Mustang III Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by TDPRI, Mar 4, 2011.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Just joined the Mustang III Club

A few months ago I bought a Mustang II but last week I traded in the MII for a Mustang III v2, the MII was nice but it was a pain trying to tell what model amp was on, the LCD on the MIII is a very useful feature, plus it's got some seriously loud volume when needed, the house was shaking when I cranked it to 10 as a test. Anyway, I'm very impressed with the MIII, out of the box it's like owning every amp ever made for $300, an excellent mate for my Tele.

Not that I'm planning on doing it too often but will the stock speaker handle being cranked up to 10 without blowing apart? My old Princeton Chorus Reverb speakers blew apart one day while cranking it up, had to replace the speakers.

2. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i posed this question in amp central but no response as yet.. thought i'd try my luck in the m3 club...

so, what's the difference between the original mustang series and the 'v2' ? is it just a software upgrade ?

i'm looking at swapping a couple of pedals for a mustang, and i believe it is likely the original... will i be able to push some firmware to it to make it 'v2' ?

3. av8theskies

av8theskies Tele-Meister

I think they addressed the fizzy issue and changed the power amp section and beefed it up.....I could be wrong but it wasn't just a software upgrade

4. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Got my Stang3 V2 about 3 months ago. I wasn't really happy with it at first, all the presets used to much gain for me. After a few nights of adjusting everything I'm in love with it now!! I'm just a basement rock star, haven't gigged since the early 70's but I'm sure this baby would work just fine for a bar band or maybe more. Fender done good with this line of amps. I've got the Mustang 1 also but just use it mainly for recording.

5. popthree

Hmm .. so v1 is old smelly?

6. popthree

another question.. is anyone using the mustang 3 with a looper in the effects loop?

i'd like to run my rang through the loop, but i want to be sure the effects loop is 'post effects' so i can loop something clean, then put down another layer with different effects.. say maybe a little delay for example.. is that going to work with this amplifier ?

7. SybotCB

SybotCB TDPRI Member

I used to do this all the time with the V1, that is how it works. After effects, but before power amp.

8. popthree

I did the trade. Amp looks to be in good shape...kind of surprised it doesn't have a line out....

9. sixstringedmatt

sixstringedmatt TDPRI Member

Any ambient guitar players using this as a clean base? Looks like a great apartment amp, but I worry if a compressor and pog2 with upper and lower octaves might cause it to distort? I think the m3 is my best bet if it can handle the pog2 and comp. All other effects will be in the fx loop.

Thanks!

10. popthree

i'm working towards being an 'ambient' guitarist, but the guys who are good at it put me to shame. that said, i do what i do.. mostly looping drone type stuff. i'm running a boomerang3 through the effects loop, and i have a tc electronics hall of fame and an inbanez delay hitting the front of the amp.

i've been using the compressor stomps built into the mustang 3 rather than my marshall 'the compressor' ..for now anyway, so i haven't tried it out front. but i'd be surprised if it made the amp distort.

this amp takes pedals just fine to my ear.

here's a sample of what i'm doing with it, this is the 65 twin model with a few tweaks i added.

https://soundcloud.com/bonanzalunchbox/loop-11-14-2013

correction, i don't have any effects hitting the front of the amp. i have the HOF and the delay pedal right in front of the rang3, so the send on my effects loop is hitting the delay and then the reverb, and then the looper, out of the looper and back into the return on the amp. sorry for the mis-info. i have tinkered with putting a volume pedal on the front of the amp, which seems to work fine...but i don't usually play with any overdrive.

11. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I love my M V2 III. I actually have started using it on stage.
    I like what you are doing. Very cool.
    Great tone. As I commented on, it actually sounds a little better to my ear than the
    original twin.

12. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think you are going to have any problems with distortion with this amp.
    Each of the different facets-Amp, stomp, mod, delay, reverb-are all individually controlled.
    This is more than an apt amp. There is 100 W in the M3 and it has plenty of punch to cover a gig.

I run my PB into the front of the amp and not the FX loop. There is a whole series of different pre-sets that go from 0-75 and from there all of the amps are there with empty sets. You just run it as you would any other non-modelling amp.

13. sixstringedmatt

Pop three, sounds great man! I'm a novice but I love stuff like that. Is that an ebow I hear?!

Thanks! I read that someone's pog clipped the signal, but they may have tried it with a preset. I recognize this has a lot of power... I only want the 3 for the effects loop. As of now, I run everything into a thr10c and it overloads the front end. The fx loop seems like it'll do the trick. Glad to know on a clean setting I won't overload the dsp with the pog2. Now to muster some extra cash for this bad boy.

Do you use dirt in the front? I have a wampler pinnacle I hope can mesh well. How is the studio pre? Seems like a good base for a dirt box.

Thanks again!

14. popthree

Yes EBow. I'm happy with the mustang... lots of good sounds and easy to configure...very intuitive.

15. sixstringedmatt

My buddy has a M3 v1 and he's let me borrow it. Amazing amp. I am so pleased with this thing! I am waiting to sell some stuff off and get the v2 as I like the extra models, no fizz, etc. Can't wait to pull the trigger on this thing!

16. RobBnTX

RobBnTX Tele-Meister

I'm in the club! Just got my v2 yesterday. I think it is going to be a fun learning experience.

17. sixstringedmatt

Ordered a m3 v2 today, gets here Thursday. Looking forward to the amp models my buddy's v1 doesn't have.

18. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

I'm still loving my MIII V-1. It's an awesome and versatile amp. I also bought a Mustang Floor model to run straight into the board for low volume situations, but I've only needed it one time in close to a year so it's for sale in the TDPRI classifieds. My MIII ain't going anywhere!

19. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

If you do have an MIII v1 and suddenly come down with a case of the dreaded FIZZ, do a factory reset, as shown in your manual, or under "Utilities" or "help" on your FUSE amp screen.

It happened to mine, just out of the blue. I'd never heard it before but all of a sudden it appeared. This was about a couple months ago or so. I called Fender support, the guy told me to do the reset and my problem would be solved. He said "it's rare but it can happen". I kind of doubted him, thinking this sounds too easy to get rid of and the guy is just feeding me a line.
    I did the reboot.......it took about 5 seconds. Problem solved and has never been back.

If you think about it, we all need to reboot our home PC's once in a while, right? I didn't lose anything because it was automatically stored on my desktop. All I had to do was reload my patches back into the amp.

This made me wonder how many people bought the amp, got a taste of the FIZZ, freaked out and returned the amp without going through Fender Customer service first?
    They return the amp and then go on forums and bash them, when a simple reboot very likely could have fixed the problem.....
    Anyway, that was my experience. I use my amp just about everyday and this has happened once. I can live with that.

20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Picked up a v2 about a month back in racing red. [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.