...cough cough.. is going back to the store, based on how you're being treated. This could have happened to anyone of us. I thought that warranty meant something.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  9. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

that sounds like poor service, is there more to the story?

10. garytelecastor

I called and talked to a tech guy today, and he went way above the call of duty to try and figure out what happened with the amp.
    Long story short, they want me to take the amp to a service center. I have no problem with that. One of their CR guys talked to the tech guy and he was going to find a suitable service rep and call me back tonight. He didn't call, so I am assuming that he hasn't found a suitable place yet.
    The tech that helped me today was nothing but professional, courteous, and knowledgeable.
    He went up to engineering and had one of the guys from that dept come down and help diagnose what was going on.
    This is more service than I would ever expect coming from any company.
    So now, I will just wait and see what place they want me to deal with.
    Until then, I have other amps that I can use, but I really love this Mustang.
    Thanks so much you guys for all your support.
    And Fender, if you are reading this, which I know they are, thank you as well.

Were it my company, I would probably just send out a new amp, but I got to thinking of it from Fender's side. They have thousands of amps that are sold all over the world every day. If every time one of them had a problem they wouldn't stay in business long if they just sent out a new amp. So I am content to bring it to a service rep.

Steven, Alan, and Darryl have all been courteous and professional.

11. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Stay firm on Fenders warranty , someone fed you a line on their accountability . Just keep going up the chain of command till you get this resolved. I would just ask for a replacement.

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

We'll I'm glad they're coming around, now we'll see how long this takes and how it gets resolved. They shouldn't keep you hanging for too long....I"m not sure what's reasonable, but two things I'm looking at:

- that you've already been inconvenienced enough, no money should come out of you're pocket......not much anyway.

- how long this takes------ again, I've never heard of this defect and I know that, using their own words that 95% of issues with this amp can be resolved over the phone. I have no reason not to believe that BUT you're amp is one of those 5% er's. So I agree that your's should be replaced with BRAND new or 100% confidence that your's is fixed.

We shall see. Good luck brother.

Oh, and if Fender is reading this...I'll come clean...I've had my Mustang for more than a few days....your customer service fixed my issue quick last fall.....but still ..........REPLACE THIS MAN's AMP with a NEW ONE. He's been through enough.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  13. sixstringedmatt

sixstringedmatt TDPRI Member

I had a similar issue actually. Just got my amp back from repair. I was adding a new external pedal to my chain and when I looked at the amp all I saw was a white screen. The amp wouldn't emit any sound and I couldn't get anything to come up on the display. Apparently the DSP chip just up and died. May have been coincidence that you were fooling with buttons when something just up and quit working.

14. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Yikes. Let's hope this isn't a trend for " The White Screen of Death" .

Two cases does not make an epidemic, but that's two that we have now learned about this past week. Everyone remain calm, and exit quietly with no pushing.

Fender, our collective eyes are upon you. :eek: :neutral:

We TRUST you will do the RIGHT thing.

BTW, sixstringedmatt, what kind of pedal were you using when this happened?

15. sixstringedmatt

I was adding a superego to my chain.

I'm probably an oddball but I only use the m3 for amp modeling. Everything else comes from too many pedals. All pedals were fine and still are fine after the white screen incident.

16. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I use pedals out front, too. Everything I've used sounds really good through the Mustang III v2, even some of my noisier pedals. I do notice that some cords that were suspect in other rigs are glaringly deficient going through the Mustang. Just junky patch cords. Got rid of them and everything is pretty quiet.

17. sixstringedmatt

I'm in an apartment and the power here is terrible. We also have a dimmer in the only room I can set up shop.

I'm so used to buzz and noise so I can't comment on how "clean" my chain really is :(

18. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Dimmer switches.......one of the biggest predators to cause amp buzz.

I don't think they're cheap, but it might be worth it to by a device that regulates the current going into your amp. Otherwise you are putting you computer, amp and many other electrical items at risk under the conditions you describe.

Back in the late 80's, we played at a club that had horrible electrical problems, dimmer switches and all that crap. I lost an expensive midi device before the band invested in some high end surge protector that kept the current flow at a steady rate and got rid of the buzz.

19. sixstringedmatt

Thanks for the tip. I have it all in a decent surge protector but its definitely not regulating voltage. I'll have to try something out if I can sell some other gear to finance it. Talked to an electrician and he thought given how the buildings wired that I wouldn't see much luck with any power conditioners though.

20. garytelecastor

Six String-Thanks so much for posting that.
    I was told by the guys at Fender that they had never had this happen before.
    So I now can go to them and tell them I found out what the problem is.
    Again, brutha, thanks so much.

After I talked to the head of tech, they have been really good with me.
    In fact one of the guys called me on something I had written on in the Fender forums
    that was a blatant mistake on my part and I am glad he did.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.