Musikraft Profiles

RifleSlinger

Tele-Meister
Howdy.

I'm hankering for a strat to join my tele, since it's been 20 years since Ive had a strat and that's what I started on.

I built my tele with a Musikraft 52 U (.98-.98). No complaints. It's home.

I don't want to just do a repeat, and would like the strat to be rooted in the mid 50's era, say 1955. I'm going to do a black body.

I don't really want to go smaller than .90, and while I'm intrigued by the idea of a V profile, deviating too sharply from the known seems risky. I keep thinking I should have a flat back in case I want to revert to classical style with my thumb back there, but I think I'm almost always over the top, and the lowest my thumb goes is in the top 3rd of the back or so.

Here's what I've been considering:
-.90-.99 C. My most conservative choice.
-.86-.96 57 V, classic strat choice
-something like a blackguard soft V

Any comments on those or other suggestions would be appreciated.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If it were me, it would be an easy choice. I would go for that Fat C. I find V necks fatiguing if I have to do any significant amount of chording (jazz or barre). If all I did was play leads, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but I find a Fat C quite comfy even for lead work.

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted
I play a big V neck and those feel (obviously) totally different from a U or D, so I am not sure that if you are used to the latter, you will like a V profile. I find that when I am playing in the classical position, I rest my thumb against the V neck ramp instead of in the middle, so no problems there.

FuncleManson

Tele-Meister
Warmoth's "boatneck" might be a consideration. 1" thick all the way, but with a soft "V" at the nut end, transitioning to a "C" higher up.

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
+1.
My '99 Warmoth boatneck is .92 to .98. V is very soft, and sort of disappears up the neck.

Hodgo88

Tele-Meister
My Musikraft Blackguard neck is purportedly based off of serial 0039. It's .91" at the nut down to a full inch at the 12th fret, with a soft V and heavy rolled edges. Ridiculously comfortable. Don't fear the V!

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Not many original L series or Pre-L Strats have huge necks. I played a real 1964 the other days that felt like a Fullerton 62 reissue with a small soft V and hard edges..... Nothing like the current unplayable baseball bat custom shops.
If you are doing a Black Body the Clapton profile would be cool. But it's smaller than you think.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
While you're at it, get stainless steel frets. My Musikraft neck with SS is really great, fun to play.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I've had the Musikraft and Warmoth soft V. They are OK ish, but not as good as the Fender EC soft V. I dislike hard V's a lot, (no shoulder) makes for an achy hand for me.
I discovered the Warmoth '59 Roundback.... and man, it's a great neck shape. It's somewhat thick but not huge like the one on your Tele.

gonzo

Tele-Meister
i just ordered a Musikraft neck for my new tele project (which i'll document when i get far enough down the road with it)

the neck i got (i have small hands) is a 1-piece flame maple neck with a C79 89 profile.

should be close to previous necks i've had made from USACG

i also went with a 14" radius (yep, this is not a purist tele build!)

gonzo

Tele-Meister
neck-profile-comparison.jpg

this was a side by side comparison i did of the profiles off the musikraft site, when i was considering a soft V (ON the left, the one i got is on the right)

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
+1.
My '99 Warmoth boatneck is .92 to .98. V is very soft, and sort of disappears up the neck.
I have a few of the Warmoth boatnecks and for the most part, I really like them. However, I don't care for the modern build versions (with the double truss rods) as much as they feel stiffer than the vintage build boatnecks. I have a few Musikraft necks as well. Both companies have their plus and minuses, but both are good in my opinion.

telestrangler

TDPRI Member
I've had the Musikraft and Warmoth soft V. They are OK ish, but not as good as the Fender EC soft V. I dislike hard V's a lot, (no shoulder) makes for an achy hand for me.
I discovered the Warmoth '59 Roundback.... and man, it's a great neck shape. It's somewhat thick but not huge like the one on your Tele.

I agree with this exactly. I like old style soft Vs a lot but the Musikraft soft V doesn't have enough shoulder especially low down on the neck. Fender and Martin got this just right. And with Vs the fretboard edge roll becomes more important too. So I have to end up taking material off. Warmoth boatnecks are mixed, I have one that's pretty nice and another where it's really harsh. When it's done right it's the best. I might try the EC soft V and the Warmoth 59 roundback based on this.

Singin' Dave

Friend of Leo's
When I was building my now #1, I opted for the Musikraft C 90-99 myself, but with a 1 11/16 nut width and its is the PERFECT neck for me. Full but not a baseball bat and just that little extra spacing due to nut width. Highly recommend!