Musikraft neck delivery tomorrow

RnB

Tele-Meister
Not that you wanna go messing w/ your new neck, but I’ve taken a round stainless screwdriver & burnished the edges of the board to roll the fretbioard edges. It takes some know-how & you have to be careful not to hit the fret ends too hard. Applying good pressure, rub the edges w/ the driver going back & forth tween the frets..
A round rat-tail file would speed it the process up. Seal the edges it back up with Tru-Oil. Done it with a few Warmoth necks as they don’t roll their fretboard edges at all.
Musikraft makes a great neck. Been dealing with them close to 25 years now…

Last edited:

jimking

TDPRI Member
After a four month wait, pretty much to the day, my neck is supposed to be delivered tommorow. I can't wait! I'm going to put it on my 1993 MIM Tele. I bought it new in '93 and have played this neck a lot. I modeled my new neck off of my EBMM Axis necks, so it will be all-around smaller than the original neck. I'm super excited. Here's what I went with;
Tele® Neck Custom Build
  • Guitar Neck Build:
    Qty: 1, Price: $195.00
  • Construction Type:
    1 Piece Constructed
  • Orientation:
    Right for Right Handed Players
  • Scale Length:
    25.5" Standard Fender
  • Number of Frets:
  • Nut Width:
    1-5/8" (41.3mm)
  • Nut Slot Style:
    1/8" Nut Slot (Standard Fender)
  • Heel Width and Type:
    2-3/16" (55.55mm) Squared Tele
  • Truss Rod Type:
    Dual Acting w/4mm Hex Adjust @ Heel
  • Shaft Wood:
    Roasted Light Figured Maple ($40.00)
  • Fingerboard Radius:
    10"
  • Fingerboard Edge Style:
    Semi Rolled Fingerboard Edges
  • Tuner Hole Size:
    11/32" (Standard Kluson)
  • Top Inlay Type:
    1/4" Dots (Black)
  • Side Markers:
    Black 2mm
  • Side Dot Location:
    Center of Fingerboard Wood
  • 12th Dot Spacing:
    Wide (Vintage Style Pre 1964)
  • Fret Size and Type:
    6150 Nickel Silver (Medium Jumbo)
  • Skunk Stripe Option 1pc:
    Standard Walnut
  • Back Profile Shape and Size:
    AYS 81 91 (EVH)
  • Binding:
    NONE
  • Tuner Install:
    NONE
  • Nut Installation:
    Install Slotted TUSQ Nut ($35.00)
  • Finish:
    Oil (Same Oil Fender Uses) ($60.00)
  • Neck Mounting Holes:
    Drill Neck Mounting Holes Standard Fender Pattern
  • Total:
    $330.00
Sounds like a real beauty! I'm hoping to order a similar neck but, still agonizing over tall vintage or medium jumbo frets. Oh, and I want a Richlite fingerboard. So far, all I get when I ask for that is funny looks.

jim_pridx

Tele-Afflicted
Sounds like a real beauty! I'm hoping to order a similar neck but, still agonizing over tall vintage or medium jumbo frets. Oh, and I want a Richlite fingerboard. So far, all I get when I ask for that is funny looks.

Hey Jim! You don't have to go very far to get some funny looks from me.......:cool:

Dan Estock

Tele-Meister
I’ve never held an assymetrical neck, is the fatter side towards the high E or the low E?

Looks nice, things feel way different once they’re bolted on, right.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
I've done small edge rolls with a screwdriver shaft or a small file, as well, on rosewood finger boards, which get re-oiled anyway. A bit different story with a maple neck. Also Musikraft leaves the fret ends pretty darn close to the edge and feeling a little sharp, but I prefer to roll off my own anyway (rather than them possibly taking off too much). A small fret file from Stew-Mac with the machined flat edge is good for that.

Arfage

Tele-Meister
After a four month wait, pretty much to the day, my neck is supposed to be delivered tommorow. I can't wait! I'm going to put it on my 1993 MIM Tele. I bought it new in '93 and have played this neck a lot. I modeled my new neck off of my EBMM Axis necks, so it will be all-around smaller than the original neck. I'm super excited. Here's what I went with;
Tele® Neck Custom Build
  • Guitar Neck Build:
  • Construction Type:
    1 Piece Constructed
  • Orientation:
  • Scale Length:
    25.5" Standard Fender
  • Number of Frets:
  • Nut Width:
    1-5/8" (41.3mm)
  • Nut Slot Style:
  • Heel Width and Type:
  • Truss Rod Type:
  • Shaft Wood:
  • Fingerboard Radius:
    10"
  • Tuner Hole Size:
    11/32" (Standard Kluson)
  • Top Inlay Type:
    1/4" Dots (Black)
  • Side Markers:
    Black 2mm
  • Side Dot Location:
  • 12th Dot Spacing:
  • Fret Size and Type:
    Standard Walnut
    AYS 81 91 (EVH)
  • Binding:
    NONE
  • Tuner Install:
    NONE
  • Nut Installation:
  • Finish:
  • Neck Mounting Holes:
  • Total:
    $330.00
I love Musikraft necks, I have four. Tried going back to Warmoth last year but returned two necks and sold a third - all junk. Don't know what happened to those guys. I still buy their bodies though. I have one Warmoth body Strat with a Musikraft neck and am building a second.

cpk313

TDPRI Member
I have a Musikraft on one of my Strats and it took about 4 months too but it is very well made and they have by far the most options as far as making the neck exactly how you want it. Mine is also semi-rolled and after I redid the Allparts neck on my T-type I really rolled the edges and love it but it made me look at all my other guitars. I took a file to the neck to roll the edge and it worked great but maybe I'll try the screwdriver burnish method on the Musikraft neck and see how it goes, but yeah they could use more roll.

Boxla

Tele-Holic
What a rollercoaster 🤣
exactly lol! I feel bad at this point for saying any negative stuff toward Musikraft and would love to edit my posts but at the same time, I'm not big on post-editing and prefer to let my words stay. At least I tried to emphasize that the issues were my own hands and not the quality of the neck. I've been playing it for 2 days straight now and really like it. It's still not quite at the level (feeling wise) as my EBMM necks but it's better than most. The fretboard roll is still a tad sharper than I'd like but it's not a deal breaker. The frets are also taller than any other frets I own. I order medium jumbo. I don't know a ton about different fret sizes. I thought I was ordering frets that were comparable to my Music Man frets but they're not. I remember trying to ascertain what EBMM uses for fret sizes and found stuff online that said they're most comparable to med/jumbo. But, it's a beautiful well made neck and I'm glad I ordered it.

fatz treeboy

TDPRI Member
Tele® Neck Custom Build
  • Guitar Neck Build:
  • Construction Type:
    1 Piece Constructed
  • Orientation:
  • Scale Length:
    25.5" Standard Fender
  • Number of Frets:
  • Nut Width:
    1-5/8" (41.3mm)
  • Nut Slot Style:
  • Heel Width and Type:
  • Truss Rod Type:
  • Shaft Wood:
  • Fingerboard Radius:
    10"
  • Tuner Hole Size:
    11/32" (Standard Kluson)
  • Top Inlay Type:
    1/4" Dots (Black)
  • Side Markers:
    Black 2mm
  • Side Dot Location:
  • 12th Dot Spacing:
  • Fret Size and Type:
    Standard Walnut
    AYS 81 91 (EVH)
  • Binding:
    NONE
  • Tuner Install:
    NONE
  • Nut Installation:
  • Finish:
  • Neck Mounting Holes:
  • Total:
    $330.00
cool story :) MiM strats from the 90's are the bees knees :) i got a 1990's squire whose neck is perfect :) i don't know if a machine made them but it looks clean and straight ..... ( and was at Squire prices :) i love looking for the perfect Strat Squire.... or MiM strat too......... that's a challenge... anyone can spend 2000 bucks and order a good guitar.... using your eyes to examine and locate
one on the cheap more rock and roll...... IMHO :)

Boxla

Tele-Holic
Yeah, in hindsight, I would not have gone med jumbo. They are too tall for my liking. I'd go with whatever is shorter. I'm just ignorant about fret sizes.
I’ve never held an assymetrical neck, is the fatter side towards the high E or the low E?

Looks nice, things feel way different once they’re bolted on, right.
I don't even know if I can tell you. I don't know the exact carve, I just know that I love it. I think the fatter side is on the low E. The original Ernie Ball Music Man neck for the Axis was based off of Ed's worn Frankestrat. So, I've always assumed that the asymmetrical carve simply came from the wear her put on his neck after all those hours of playing it.
I've done small edge rolls with a screwdriver shaft or a small file, as well, on rosewood finger boards, which get re-oiled anyway. A bit different story with a maple neck. Also Musikraft leaves the fret ends pretty darn close to the edge and feeling a little sharp, but I prefer to roll off my own anyway (rather than them possibly taking off too much). A small fret file from Stew-Mac with the machined flat edge is good for that.
Indeed, the frets are almost straight up on the ends. There's not a lot of bevel to them which definitely gives them a sharp feeling.
cool story :) MiM strats from the 90's are the bees knees :) i got a 1990's squire whose neck is perfect :) i don't know if a machine made them but it looks clean and straight ..... ( and was at Squire prices :) i love looking for the perfect Strat Squire.... or MiM strat too......... that's a challenge... anyone can spend 2000 bucks and order a good guitar.... using your eyes to examine and locate
one on the cheap more rock and roll...... IMHO :)
I love the guitars and really hated to change the neck but it was time for new frets. So, it was either a re-fret job or a new neck closer to what I wanted. I chose the new neck. But, I can say, there is a tone difference unplugged. The old neck was definitely a lot rock harder maple with a lot more snap. This neck seems a little softer and more subdued. I play a lot of country twang stuff so it's not great that it's like that but again, it's not a deal breaker.

Juan1

TDPRI Member
Interesting! I also have a Musikraft neck on order to approximate the early 90s Ernie Ball EVH. I remember those necks being slightly chunkier. Sure enough, the specs on the used ones typically show .84/.93, so I paid $50 extra to Musikraft for those numbers. Back to your point, the Axis neck thickness DID vary by year or era.

According to the YouTube tour of the Music Man factory, they are very aware that players love their necks, and really focus on making them well.

Hodgo88

Tele-Meister
I currently have a picture of my completed neck, but it's still with MJT as part of a build, also 6100s and semi-rolled. This thread gave me a little heartburn, I'm nearly at 6 months of waiting! Nice to hear all is still well and good at Musikraft. This will be Numero 4 for me, maybe I need to get me an EBMM and find out what I've been missing!

Boxla

Tele-Holic
I currently have a picture of my completed neck, but it's still with MJT as part of a build, also 6100s and semi-rolled. This thread gave me a little heartburn, I'm nearly at 6 months of waiting! Nice to hear all is still well and good at Musikraft. This will be Numero 4 for me, maybe I need to get me an EBMM and find out what I've been missing!
I think your neck will be perfect and to your liking.

i have 10 electric guitars that I could easily gig with and a few more that are not gig worthy or ready and then a bunch of acoustics. These EBMM are like nothing I have ever felt. I have other satin and oil rubbed necks, just like this musikraft, but none of them come remotely close to the Music Man. I don’t know how they do it but they do it. I’ve been playing since I was 13, 34 years ago. I’ve never owned or played a guitar that had made me want to stop playing any other guitar besides that one. I thought my PRS was the greatest ever made but I still wanted to play my Tele and Strat but once I got the EBMM, it made me put down every other guitar and only want to play my Axis Sports. This musikraft neck is the first neck that I want to play other than my Sports. In the end I still only want to play my EBMM but this neck and Tele are awesome and will be my backup guitar at any gig.

Volcanicash01

TDPRI Member
This should be nice! That light roasted maple sounds good. Let us know how you like them?

I have two Musikraft necks on my main guitars and really enjoy them. Note they do leave the frets pretty close to the edge so I rounded them back a little to be more comfortable. That's probably preferable to them over rounding. These have both been very stable. I only have needed to do some spot leveling in the first year or so on each, then they've been maintenance free. (Stainless steel frets for me.)
The only stainless steel fret I have is a Petillo one, and it is the zero fret on my Kramer 850G. They all had one. Not a lot of people know that.

Attachments

• DE9E5036-5029-4337-A04B-6DB87AA69011.jpeg
    DE9E5036-5029-4337-A04B-6DB87AA69011.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 0BA22E34-3E5F-4B4D-97F7-F2840B2FF2DB.jpeg
    0BA22E34-3E5F-4B4D-97F7-F2840B2FF2DB.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 10

Volcanicash01

TDPRI Member
Hi. Just got back in town, impromptu trip to D.C. with my 8th grader's class. The shape is the AYS 81/91 EVH. They are the ones who put EVH, I did not add that to the specs in my op. But to be frank, it may be spot on some EVH model. There are different EVH guitars, you have the striped Strat style and the Wolfgang style that mimics the Ernie Ball body shape and many examples within those lines. I have never played the striped EVH so, this neck may be spot on to it. The issue is definitely with me and not the neck. I just thought I was going to get closer to what I wanted by sticking with anything that says EVH. Because, the EB Music Man neck is supposedly a replica of Ed's famous striped partscaster that he played the most. That's why the neck is so narrow and small, they say it mimics the wear down that Ed had done to that neck. And he liked the size so EBMM mimicked it. I even went with the 41.3 mm nut as that's what EBMM does. It's too narrow for many players but it fits my hand perfect. The width at the 12th fret on the new neck is narrower than my Tele and the same as my EBMM, it's only the depth that's getting me. I don't know the numbers but will get them. I don't see on their website where it told me the depth. I just assumed, and we all know what assuming does lol.

At this point, my plan is to install the tuners this weekend and put it on. It is what it is. Since, it's not my main guitar, my 2 EBMM Axis' are, all will be fine.

I too thought about simply sanding and reshaping the neck but at this point, I'm not going to put one more penny into it and it will mess up the nice oil rubbed finish it has. I'll spend my time and money searching for the elusive single coil EBMM Axis Sport. Thanks ya'll!
Yeah. EBMM EVH necks are superb. Specced by the man himself. RIP Ed.
See mine. Made on August 2, 1992. I got it from new, when the price was not so stupid! All’s you need is a bottle of gunstock oil, a rag and off you go! It goes well with my 80’s ‘rettas! Tap on Dudes!

Attachments

• BB6050F7-15EB-4930-B9A7-27CBFF12F933.jpeg
    BB6050F7-15EB-4930-B9A7-27CBFF12F933.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 65AC5F6B-DEB0-4A6A-8623-8B5C3B5976C4.jpeg
    65AC5F6B-DEB0-4A6A-8623-8B5C3B5976C4.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 9
  • E6ABFD7C-7329-4507-8F71-6180E2D168A7.jpeg
    E6ABFD7C-7329-4507-8F71-6180E2D168A7.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 720276D8-81ED-426F-BF67-28B5AEFFA718.jpeg
    720276D8-81ED-426F-BF67-28B5AEFFA718.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 8
  • D14ECD58-88A9-44EA-8185-DC06F8DFAC67.jpeg
    D14ECD58-88A9-44EA-8185-DC06F8DFAC67.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 8

Arfage

Tele-Meister
exactly lol! I feel bad at this point for saying any negative stuff toward Musikraft and would love to edit my posts but at the same time, I'm not big on post-editing and prefer to let my words stay. At least I tried to emphasize that the issues were my own hands and not the quality of the neck. I've been playing it for 2 days straight now and really like it. It's still not quite at the level (feeling wise) as my EBMM necks but it's better than most. The fretboard roll is still a tad sharper than I'd like but it's not a deal breaker. The frets are also taller than any other frets I own. I order medium jumbo. I don't know a ton about different fret sizes. I thought I was ordering frets that were comparable to my Music Man frets but they're not. I remember trying to ascertain what EBMM uses for fret sizes and found stuff online that said they're most comparable to med/jumbo. But, it's a beautiful well made neck and I'm glad I ordered it.
Fretwire can be a little funny. The COA in my U.S. G&L said medium jumbo but I'd swear they're jumbo. I'm sure it's THEIR medium jumbo, what their vendor gives them. It's clearly larger than Gibson's or Fender's.