Mustang build with Jag neck?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by danadig, Jun 18, 2019.

1. danadig

danadig TDPRI Member

Hey everybody,

I'm starting the process of putting together a mustang. I heard that mustang and jaguar necks are interchangeable and I just found a jaguar neck for pretty cheap. Are there any problems with using this MIM Jag neck on an aftermarket mustang body? Any tips?

PS. this is my first build :eek:

Thanks!

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Be careful. Some Mustang or Jag necks are not interchangeable. Make sure they both are the same number of frets. There's a Jag model that has 22 frets without an overhang IIRC that will not work.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You should be ok, but I think there are variations in heel width between MIJ, MIM, and MII necks. I'd double check these measurements.

4. danadig

danadig TDPRI Member

5. BorderRadio

Jags always had 22 frets with no overhang, just like the full-scale Mustang models.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't know that. I had trouble once, but can't remember for sure what the deal was. I think It was trying to interchange necks with a Pawn Shop Special or Vintage Modified type?

7. BorderRadio

With out knowing anything else, you probably had issues with the Pawn Shop Special. Squier VM/CV offsets have standard dimensions, more or less. Speaking of, OP I still have my VM Mustang neck, I'll compare it to my CV Jaguar later on today. It's probably the same.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.