1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mustang III Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by TDPRI, Mar 4, 2011.

1. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

I got one. Like it a lot. I keep the III in the front room and a Mustang I in my den or office at work

2. ooglybong

ooglybong TDPRI Member

I've had my Mustang III for a couple of months now and love it. Right now, just using it as a practice amp, but who knows in the right situation? I esp. like that Fender seems to be more a "cleaner-directioned" modeling amp rather than the other companies who seem geared a bit more to the distorted end of things. (Not that either won't do either, of course!) I guess having more Fender amps in the amp's brain will do that, though, right?

In fact, I started out with a Mustang II back in October and ended up giving it to my son (who's learning guitar) in moving up to the III. Really, between the power and speaker upgrades, along with the vast GUI improvements, it was an absolute no-brainer (IMO) for someone who likes the II. (I also gave my brother a Mustang I for Christmas. He's a bassist and more a talented dabbler on guitar, but he absolutely loves it, too. Esp. the clean sounds. He also loves the tiny size of the I.) BTW, in comparing the II and III side-by-side when I had them both, the III was *clearly* the better sounding amp, IMO (possibly because of the upgraded Celestion speaker and open-back design).

Have not even gotten into the computer interface with my Mac yet (besides just loading the software and trying it out for a few minutes), but I plan on it in the future.

3. iowa

iowa Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

New member to the club here. I just picked up a Mustang 3 yesterday, and ordered a 4 button footswitch that should arrive in a couple of days. I haven't registered it on Fuse yet, but i do have a G-Dec3 that I have used on Fuse.

Thus far, I'm really digging the 2 Deluxe amps and the Bassman:D. I'm not a big fan of most of the presets, but the 2 Neil Young presets look promising. I'm looking forward to building a cool jazz fusion tone. BTW, I am currently playing thru the Mustang with a Epi Sheraton w/ Bigsby. I'm now saving my pennies for a CV Tele.

4. floppus

floppus TDPRI Member

Had mine for a couple of weeks now. Tried it in the store and was quite impressed but only flicked through a few of the on board presets.

Since I got it home and connected the fuse software I am beginning to realise what an awsome tool this thing could be.

My main guitar is a tele nash, but I play many others including wired acoustics , 2 old jazzers, Burns Marvin, 335, Rick, and a LP. This amp loves them all. I'm looking to have 10 to 12 presets set up for each electric guitar and a couple for acoustic and be able to match this amp to styles from 40's through to today.

Buck for buck Great!!!!!!!!

5. tuxtux

tuxtux TDPRI Member

Hi there,
    I wanna buy myself a Mustang III next week.
    90% what I play is Jazz music,

My question is: "How is the (clean) Jazz sound of the Mustang III" ?

Any advise or idea's ?

Thanks
    Clavan

6. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a bit like that. My musical technology comfort level is about 1961.

I also like simplicity so I can just get into playing as opposed to wondering whether 'another setting' would be better.

I have a Blues Junior.....one channel.
    And a ZT Lunchbox...one channel.
    And a Cube 60...which I use as a one channel amp. And the fact that I can turn it on and that 'one channel' is right there without any flickering light displays or having to go find it is partly why I like the thing. The controls work like a plain old analogue amp as well.
    All 3 amps are reliable too.

I've not had a chance to try a Mustang out yet, but the 'plug-in-and-go' factor will decide if I actually get one.

7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Iwould say the TWIN model would be very good clean jazz tone IMHO

8. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

Just bought a Mustang III on the weekend, it will be gigged on Saturday with Groove Hammer - www.groovehammer.ca. A tweaked '57 Twin will be my go to tone!!! I'll put up a more detailed review after it gets a workout on stage, but it looks like it'll fast be replacing my Performer 650 and my Roc Pro 1000.

Hmmm, I guess I'll be needing a second one for backup...

9. darmstrong

darmstrong TDPRI Member

I experimented a little a while back to try to come close to a JC120 tone. If I recall correctly, I started with the twin, set the sag to minimum, 4x12 cabinet for a little extra bass, set the mid control low and it had a super-clean tone. Might have set the bias to minimum also.

10. ironsausage58

ironsausage58 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Just got a IV

My Mustang IV got delivered about 10 days ago. I'm lovin' it. I sold my old Silverface Twin and got enough to buy the Mustang and a Schecter PT which gets delivered on Tuesday. I set up a 57 Deluxe patch using an old article from Neil Young's tech showing his amp settings that sounds just like Live Rust.

11. ce24

OK... so give us the settings man....gotta have Neil young patches if your going to use the 57 deluxe....what ya got? :cool:

12. jj69

jj69 Tele-Meister

Can anyone help me out with a setting to emulate a Super Reverb (with a strat)? I had a mustang 3 for about 3 days and although i loved some of the features (built in tuner and great trem and 63 reverb), i couldnt nail the base sound i was after (the Super reverb sound) so i ended taking the amp back and exchanging it for a SCXD. Now this amp gets closer to the sweet blackface sound im after (im not interested in channel 2 on this amp or indeed any of the higher gains on the mustang) but its very boxy and although i could put it in a bigger cab maybe, im missing the features from the M3 that i mentioned before so if anyone could come up with a SR setting, i could go back to the store and try the amp with these settings against the SCXD.
    The Mustang is the one that i want to like given its other features, just need to find the one sound that`ll make me ditch the SCXD.

13. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

just picked up my III on fri.Gotta admit,im starting to like it more and more.Ive been an all tube guy for ever,so this is a first for me.57 delux,65 twin and 65 delux are my favs.Still trying to figure out laptop stuff.Is there a way to bypass effects and just use amp it self?Please send me a PM. and explain it to me if poss.Thanks!!

14. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Just ordered a Mustang III.

If it does what it says on the tin I might be selling my Blues Junior.

15. ce24

TG, it does! I have a 5e3 clone and I'm using the MIII in my cover band...it covers a lot of ground with the 4 button footswitch.

cheers ce24

16. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Got it today. Firt impressions were very good, but then I found a bit of digital 'fizz' to the sound.

I then went and figured out how to connect to the 'Fuse' thingy (not too well explained for non-computer nerds, IMO) and got the firmware updates.
    Now it's excellent. Bang on.

From an hour or 2 of noodling through different settings I'm suspecting that I'll be mainly on the 57 Deluxe.

And someone bought my Blues Junior today as well, so there are no longer any tubes in my possession at all...

17. crockes00

crockes00 Tele-Meister

Just got my III today. Few hours in and love it. The FUSE software is just awesome pretty easy to use. Will be gigging this out in a few weeks. Went all over town no had the 4 button footswitch so Ill have to order one. No complaints yet.

18. ce24

the 65 Twin Reverb is great with a little verb for lap steel and just a bit of bite from the stomp or the amp...personal call. sweet with my old Kay lap steel.

19. TimW

TimW TDPRI Member

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and it's great. I've got the digital fizz thing but I'm hoping Fender will get a fix out in an update soon. The 65 deluxe is my most used and I'm tweaking alot both at the amp and in fuse, really easy to use. It takes my LaCabronita with a TV Powertron and my Strat equally great. The dynamics from this amp is a big step up in modelling technology IMO
    Once I get the 4 button footswitch I'll be set!!!!

20. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

OK, I need some help here.

Had it for a couple days and I used it at a band practice last night.
    I can find settings that sound good...but they feel bad. Compared to my ZT Lunchbox and even my Cube 60 it doesn't feel real when I'm playing it. I can't put my finger on what's wrong....but something's wrong.
    My Cube 60 has a gritty fizz to the sound, but it still feels like a real amp. This Mustang III doesn't. Picking dynamics response is wrong, or something.

Can someone share some decent basic clean settings with me, or advise in some way?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.