1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mustang III, Blues Cube or Quilter Mini 101?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by howlin, Dec 28, 2015.

1. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

For a little background: I'm primarily a bass player. Like many bass players I also play some guitar. I went from playing acoustic to electric (I now have a FrankenTele) and have spent the past 5 years running my guitars thru a Digitech RP355 pedal. These days I use it just for the effects - chorus, 808 & delay. My amp is a Vox SS Vox Pathfinder 10. With headphones it's rockin' set-up for my needs.

Lately, I've been leaning towards upgrading and have gone 'round & 'round as to which rig would serve my purposes. Since there are enough bass players at the monthly jam I'm planning on showing up next month wth my guitar rig. Of course, the Vox won't cut it and I'm not really looking forward to making a role change and, at the same time, having to learn to make things work with the house 4x12 Marshall stack.

I started off focusing on the Mustang for size, power, price & my familiarity with setting up a digital system. Thing of it is I'm really happy (for the moment) with my pedal set-up and I'm not sure about starting over at this point in time. That lead me to re-thinking things and I went completely the other direction and have been seriously considering the Quilter Mini 101 with a 1x12 cabinet. Just as I'm about to pull the trigger I find some YT videos demoing the Roland Blues Cube with the 1x12 cabinet.

Obviously, I've become rather conflicted. The Mustang rules on price. The Blues Cube appeals with it's four seperate amp selector. The Quilter is tops for reknowned sound and reputation (QSC,etc.). Sometimes having so many choices feels as much like a curse as a blessing. Anyone wanna chime in with your 2 cents? Now would be the time...

Thanks.

2. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A used Roland Cube 80XL (or similar - Cube 60 if a good one can be found) would be a lot cheaper way to go. You've got the amp models, including the JC, a totable 1x12 with plenty of jam power.

I haven't played the Blue Cube, but I don't get the pricing. I'd definitely look at used in that direction, if you go there.

Mustang is going to take some time learning if you want to use it to replace your current effects. The III is well thought of around here, though, and is also a nice size for packing around. I'd A/B one of those against the Cube 80 (GX is current) at GC if you can, then look for a used one of your choice. Both will be useful or turnable if you decide to move up/on later.

3. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

I own a Cube 40gx that I use around the house on occasion when the kids are awake and I cant go to the basement to play one of my tube amps. The Cube is an underrated solid state in my opinion. The clean / JC channel is great, and the effects are surprisingly usable.

I also like to plug an MP3 player into it and use it for jam / backing tracks.

Good amp, reasonably priced and versatile.

4. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

The Blues Cube is in a differant class to the normal Roland Cubes.

5. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

The Mustang III is a great amp. I never played the others mentioned but you could play the Mustang with pedals if you want. I go back and forth between using a pedal board with mine or just switching between a few presets I made for clean crunch and lead.

I originally bought the Mustang because I wanted something cheap to leave at my rehearsal space and not have to drag out my heavy expensive tube amps. I now use the Mustang most of the time and gig with it because it is light weight and sounds good. The TRS direct outs are great for going right into the board playing out. I think it is the best bang for the buck amp out there right now. It is plenty loud enough for any kind of gig or jam. You could probably find a used MIII V2 for $200-$250.

Another great amp to add to your list to try would be a Tech21 Trademark 60.

6. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

I like the Quilter. I first became interested in them from a bassist that I was playing with. On another gig he played with a guy that was using one. He kept talking about what a great amp it was, then about 6 months ago a band that opened for one of the bands I play in had a guitarist that used one. I couldn't believe the tone. It was GREAT!!! If you don't need the effects that the Mustang or the Cube has, I think the Quilter sounds better.

7. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

We don't see a lot of Quilter amps yet over in the UK but looking forward to trying one, the Blues cube comes with reverb or reverb and tremolo so not to be confused with the all singing all dancing cheaper cubes, whilst the Mustangs sound good apparently they need a lot of tweaking and programming to get the best out of them and personally I don't think they are much more than decent sounding practice amps, the Tech 21 TM 60 mentioned is a favorite of mine which is worth a look.

8. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Can't speak on Quilter, I have played on a couple blues cubes (I have bass and guitar micro-cubes) , but I own a Mustang III.
    Like you, I was a bassist first, and added guitar later. Decided over a decade ago, I wanted a unified solution. Of the unified effects/modelers I had, the Digitech RPX 400 was the one I preferred... Until I got the MIII. The Digitech gets pulled out for a bit of whammy action once in a while (it's not that it's better at it than the MIII with EXP 1 doing it, just more what I was used to). I used to pull it out for the drum machine also, but not since I got a beat buddy. I've downloaded some presets, but made most of my own (usually around the Fender Models). I've had a III since they came out, and I have zero interest in another guitar amp since (other than the micro cube, because BATTERIES).

The biggest thing with modelers (as you've found with your Digitech I'm sure), is you have to tweak it for each guitar. I have multiples of the same presets tweaked for my guitars, i.e. '65 DR S, '65 DR T, '65 DR 51, etc... S being Strat, T Tele, 51... You get the idea. While you CAN do everthing from the front panel on a III, Fuse makes it easy for arduous chores like naming presets, or swapping effects pre or post amp and the like. The learning curve is a fraction of what the RP series was (because most of the controls look or work like a pedal board once you learn navigation).

Happy shopping!

9. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

You say you have played a couple of blues cubes, the bass and micro, these are not blues cubes, the Roland Blues cube is an expensive pro amp, the originals were 100% analogue the new ones do have some sort of digital stuff going on but have nothing in common with the two you mentioned.

10. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

I have played the current digital models in shops, I was never suggesting what I have is such, mostly to indicate I do not have a bias against Roland (which is how these things go sometimes).

11. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.