1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mustang 1 amp mods

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Licky, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Licky

Licky TDPRI Member

Hello, I want MORE like everything else from my Mustang 1 so here is what I have started:

Custom cabinet from unknown wood source project. Probably oak. Guessing at about 18" wide, 15" tall and 10" deep. One 12" Celestion G12L-35. Closed back or maybe ported/slotted.

I know this is not cost effective but my amp is not valuable and I like personalizing my stuff in general. I seemed like a fun project to make a neat amp for a home hobby player.

I would like to know if there are opinions related to cab design. I play primarily my Tele Modern Player Plus in a blues and rock manner. I want a punchy amp with a bit more bass and a sound that fills the room with the sought-after buzz you feel when it all works well.

This is used in my home in about a 15x15 room with crappy harmonics and way to much crap in there (next project is to work on the room).

I searched as best I could for a custom cab mod with a 112 format and found nothing related to a Mustang 1.

It is a 20watt RMS 8 ohm modeling amp. The speaker specs as copied are:
    magnet size = 4"
    magnet weight = 20 Oz.
    voice coil size = 1.25"
    coil winding length = .39"
    magnet gap depth = .26"
    overall depth = 5.11"
    weight = 5.5 lbs
    freq range = 76 Hz - 5kHz
    sensitivity = 93dB
    power = 35watts
    nominal impedance = 8 ohms
    resonant freq = 76Hz
    magnet gap flux density = 1.1 T

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Fender Deluxe plan and modify it to fit Mustang. Move control panel cutout to front edge. Room filling open back design, large enough cab to not sound to boxy.

Like this. May have to heighten it a bit or even maybe offset control panel/speakers to opposite sides to clear a 12" but the bigger cab design of this is good starting point I would think.
    http://blog.monkbam.com/2011/01/03/fender-5e3-deluxe-amp-build/
    Pine would be my wood of choice. Tung oil finish.

3. Licky

Licky TDPRI Member

Agreed

I figured on making the chassis sit back from the front edge about 2". The mustang handle screws hold the back of the chassis so I figured that would work best to keep from drilling extra holes.

I have metal corners, nice big rubber feet with metal washer inserts and the speaker ( and the mustang of course ).

Thinking about using the premium pine boards from Home Depot since they are easy access. Was considering something nicer looking but I heard pine is actually quite good since it is flexy and should give a nice bass response.

4. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

You would be surprised how much more sound you could get out of a Mustang I with a fairly efficient 10" or 12".

The I's cabinet is relatively small and unless you install a speaker out jack on the chassis and run it to an extension cabinet with a bigger 8 ohm speaker you will need a bigger cabinet.

I was able to rebaffle a couple of Peavey Vypyr 15s for 10" speakers 3-4 dB more efficient than the stock speaker. One had a Jensen MOD 10-50 and the other had a Celestion Vintage 10. The result was both amps were noticeably louder and "bigger" sounding. I was able to do small gigs with what had been useable only as home practice amps before.

Redoing a Mustang I would have to be a labor of love--the raw materials for the cabinet hardware grill cloth and covering aren't cheap and add in a new or decent used speaker and you could buy a new Champion 600 for that.

Even when I redid the Vypyrs and had wood for the baffle the 10" speakers were $50+

5. Licky

Licky TDPRI Member

It's totally for fun

I know I should just buy another amp for the money this will cost. I don't need louder so much as I want a better sound at the volume I am getting. I couldn't find a db rating on the mustang speaker so that was a little crappy. I guess I just assumed the 93db of the speaker I grabbed would have to be better than the cheap one the amp came with.

I do have a guy that is going to make me a custom grill covering from the same super-duty mesh they are using for large banners now for about $20. I just need to decide what logo I am going to apply :)

So far: speaker $55, corners $10, rubber feet $10

I am trying not to mess too much with my Mustang cab. So... my new cab project sucks when I'm done I can put the Mustang back together and make a new plan.

6. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

There is a thread on here about fitting an external speaker to a mustang I.I did it and it worked very well until I stuck it into a 4 ohm 4 by something speaker cab at a studio .Something disliked something and it went all raspy :(.The aux in runs OK so some thing blew in the tone circuits of certain settings because of the wrong speaker .It was playing flat out at the time .

7. Licky

Licky TDPRI Member

I saw something on YouTube about that. I planned on having an extension jack but didn't plan ahead for an ohm rate match. I think I just need to learn how to wire it I think so that it doesn't drop the ohms. I think I could potentially wire an extension jack in parallel but I don't know for sure it that would work without the extension being plugged in all the time.

8. dngrsdave

dngrsdave Tele-Meister

I Really Enjoy My Mustang 1 amp. That sounds like a Cool project to make a Great amp even better.

I would like to suggest for you to make the amp have the ability to angle back to help project the sound. I also found the amp will sound different when its off the ground up on a milk crate or bench.

Also make a panel so you can have it be open or closed back. There are a bunch of good articles , on-line,about speaker baffles inside of the cabinet enclosure. a simple baffle or angled board or "shelf" inside the speaker cabinet will Greatly effect tones.

Have Fun with the your Amp project. It sounds like you will have a Nice Custom amp once you are finished.

9. Licky

Licky TDPRI Member

bought some wood

Well a local cabinet maker sold me some Poplar. I got enough to have some extra and a buddy is helping me with the build. We started goofing with it today.

I made a few ideas on paper that would be fun for aesthetics but abandoned most of it in favor of simplicity and wanting to get it done without issues.

So far I am on par with 18x15x10. I took the amp head out of my Mustang today as well. Looking for a different type of power receptacle for the cab but should have everything else otherwise.

10. songsmith1950

songsmith1950 TDPRI Member

Please, before you buy a speaker and cabinet and all do one thing.
    Please tell us what model or models you like and use most on your Mustang 1, which by the way is a very nice modelling amp.
    By knowing what amp you model most you will know more about whether you would be better off with a 10 or a 12 and what characteristics you want in a new speaker.
    By the way the Modern Tele Player Plus is a fine guitar for most anything, and when used with the right model and effects can be great!

Tom
    Songsmith1950

11. Licky

Licky TDPRI Member

I use the 57 Deluxe and the 65 Twin reverb the most. I like a lot of the effects available but I tend to turn them off, except mild reverb, and use my Hardwire Cm-2 Overdrive pedal mostly. Give a real nice tone.

12. songsmith1950

Wow, 57 Deluxe and 65 Twin about as far apart as you can get, but the Mustang does both of them really well. So much for speaker ideas, as for the Twin I would use a high power ceramic (clean) speaker, while for a 57 Champ I would go with a low power alnico 12.
    After reading again, you want more bass with more of everything. Go with a ceramic speaker of about the rating you have. Do NOT parallel it with the built in. That will decrease your impedance to 4 ohms or so and you might not like the result.
    The 12 in Celestion you spoke of might be nice except for one thing. With 93 db sensitivity you will probably encounter a pretty big volume drop, along with insufficient power to really drive that particular speaker.
    I believe that was a "made for Crate by Celestion" speaker, but could be wrong.
    The 93 db sensitivity is going to be somewhat of a factor. Not knowing what your stock speaker was I can't really guess too much but 93 is low.
    Keep in mind that each 4db of loss from say, 99 db @[email protected] your speaker level would be cut in half and then another 2 db loss with that.
    Also this particular Celestion is voiced dark. Very good in some cases but for your modeler I think it will offset the tones of your favorite amps a lot.
    Sorry to be the bearer and all. Use what you have, my friend. If that is it use it.
    I have several of the old speakers out of some old Hammond organs. They are 12 inch and are alnico. They are copies of Celestions and Jensens for the most part. I have put one in my old Gretsch 1967 Compact Tremverb and it works very nicely.
    If you want to pay shipping I will gladly send you one, but shipping might be more than you can find one for on Craigslist or something. Oh, I also have a 12 from an Ampeg 12R I would send, again, if it is worth shipping.

Wishing I could be more positive but only telling you the truth, my friend. Sounds like a great project you have going. And to be honest I have enjoyed many hours on amp sims, but now mostly when simming I use Guitar Rig or TH3. Same thing, just running through an i7 instead of the dedicated music puter in your Mustang.
    Will quit before I write a book.

Tom

13. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

FWIW:

A 10 inch speaker easily fits in the Mustang 1 ..

14. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

Interesting Idea. I'm guessing you're just more interested in cab building! I've thought about doing something similar with other amps, but the cost kept me away.

Have fun with it!

15. Licky

Licky TDPRI Member

Yup

Mostly for fun and to get a bit more from the amp. Want a cool wood tone cab. I the speaker is disappointing I could swap it out later.

16. songsmith1950

The speaker offer is open if you want it. I usually buy the speakers for the amps I am building or refurbishing or modding. So these speakers have no real homes set up for them.

17. Licky

Licky TDPRI Member

duly noted

I will se how this pans out since I already have it in hand. I bought a Line 6 12" since it seemed logical it would be a versatile speaker from a modeling amp. However, it turned out to be from a 4x12 cab and the ohm rating didn't work out. If this is disappointing in any way you'll be hearing from me. My ear training is in process and I may not really notice an issue.

18. Licky

Licky TDPRI Member

I called a local wood crafting guy and bought more Poplar than I needed for $33 out the door.

19. Licky

Licky TDPRI Member

almost done

I got the box built and sanded, two coats of stain and the first two coats of tru-oil. I am very happy with how it looks so far. I will have a few days of adding the oil layers to get the protective finish. I don't know if I will add metal corners or not. I found some metal mesh at a local car audio place since I couldn't find a cover that looked good. I got some cloth too but I don't think I will use it. I hope my local awards place will make me a metal plate for the name tape I want. I will see about adding some photos.

Attached Files:

20. vrdyer

vrdyer TDPRI Member

Nice job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.