Mustang copy by Thunder

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DDickens, May 14, 2017.

1. DDickens

DDickens TDPRI Member

Hey, folks.

I have recently acquired an almost mint condition Mustang replica by Thunder. I know that Thunder is a Suzuki marque, but I had a couple of questions for anyone who is familiar with these guitars:

1) What is the timeline for them? (It is a Made in Japan guitar according to the neck plate; furthermore my buddy bought it for me in Japan.) It has no serial number (even on the pickups), so I can't find a date (just like in high school). Can I use the pots to date it? (I will say that there is no cloth wiring, and the wires used seem pretty slender.)

And

2) Any idea what might be causing the pickups to crackle when I strum "with vigor"? (No, it's not the amp or the cord; it's definitely the pick ups. They send a loud snapping sound through the amp when I forcefully tap them with my pick.)

It's a really solid-feeling and beautiful guitar, but the pick up issue is driving me nuts. I don't know how to trouble shoot pick up problems. (Again, yes, I'm sure it's the pick ups. It's not the cord. It's not the amp. It's not the jack. It's the pick ups...or maybe...MAYbe the switches.) Are there any experts out there with advice?

I can throw some pictures up if you want.

Ekko likes this.
  2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There were several Japanese Mustang copies, 1980s mostly.

Try lowering the pickups.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

You have single coils and thin wiring? It sounds like a guitar that could be very noisy to begin with. I have a modern Mustang with P90's and it's noisy. I have Melody Makers that are noisy.

An older studio musician that I met (in real life) on this forum taught me a very cheap and helpful trick for curing guitars that have lots of electronic static noises. Get a box of anti static dryer sheets (like for for when you do laundry) and rub the pickgaurd and pickups with a fabric sheet. I do this with noisy Teles and Melody Makers and the crackle when I strum disappears for 4-5 months. I bought one small box of anti static fabric softener sheets at a dollar store 4 years ago and I'm still using that same box.

I know that this sounds too simple to be true but it really truly works.

Give it a try.

xafinity likes this.
  4. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

@DDickens i don't believe you actually have this guitar as you say, if you did you would have surely posted some photos for us to drool over. ;)

Zepfan likes this.
  5. DDickens

DDickens TDPRI Member

Hey, folks. I figured out what it was. I wasn't thorough enough when I went over the pickups and switches. Apparently one of the wires connecting to the switch in the top pick up was hanging by two strands. So I soldered it back and now it plays great.

Again, I have not found any information about how to find the date of manufacture (no serial number anywhere, not even on the pick ups), nor have I found any information about the timeline for Thunder Mustangs. Does anyone have more information?

If I were to guess, I'd guess this was an 80s build (in agreement with radiocaster). I see a lot of people making claims about their Thunders being mid 70s, but the condition of the this guitar and the shape of the tuning keys are pushing me to the 80s. (I worked on a friends Squier MIK that had the same tuning key shape, so there's really only one data point for that idea.) Any thoughts? Corrections? I'm all ears.

Here you go, @hellopike .

IMG_8207.JPG IMG_8210.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

7. WildGuitar

WildGuitar Tele-Meister

Your guitar was made in the 70s "Thunder brand was distributed by Nihon Chikushin. The manufacturer is Kiso Suzuki Violin. They made a replica of Mustang, Stratocaster, Les Paul, JB and PB model"

http://www.music-trade.co.jp/otherhistory2.html

[​IMG]

DDickens and Bluesshoe like this.
  8. DDickens

DDickens TDPRI Member

Definitely could be. This guitar was great. Preferred it to the mij fender mustang I had. Reached out to some awesome Russian dudes on reverb. They were super helpful and happy to talk gear. Settled on late 70s.

9. DDickens

DDickens TDPRI Member

Hey, @WildGuitar . Thanks for the reply. You're right. I talked to a seller in Russia and came to the same conclusion. Thanks for your help. I miss this guitar, and part of me wishes I hadn't sold it. But the buyer is still super happy and still talks about how much he loves it. I had a MIJ Fender mustang that was great but did not play nor sound as good as this one. Of the two, I would have kept the Thunder. It stayed in tune better. That being said, I hate the trapezoid tuners.
    cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.