1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mustang ii dying in Ableton

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by 1960scott, Dec 22, 2015.

1. KenA

KenA TDPRI Member

Interesting, I have this same issue for years and I never could find the cure neither the reason why it happens. I use Ableton with Apogee Jam interface and a Mac laptop.

If I do the Preferences routine it does fix, but eventually the problem repeats. Someone suggested a buffer problem causing this behaviour, but is it a buffer in the laptop, in the DAW, or in the audio interface? and how to fix it?

2. 1960scott

1960scott TDPRI Member

My thinking too - close and relaunch clears the buffer. It always works. I wonder if it's something in my amp itself. I've got the latest Fender driver for it, and I've tried ASIO4ALL, as well as the DirectX driver. Nothing helps.

I've never heard of any Mustang ii users having this problem in Ableton so I'm thinking that seems to rule out the DAW. I've got 2 versions of Ableton (Live 8 Intro, and Live 9 Lite). The problem happens in both.

Hey, orangedrop, if you have a some time on your hands to have a look into the software I'd be totally grateful. Don't put yourself out, but if you find yourself on a rainy day...Thanks bud :lol:

As I said in an earlier post I tried another route, I got a Focusrite 2i2, and it's clicking now. I just plug my Mustang headphone out to it and it's good. I know it's kind a of primitive solution, but it works. No it doesn't seem to get as good a sound as the Mustang straight into the USB, but I can live with it for now.

-Scott

3. 1960scott

1960scott TDPRI Member

Noooo - get an audio interface. No issues at all with my Focusrite 2i2 ($150). It's even got inputs for my Shure 58, so I can record my "beautiful" voice too :D!!

4. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Did you try just using the Mustang's USB aux audio port (has to be enabled in device manager). Heck, you can even use the Mustang in Audacity after that. I'm not currently using Ableton, but in Reaper, the drop down list shows both the ASIO, and USB out options of my Mustang III when selecting an input (again, once the USB Aux audio is enabled in device manager). I figured this out in Win 7, but it's the same with Windows 8.1 and 10.

5. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yea, this is using the usb connection and fender asio driver.

6. -Hawk-

I'll do something eventually. To make matters more difficult, my laptop is still running Vista and some apps won't work with it. Considering a new Mac.

7. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

The Mustangs have a separate audio aux out for windows that is DOES NOT use the ASIO driver, it is a DIFFERENT thing. it works just like plugging a generic USB microphone in. I'll take a screen shot of it when I get home. Since it is NOT ASIO, it allows you to use cheap/free recording options like Audacity (which don't natively support ASIO). It is effectively a USB line out.

8. -Hawk-

That's great to know. I would love to give that a shot. Thanks ux!

9. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

10. -Hawk-

Excellent. Much appreciated!

11. 1960scott

1960scott TDPRI Member

Yeah, ditch Vista.

Jim Dep likes this.
  12. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

Mine's nearly gone through the window many times, and not just with music-related stuff. All software is designed by geeks who assume the rest of us think like them. And, of course, normal humans do not. Why can't they just design stuff that does what you'd expect it to do in a way that you'd expect it to do it. Too Irish? I apologise as I am bit Irish but read through and you'll be with me I'm sure!
    Sorry folks, a bit off topic, but I struggle like mad with recording software. It should be so easy. I mean, the creative bit is hard enough without some idiot making it harder.
    Sorry again. Rant over. I feel better now...
    And why are there no instructions, or if there are they are written by similar geeks? And Mustang amps with no useful guide? Etc... :(

13. 1960scott

1960scott TDPRI Member

Hilarious and I totally agree. It would be great if they could find geeks who were also musicians. I guess it's asking too much to expect a number-head to understand art :lol:!

14. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

I've had problems using the USB for recording with two separate Mustang IIs; both versions. I'm about to give up on the Mustangs in general.

15. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Did either of you guys try it with the Windows Aux out setting I posted yet?

16. -Hawk-

I did, but it wasn't exactly like your post. Was going to reply, but it's been a very busy week!

Instead of internal jack with the mustang label, mine is just listed as a usb microphone. I downloaded audacity and do get some input, but it was unusable. Very distorted. I'm sure I'm missing something that I should have done.

17. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

I was already done with Vista when I got my MIII, so I never tried it in Vista.
    Vista was when M$ started "protecting" audio by preventing recording of streams into MP3's, I know for me it was a boondoggle with some MIDI stuff I was playing with at the time. I've made nice audacity and Reaper recordings using the Aux in setting. I'm starting to think you're cursed hawk.

18. -Hawk-

For now I think I am just going to deal with it and buy a decent interface when I get a reasonable laptop.

19. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Try some contact cleaner on the USB jack, if you haven't already done so. As someone else pointed out, USB jacks can be prone to collecting dust if exposed.

Never had a problem with mine, but I normally keep it plugged in.

If the problem is with the recording software, I'd check around with people who do lots of recording with their Mustangs and see what they're using.

20. samato

samato Tele-Afflicted

A total guess but worth a shot I think...

I suspect it is a USB protocol issue. Compatibility of USB 3.0 and older versions. USB 3.0 is supposed to be completely backwards compatible but I have found that it simply is not in some cases. If I am right those of you experiencing these problems are combining USB 3.0 and an older protocol. (Sorry, I don't own a Mustang and don't know if it's USB 2.0 or what or if your computers have USB 3.0 ports, etc.)

If your computer has USB 3.0 ports and the Mustang is USB 2.0, try connecting a USB 2.0 hub to the computer and plugging the Mustang into the hub. This has been the fix for a different but somewhat similar situation for me.

It's possible every word I've just written is a complete waste of time... Or maybe I'm your new hero! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.