Musikraft or Warmouth

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by golfnut, Sep 28, 2019.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm getting ready to order a replacement neck for my American Original 50's Tele. I've given this a lot of thought and have owned this guitar for a few months. I love everything about this guitar but not totally in love with the neck. I don't hate it. I could probably easily live with it. But I'd rather put exactly the neck on it I want.
    I've searched the net for reviews on Musikraft and Warmouth and they seem to be all over the place. But more importantly the reviews are out dated.
    Just looking for opinions on these 2 neck makers from recent experience.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

Warmoth but only because they have more options like Truss Rods, Fretboard Radii, 24 frets,
    things like that. Both places are going to make a really high quality Neck.

So what exactly do you want?

Edit DID NOT SEE "Build your OEM 2 PC Guitar Neck".

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  3. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have only had experience with Musikraft but I can say that I am extremely pleased with the standard C shape Strat neck that I bought last year. The C shape feels perfect to me and the fretwork was very well done.

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Certainly Warmoth for me. I've seen some nice Musikraft stuff but I started buying Warmoth stuff in the 80's and have no reason to change.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I’m currently waiting on third neck from Warmoth. Love their necks. Very high level of craftsmanship including the fret work. I went with stainless steel frets for this third neck (for a Warmoth Jazzmaster).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Standard specs I want are:

Profile: U shape like a nocaster .950 at the first - 1" at the 12th
    Radius: 10-12 compound
    Nut width: 1.650 Was thinking 1 11/16 like my martin but since I have rutters saddles I cant change the spacing up the neck. Not sure how that would work out. Probably stay with 1.650
    Fretboard edges: Very lightly rolled. Don't want to lose any real estate. Want lots of space for the 2 E strings
    Frets: Stainless steel 6105
    Finish: sealer, Lightly oiled
    Trussrod: Vintage
    Tuner holes: vintage 11/32
    Mounting holes: Not sure if I should get them to do it or take it to my guitar tech to have done.

Other Specs I'm looking at:

Birdseye\flame maple\quartersawn
    Some type of tinting. I don't want it white like the stock neck.
    Mother of pearl fretboard dots.

Whatever I decided I would like it to be a standout pretty neck. I figure if I'm going to do it I may as well have a nice looking neck

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Musikraft or Guitar Mill.

Warmoth has very little in terms of options. MK has a zillion options, especially for Teles.

Guitar Mill doesn't have a whole ton of options, but what they do have is excellent, and their fret work and neck edges are hands down the best.

However, MK is licensed, and GM is not. So GM can't give you the "real" headstock. You need to get a paddle headstock and cut it down yourself.

For a Tele neck, I'd probably go MK...unless I wanted an ebony board, which they no longer offer.

I really dislike Warmoth, personally. They are extremely cookie cutter, in that you are locked out of so many options when you choose a certain construction of neck. You can't even pick your fretboard radius on most of their necks. It's "super lame," as the kids say. And any time I have asked for something "custom," they have been unwilling to do it, or want an exorbitant amount of money (like an extra $100 for providing a body blank 1/4" thinner than normal – cheaper or no/little uncharge at most body makers). Their strength is in providing gaudy woods and appointments, not in really providing the ability to finely specify what you want.

Tommyd55 likes this.
  8. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I've ordered more Warmoth necks than I can renember. All sorts of woods. Standard and stainless frets. All sorts of profiles and radii. Only one issue _ever_. A high fret on an over hanging fretboard. Easy tap down... In minutes, fixed. Never had to dress frets other than remove finish on maple boards - also easy.

9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

I ordered two necks and two bodies from warmoth, the last one was in 2018. They are perfect.

With warmoth I search only in the « in stock » guitar bodies and necks. I like to see the piece of wood I am buying, wood grain/figure, color, and knowing the weight of the body too. Fretwork is very clean.

The first neck I bought was the « boatneck » , wich is really quite thick. At the second try I got the perfect neck shape for me: 59 round back with the sligly narrow 1 5/8 » nut width.

Compound radius and stainless frets are nice options too if you want a subtle improvement over the standard Fender quality.

Wildcard_35 and larsjen like this.
  10. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

I have seen a slight decline in quality in Warmoth. That being said, they are still good. i am a little peeved that they will not divert from their online offerings, even if it something simple like inlay they carry in one shape and not another. Also, they charge $10 to not drill the heel even on unfinished necks - beats me.

Musikraft is pretty good overall, and competitively priced.

On a side note: I make my own necks now by hand, so I don't have to worry about the pesky options. Also, I have recently acquired a lot of rough cut Boogie Body Strat necks from the 70s, where Charvel guys and Ken Warmoth got their start. The necks are cut rough enough that I can make Tele-shaped ones as well. The wood must be around 50 years old.

11. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

12. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

B96707D0-7650-4B55-964C-E09944EE7C3D.jpeg
    I would go Musikraft if you want something based off of actual Blackguard necks. https://musikraft.com/product-info.php?pid182.html

I LOVE my serial #3912 1953 baseball bat neck. I wanted the 1953 vibe and I certainly have it!

straightface, lewis, jackal and 5 others like this.
  13. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Here is the config I'm choosing on the Musikraft site. I have a few questions if anyone can answer.

1. I chose Quartersawn Flame Maple light figuring 2A. What is the difference between 2A and 3\4A? If there is some better quality in the 3\4A I'd be tempted to the extra $50. Then there is superior. If its just the figuring then I'd be fine with light 2A.

2. FB edges, I chose semi rolled standard. Would this be the same as the custom shop fenders? I have never had a problem with custom shops having the high e or low e too close to the fretboard like the 50's reissues.

3. I chose amber tint oil for the finish but I'm not exactly sure what that is. I know the amber tint should darken the neck, which is what I want. But the oil finish, would that be sort of like an almost natural wood feel? If so that would probably be what I want. Does anyone know what the difference is between amber tint oil and aged oil?

4. I chose FAT U .97 - .99 for back profile. What is the difference between that and 52 U .98 - .98? What I am looking for is more of a Nocaster U with the bigger shoulders. Right now I have a an American original 50's tele neck measuring .930 - .1.01 thats supposed to be a U but it feels smaller than a Nocaster as it doesn't seem to have the bigger shoulders. I like a fuller feel in the hand. I

5. I chose the radius to be 10-12 compound. Will this contribute in making the neck more of a handful. Don't want to get too carried away with the neck feeling too big.

I'll send these questions to Musikraft as well but I figured if someone here could answer them quicker.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  14. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Musikraft

15. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

So many choices, so many questions... ;)

I’m know nothing about Musikraft, but:

Quartersawn is premium wood. The grade must be for the « flame » figuring.

Compound radius is nice, it is a no-brainer if you like a moderately flat radius. Can’t feel any difference with a 9.5 » , or only in a good way.

16. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

I have one Warmoth neck. It's good....it's a nothing fancy standard wood maple Strat neck. It's as good as any MIM Fender neck I've played, not quite MIA level but it's a low end neck price wise. I think I paid around $175 for it, maybe more maybe less. Frets are good, fit is perfect.

I have 2 Musikraft necks. IMO, they're the best. Granted I am comparing a higher end pair of necks against one neck with basic features, so take that into account.
    The Strat neck was a high dollar neck, around $650. Birdseye maple, dark roasted, had them do nut, compound neck profile, clay dots, etc. It's Custom Shop level without being CS priced.
    I recent had them make a Tele 2pc neck. Flame Maple Premium 4A, 4A-5A maple slab board, larger 3/32" side dots (this is a great little option), 1.650" width, 57 V 86 96 profile....the best V profile I've ever played. Total $390 unfinished. The nitro finish I did myself, $14. I did my own bone nut for $20. This is the nicest and best feeling neck I've ever owned or played. Frets are perfect, seem level I have it set up pretty straight and level, little relief with low string level and have no buzz.
    IMO, it's Musikraft first and foremost when I have a neck made. It's a super tight fit in the pocket. The bushings for the Kluson tuners have to be pressed in, they're in there really tight.
    The number of different neck profiles they offer ought to make anyone happy.
    https://79dbae061dacae723a04-5800ec8c9498effcf7ed5850bbb92c96.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/mk.pdf

F362E3AD-B2BF-40DB-90BD-DD3DDAB6B91E.jpeg 1EFF5E08-7D0C-40A0-BA73-E55CAC951937.jpeg
    Not the best pics, but it's what I have on my phone. The fret marker pic is too fuzzy, but it'll give you an idea about how the slightly larger side markers look. I wish I had these larger dots on my rosewood boards....mid-aged eyes.

P Thought likes this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've had the Warmoth neck on my #1 Telecaster for a little less than three years. I'm VERY pleased. My specs......unfinished mahogany (which I Tru Oiled), "fatback" profile, 1 11/16" at nut, rosewood board, 6150 frets, and most significant, 24 3/4" (Gibson) scale length. I just got an e-mail two days ago that my new Warmoth neck should arrive this Thursday. It will be similar but different......unfinished maple with rosewood board, 1 11/16" at nut, fatback profile, 6105 frets (that's what I MEANT to get on the first one) and, again, 24 3/4" conversion scale. I'm anxious to get it and put it on my 2lb. 9.5oz Paulownia body, which will then get the Bootstrap Pickups' Pretzel Pup set, and a left handed Wilkinson bridge with three compensated saddles. The left handed bridge simply puts the bridge pickup slant opposite the conventional slant.....may not make a bit of difference, but I can say I tried it. I'm sure other makers do GREAT necks, but not sure if they do the conversion neck, and that's become "my thing". :)
    Good luck with your search......;)

18. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

1- it's just more "flamey".
    2- I also went with semi-rolled. I'm heavy handed and sloppy, never had a problem slipping off the edge with the semi-rolled.
    3- Without the tint it's going to look a lot like the AO neck. My Tele neck tint wise looked like my 60's AO neck...uncolored maple. With the tint it will look like the AVRI necks Fender was producing until recently. I forgot to add I did tint mine with some Stew-Mac tint I already had. If you're going to tint, have them do it.
    4-Can't answer about the "U" profile feel, I'm a "V" fan, but that will be a beefy neck.
    5- The radius wont', but the profile will. The flatter radius generally just makes bends easier, for some. I prefer the vintage 7.25" and that's what's on my Tele. The Strat neck I went 7.25-9.5 radius...honestly to me i can't really feel the difference. Some players will, some won't...but it's not a bad feature to have.

golfnut likes this.
  19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

You should read MK's F.A.Q., or tech specs page – whatever they call it. Many of their neck profiles are illustrated there in cutaway.

Yes, a flatter board makes a neck feel thicker.

Standard semi rolled is a moderate amount. Doesn't feel too different from a high end Fender reissue (CS or AV). Heavy roll ($40) is if you REALLY want it to feel rolled.

The only difference between the flame numbers is the flaminess. Not "better quality wood." Just more fancy looking wood.

Not sure what oil they use there.

golfnut likes this.
  20. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the responses. I incorporate a lot of bends. I have a country style that incorporates a lot of Jerry Donahue, Jimmy Olander bends as well as my own concoctions similar to their style.

One last question. The oil finish. Is that suitable for a finish going forward?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.