1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Muslady Strat kit near complete

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Thoughtfree, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Finished with several coats of Tru-Oil - easy to use, but not a very hard finish it appears. The body is 1.5 inches thick - not as thick as a Fender, I believe.

I left off the electronics to see if the guitar would play OK before I spent more effort on it. One or two HB pickups may go in rather than the included loaded pickguard.

I set the whammy up to float with (included) 9's strings. Too light for me. Standard 10s will be better. Stays in tune remarkably well, even with (included) precut plastic nut.

Fun to re-learn the ins and outs of claw adjustment, 6-screw bridge adjustment, spring tension, etc. Many years since my last Strat. Whammy screws in correctly, but feels loose. Plumber's tape?

This is a good enough kit for 78 bucks. The neck fit very well. I used a "Drillblock" drilling guide and an electric screwdriver with a drill chuck to drill all neck holes, bridge mounting holes, etc. Frets did not need leveling, but I filed down the slightly sharp edges along the neck. Would I do it again? Maybe. I'll post again when the electronics are in.
    IMG-1897.JPG

KS6V, Peegoo, WalthamMoosical and 4 others like this.
  2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

You got a nice rub to that finish. Did a Tele with True oil with similar results. My Strat measures 1.7955" thick. If you get all the hardware working well with yours, you may have a modest weight reduction. Hoping the final stages go well.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

Nice, clear pieces of wood used for that body and no "butcher block" mismatched pieces. I think you did great. What pickguard you putting with it?

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Steveinthesticks

Steveinthesticks Tele-Meister

Looks great for a $78 kit, the kit I threw together was paint grade

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Very nice body for the money :)

6. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Looks like you're off to a good start.

I built their headless kit last year and it was quite a challenge to build due to body routing issues and the cheap headless bridge.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.