Mustang GT-100 best settings for pedals

cibelly007

NEW MEMBER!
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing well! My first time posting here, I was reading some threads about the topic, however some of them seemed outdated and not much relevant to my question. So, I have the Mustang GT-100 (I believe it's the one that came before the GTX-100 that Fender sells now). I have some presets that I downloaded on it, but I also have a pedal board that I wanted to connect.

However, I am having trouble selecting the settings that I should use to make the amp work like a "regular" amp that you connect pedals to. It gives me options to emulate a cabinet and an amp. But the cabinets options are different from the amp and I don't really know which ones I should set up to make it sound nice to my liking. Does anyone that have the amp with pedals can help me out with this?

Thank you a lot!

Vocalion

Tele-Meister
I'd start with the "Basic" presets (e.g. Basic '65 Deluxe) that are the sound of the modeled amp without effects. Find one of those basic presets you generally like and try your pedalboard into that.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
I have the GTX, had the GT. Just in case u r not aware, the GT can be upgraded to the same firmware as the GTX and if yours is not theres a lot of improvement to be gained. Look into it if u r not sure. U can find the firmware version with the menu button and i believe "about this amp". Anyways, IMO the best model in the amp for just pure full balanced quality tone is the blues jr nd you'll wanna dump the default cab sim and use a bigger non boxy sounding speaker. I use the 412GB. The Blues jr can be driven hard enough to get some classic rock gain and the fat swotch will give more if you need. But if you want to run it clean with pedals just crank it's master and volume and use the gain as your volume level. Or of coure anywhere in between. But the Blues Jr uses more processing power so it will not allow as many effects. It is I believe why that model sounds and feels so much like a real amp. Give it a go. I feels it;s better then the twin or other fender models. And i wouldn't bother with the 65 deluxe. It;s a good sounding model but 1-IMO not as good as the BJ for the aforementioned reasons and 2- it doesn't take pedals well. In fact it's the only model that will choke up in somne situations with a pedal hitting the input hard.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
First of all, welcome to the TDPRI!

I see you are an engineer - so maybe you would appreciate my approach. I have a Mustang III.

I went through al 100 presets, and if I liked them, I noted the amp model it used and the effects. Clear patterns emerged - this took an hour or so to do.

From there, I went to the basic amp settings. I liked the 65 Deluxe, Bassman, and the SuperSonic. Basic Fender sounds.

I played with those patches until I really liked the sound. However, when I put a tube screamer clone in front of them, they needed a bit of adjustment. I tend to like a bright shimmer on top, which doesn't work well with pedals. Some EQ adjustments and effect adjustments, and now it works really well.

TL;DR - find an amp sound you like. Adjust it so you like it better. Know you may need to re-adjust it with a pedal. I find the Bassman and 65 Deluxe are good for this.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
For pedals, you want a clean tone without any effects from the amp. I have had a Mustang I, III and the GTX and I always wound up on the ‘65 Deluxe. It is a good base for pedals. Again, do not add any effects in the amp, you want to start with a super clean tone. From there, start trying your pedals. Adjust the sound from the pedal, not the amp. Not every pedal is going to sound great with every amp, just the nature of the beast.

Unfortunately, the only pic I have of the GTX is the dead LCD, which is why I have the Tone Master now :oops:

IMG_3645.JPG IMG_3648.JPG 20201013_184135466_iOS.jpg

These days my pedal platform is a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. Makes a great pedal platform 👍

32D2D1CD-1155-4E08-92CD-9800E37BF85E.jpeg

Last edited:

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I forgot about cab sims. I went through them and found the one I like best - there is no right or wrong. I chose the one with the brightest sound. I think it was the 2x12 M? I would have to fire up my Windows home PC to find out.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
First of all, welcome to the TDPRI!

I see you are an engineer - so maybe you would appreciate my approach. I have a Mustang III.

I went through al 100 presets, and if I liked them, I noted the amp model it used and the effects. Clear patterns emerged - this took an hour or so to do.

From there, I went to the basic amp settings. I liked the 65 Deluxe, Bassman, and the SuperSonic. Basic Fender sounds.

I played with those patches until I really liked the sound. However, when I put a tube screamer clone in front of them, they needed a bit of adjustment. I tend to like a bright shimmer on top, which doesn't work well with pedals. Some EQ adjustments and effect adjustments, and now it works really well.

TL;DR - find an amp sound you like. Adjust it so you like it better. Know you may need to re-adjust it with a pedal. I find the Bassman and 65 Deluxe are good for this.
this is brilliant!

I have a print out of all my patches and even what songs they fit in a set list.