Musing on a Thanksgiving morning.

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Happy Eat Yourself Into A Coma Day, for those who are participating.

I got up early, cooked, ate, put it all away, cleaned up the kitchen, watched Fellowship of the Ring and am about to start The Two Towers.

Traditionally on X-giving I would watch The Yellow Submarine, The Holy Grail, Help! and then The Meaning of Life.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
3F4801B1-3775-4C00-B6B0-F385790E0B2D.jpeg

boredguy6060

Poster Extraordinaire
TD, I think often about what you have endured, you have lived my greatest fear.
Happy thanksgiving to you and your family.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
This is my second Thanksgiving alone. I was invited by my wife's family to join them. I like them and especially my niece and nephews. My son and stepson always invited us and now me. I am tied of traveling so I opt out of the long trips.

Nice walk this morning before the stormy weather.

Last year was bad, but this year I made a Big ole meal and the dog and I had turkey and all the stuff except pie my wife would do. Am watching football, close to a good food induced nap and enjoying the thunder and rain.

Had nice phone conversations with kids and relatives and lots of texts from friends. All in all not too bad.

Hope your visit is super enjoyable @Toto'sDad . Happy Thanksgiving.
I'm glad you were able to do better this year than last. I don't know about it getting easier, but the pain seems to subside with the passing of time. We had a great day! My daughter is a glorious cook! She made huge stuffe porkchops, the likes of which I've never seen, she put T-bones on the outdoor broiler and had everything come off at the same time.

We had the aforementioned meat, a delicious concoction of Brussel sprouts, bacon, onion, and something else I couldn't identify, but they were perfect. Baked potato loaded with all the trimmings, roasted asparagus, and wonderful rich dinner rolls. The steaks were loaded with mushrooms cooked in a WOK. I fell off my dieting today for sure, but I had recovered from my excess over momma's birthday, I'll just have to do it again.

I'm usually not a vegetable man, but her cooking had me liking everything! Finally, my wife had made a cherry cheesecake pie for desert, mmmmm. My wife not only makes good pie, but she also knows when to make an exit. As soon as she finished helping my daughter with the dishes and utensils, she said it's time to go home and walk the dogs, and that's what we did!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
TD, I think often about what you have endured, you have lived my greatest fear.
Happy thanksgiving to you and your family.
Thank you for the kind words. Life for some is shorter than for others. Why? I have no idea. The wisdom I was supposed to acquire through living has yet to arrive. I hope the rest of the holiday, and holidays are good for you and yours. Our hope is for a better tomorrow, and it usually is.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My Son was coming but I came down with Influenza Type A Monday and we all deemed it best they stay home and I not share that with them. My wife and I had a nice meal and I am watching football. Not quite sure who is playing. Y’all have a great day.
I hope your bought with the flu is a mild one, and that you recover quickly.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Best wishes to everyone at Thanksgiving. Our house was always the holiday destination. My wife and I hosted countless Thanksgivings, Christmas’, 4th of Julys, Easter’s, etc. My wife passed away almost 2 years ago and I have resumed hosting these holidays and have enjoyed bringing family together. The holidays are a wonderful family time and I hope that everyone is able to
I wish you well and hope for your continued well being and happiness.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That seems like a nice surprise. I am glad you got the call. It should be great!

Our kids are in their teens and we are making them cook with us. Been in the kitchen all day, with tons of fighting and yelling. I would love it if they were cooking for us, somewhere else, and we could just show up, ask where the drinks are, and then eat. :)
It still seems odd at times for us to be "somewhere else" during the holidays. Especially those years where I was driving truck out on the super slab, every minute at home was one to be treasured.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I hope your bought with the flu is a mild one, and that you recover quickly.
Thank you. Sunday and Monday I ran a fever up-to 102 and I took Advil and aspirin to make sure it didn’t go higher. Went to an urgent care clinic Monday night and they gave me Tamiflu which has brought it under control. Doing much better now. I don’t wish this on anybody probably as sick as I have been in ten years.

Last edited:

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
The house has been a madhouse since my grand kids got here yesterday. Everyone is sleeping off all the good food now. Tomorrow will be another day of good chaos. I'm a lucky man. I was just reminded how much too. Earlier today a friend of mine sent out a group text to a bunch of us guys saying Happy Thanksgiving. We all just got a long text back from one friend who lost his 53 year old wife to cancer just a few months ago. He is really hurting today. I tried calling him, but got voicemail. Another friend texted me and said he talked to him. He is at his in laws with his daughter and he is okay. My friend said one of the things my friend said was that it was just last Thanksgiving he was sitting with her and their daughter enjoying Thanksgiving and everything was just fine. Made me think how fragile it all really is. Enjoy every minute you are afforded. They are more important than you can imagine.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Thank you. Sunday and Monday I ran a fever up-to 102 and I took Advil and aspirin to make sure it didn’t go higher. Went to an urgent care clinic Monday night and they gave me Tamiflu which has brought it under control. Doing much better now. I don’t wish this on anybody probably as sick as I have been in ten years.
Man, that sounds like bad stuff. Take it easy and give your body a chance to heal.

RoscoeElegante

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Everything changed when we lost my oldest son. The holidays while enjoyable take on a different meaning now. I have to be careful, or I slip into dwelling on him. His last words to my daughter in law were don't grieve, find someone to live out your life with, and be happy, there is nothing we can do about what has happened. My son was a man among many, and my hero.
I "Liked" this post, T'sD. But not because an iota of this pain is likable, or okay, etc. Just out of understanding, support, and respect. And all best wishes to you and your loved ones, this day and all days.

RhythmFender

Tele-Holic
Thank you for the kind words. Life for some is shorter than for others. Why? I have no idea. The wisdom I was supposed to acquire through living has yet to arrive. I hope the rest of the holiday, and holidays are good for you and yours. Our hope is for a better tomorrow, and it usually is.
I don’t know how your son passed, but I’ve seen you mention him a couple of times here. I’m sorry for your loss. I have one child and it is my greatest fear.

I myself am only 44 ( I feel young) but have been battling a stage 4 cancer diagnosis for about 3 1/2 years now, and am about to start another, new to me Type of chemo in the next couple of weeks and not looking forward to it, sometimes struggle with when to give up and stop fighting. I am in a lot of pain much of the time, but you know what? Life is sweet, even a life full of pain. and I want my kid to have me in their life for as long as possible, so I’m I’m going to fight as hard as I can for as long as I can.

I don’t know why life is so much shorter for some. I wish I had more of it. But I’ll take what I can. Those that remain feel the loss and the pain. What seems to connect the most as humans is love, pain, and loss. To price to love is high. Sorry to highjack your post, but just wanted to say happy holidays, and your son sounds like a great man.

Peace.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
It's Thanksgiving, we are at a time in life when we thought we'd be spending Thanksgiving alone. We had bought some food to prepare, and we were completely okay with that. A few days ago, our daughter called, and invited us to dinner, so we'll be going over there. I'm okay with the kids doing other things on holidays, because I was the cause of us breaking away from my wife's large family on holidays, I told her that we should be building memories of our own, and we did.

Young son is over at the coast. Usually, my daughter is with her husband's family, but this year, she decided to have us over. We had many, many extravagant celebrations of both Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I'm thankful for all the memories. Momma is still going strong, but those kinds of deals are just too much for her put on, and to tell you the truth me too.

I was thinking back this morning to a time when my wife and I hadn't been married very long, and she said, you know you've never built me anything, build me something. So, I made her some sort of wooden doodad for the kitchen. She looked at it, and said, you're not very good at this are you? She continued with, maybe you could just toss that thing, and we just won't talk about this anymore, and we haven't.

Happy Thanksgiving oh mighty warriors of the Bad Dog Cafe!
Hope you guys had a good time of it today.
We had a blast.
~ST