1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mustang GT vs Tone Master

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RevBillyG, Feb 28, 2021.

1. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

Has anyone done a comparison of the Mustang GT & an amp from the Tone Master range?

Mike M likes this.
  2. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

I don't have a GT, but I do have a GTX100 and a Tone Master Deluxe.

While the GTX can do a multitude of sounds and effects, it still sounds like a modeler (although a good one), where TMDR gets really close to the actual thing

Pcs264 and StevesBoogie like this.
  3. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

Is that because of the power section & speaker they spec’d out for the Mustang GTX models, or is it a totally separate model all together?

4. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Not sure why, I think its a much separate model, but I'm sure there is someone who knows better.
    The Tone Master is just on a different level than the GTX.

5. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Let me share my Mustang GTX story.

I traded in a Mustang III, a Mustang I and an old Acoustonic amp for a brand new Mustang GTX 100 at Guitar Center.
    I was surprised as I got over $200 for those old amps and they weren't exactly in "pristine" condition.
    They didn't have the Mustang in stock so I ordered it for home delivery.
    When the Mustang arrived, plugged it in and was amazed at how much better it sounded than my old Mustang III.
    The interface was cleaner and the bluetooth option to manage the amp from my phone was easy.
    I enjoyed the amp for the rest of the day. Next day I plugged in and discovered the LCD panel had died.
    The amp will still function, but it makes a lot of the functions of the amp impossible to get to.
    I took it back to Guitar center that day. As always, Guitar Center is great on returns. They ordered me another one.
    The new one arrived about a week later. Flawless out of the box, but 20 minutes later the LCD panel on this one also died.
    Another trip to Guitar Center, they took the amp back without any fuss. I decided there was no way I was going for strike 3.
    I persuaded them to give me a discount on the next amp for my troubles. They gave me $100 off a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb.
    I have not had a single issue with the TMDR and it is far and away better sounding than the Mustang.
    Other than the defective lcd panels, the Mustang GTX was a great amp.
    Now that I have the Tone Master, I am glad things worked out the way they did.

20201013_184135466_iOS.jpg 20201024_031624855_iOS.jpg 20201024_031615814_iOS.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Digital Larry, Tim S and RevBillyG like this.
  6. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Is there a price difference?:):):)

7. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Yes

8. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

I'd have thought there would be a review or something explaining the difference by now. I've been looking & found nothing.

I've heard all the accolades.

I've seen all the comparisons to their tube counter parts, but I haven't seen a comparison to the GTX & I believe the GTX Fender models are pretty dang good.

I mean how would the GTX sound with that power amp & specially voiced speaker.

It would be nice if someone would take the direct out from each & run them through the same IRs, power stage & speakers.

9. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

The GTX Fender sounds are pretty good, but the Tone Master is head and shoulders above it.

There is a Fender guy on this and other sites (stilwel) and he can tell you more. Something about how the processing power on the GTX is shared among the different effects, but on the Tone Master its used for just the sound of the amp, and the Reverb has its separate processing unit, which needs a lot of processing power.

Please take the above with a grain of sand, I could be misremembering it, he would be the one to ask

StevesBoogie and RevBillyG like this.
  10. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

@stilwel

What can you tell us about the Tone Master model vs the Mustang GTX models?

11. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

@Mike M thanks for telling me about Stilwel. I did a search on his name & found this.

Exactly what I wanted to know.

Jakedog, John O and StevesBoogie like this.
  12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

There have been thousands of GTX amps sold, and this is the first time I've EVER heard of the LCD dying. I've had my GT40 and LT25 since they were released and the LCDs are still going strong.
    I also find it ridiculous to compare a $400 amp to a $900 one.

Jakedog and Digital Larry like this.
  13. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

RevBillyG likes this.
  14. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

For what it's worth I am a very satisfied owner of the GTX100 and have not experienced a single issue.

What I really want to post is that the clean tones (and there are many) on this amp are superb. The rest of the tones are really good but the BASSBREAKER 15 MID tone is absolutely marvelous. Stunning even. Sounds amazing.

15. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

How often do you use the Deluxe Reverb model?

16. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

I love all the Fender models on the GTX, especially the blackface ones (Princeton, Deluxe, Twin, Super, Showman)

But if I want a pure Deluxe, I'll pull out the Tone master. For the GTX I usually stay on the Twin or Princeton, or Champ, and lately have taken a liking to the 57 Twin.

The GTX is great for adding and using effects, or chains, since it has everything you could ever want. So if I want to play around with stuff and experiment, its a great amp to use. I have a limited Pedal Board I use with the Tone Master, so its a great way to add and play with colors and effects I normally wouldn't go near.

Also the GTX has a looper and tuner built into the pedal board (comes with the GTX100) so that's a plus for the GTX.

To be honest, with everything you get for under $500, the GTX100 is a great value.

Plus when using the APP to change around stuff, the user experience is phenomenal, with icons that look like the real amps and effects, and you can play with the dials and settings as you would normally.

You can also divide patches into 24 different "Playlists". I basically group all my favorite amp presets by amp into a single playlist, then list them chronologically, so I can go through the entire history of guitar amplification, which is really fun.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    StevesBoogie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.