Musikraft neck delivery tomorrow

Boxla

Tele-Holic
After a four month wait, pretty much to the day, my neck is supposed to be delivered tommorow. I can't wait! I'm going to put it on my 1993 MIM Tele. I bought it new in '93 and have played this neck a lot. I modeled my new neck off of my EBMM Axis necks, so it will be all-around smaller than the original neck. I'm super excited. Here's what I went with;
Tele® Neck Custom Build
  • Guitar Neck Build:
    Qty: 1, Price: $195.00
  • Construction Type:
    1 Piece Constructed
  • Orientation:
    Right for Right Handed Players
  • Scale Length:
    25.5" Standard Fender
  • Number of Frets:
  • Nut Width:
    1-5/8" (41.3mm)
  • Nut Slot Style:
    1/8" Nut Slot (Standard Fender)
  • Heel Width and Type:
    2-3/16" (55.55mm) Squared Tele
  • Truss Rod Type:
    Dual Acting w/4mm Hex Adjust @ Heel
  • Shaft Wood:
    Roasted Light Figured Maple ($40.00)
  • Fingerboard Radius:
    10"
  • Fingerboard Edge Style:
    Semi Rolled Fingerboard Edges
  • Tuner Hole Size:
    11/32" (Standard Kluson)
  • Top Inlay Type:
    1/4" Dots (Black)
  • Side Markers:
    Black 2mm
  • Side Dot Location:
    Center of Fingerboard Wood
  • 12th Dot Spacing:
    Wide (Vintage Style Pre 1964)
  • Fret Size and Type:
    6150 Nickel Silver (Medium Jumbo)
  • Skunk Stripe Option 1pc:
    Standard Walnut
  • Back Profile Shape and Size:
    AYS 81 91 (EVH)
  • Binding:
    NONE
  • Tuner Install:
    NONE
  • Nut Installation:
    Install Slotted TUSQ Nut ($35.00)
  • Finish:
    Oil (Same Oil Fender Uses) ($60.00)
  • Neck Mounting Holes:
    Drill Neck Mounting Holes Standard Fender Pattern
  • Total:
    $330.00

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Awesome! I have a Musikraft neck on one of my teles. I went with a rosewood board with a boatneck V Blackguard profile in regular maple and did the finish myself with tru oil. I hope you like their oil finish, considering how good their craftsmanship is I'm sure it will be a knockout. Enjoy!

Boxla

Tele-Holic
the only thing I regret doing is the heel truss rod. Only because of easy access but would great if I never need to access it.
There are two lines of thinking on the heel access truss rod. We'll use Ernie Ball Music Man's thoughts and Keisel's
1- EBMM think it's a great spot for the adjustment and even uses the great wheel
2-Keisel thinks it's the absolute worst place for the adjustment and not only that but it's a bad spot and makes everything backwards to what it should be.

In the end, I'd prefer graphite rods in my necks and I'd never have to think about adjusting a truss rod.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
This should be nice! That light roasted maple sounds good. Let us know how you like them?

I have two Musikraft necks on my main guitars and really enjoy them. Note they do leave the frets pretty close to the edge so I rounded them back a little to be more comfortable. That's probably preferable to them over rounding. These have both been very stable. I only have needed to do some spot leveling in the first year or so on each, then they've been maintenance free. (Stainless steel frets for me.)

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
I had mine shipped without a nut knowing I was going to have a local luthier shop do a full setup and nut install. I have had zero fret height/setup/maintenance issues since I finished the project five years ago. No adjustments needed to the truss rod either, it's been wonderfully stable in the dry CO air. I'm happy I got the heel adjust but maybe only because I haven't had to touch it, it makes the headstock look so much better but that's not news to anyone.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
After a four month wait, pretty much to the day, my neck is supposed to be delivered tommorow. I can't wait! I'm going to put it on my 1993 MIM Tele. I bought it new in '93 and have played this neck a lot. I modeled my new neck off of my EBMM Axis necks, so it will be all-around smaller than the original neck. I'm super excited. Here's what I went with;
Tele® Neck Custom Build
  • Guitar Neck Build:
    Qty: 1, Price: $195.00
  • Construction Type:
    1 Piece Constructed
  • Orientation:
    Right for Right Handed Players
  • Scale Length:
    25.5" Standard Fender
  • Number of Frets:
  • Nut Width:
    1-5/8" (41.3mm)
  • Nut Slot Style:
    1/8" Nut Slot (Standard Fender)
  • Heel Width and Type:
    2-3/16" (55.55mm) Squared Tele
  • Truss Rod Type:
    Dual Acting w/4mm Hex Adjust @ Heel
  • Shaft Wood:
    Roasted Light Figured Maple ($40.00)
  • Fingerboard Radius:
    10"
  • Fingerboard Edge Style:
    Semi Rolled Fingerboard Edges
  • Tuner Hole Size:
    11/32" (Standard Kluson)
  • Top Inlay Type:
    1/4" Dots (Black)
  • Side Markers:
    Black 2mm
  • Side Dot Location:
    Center of Fingerboard Wood
  • 12th Dot Spacing:
    Wide (Vintage Style Pre 1964)
  • Fret Size and Type:
    6150 Nickel Silver (Medium Jumbo)
  • Skunk Stripe Option 1pc:
    Standard Walnut
  • Back Profile Shape and Size:
    AYS 81 91 (EVH)
  • Binding:
    NONE
  • Tuner Install:
    NONE
  • Nut Installation:
    Install Slotted TUSQ Nut ($35.00)
  • Finish:
    Oil (Same Oil Fender Uses) ($60.00)
  • Neck Mounting Holes:
    Drill Neck Mounting Holes Standard Fender Pattern
  • Total:
    $330.00
Just what I'd have ordered, although I think next time I personally would have the adjuster at the nut, and I'd go for stainless frets.

Boxla

Tele-Holic
HI all,

I've been out of town, it got delivered and it looks beautiful and feel nice. But, I went wrong somewhere. I simply miss-ordered. I ordered the Wolfgang shape, thinking it would be something close to the actual EVH shape but it's far from it. At least the EVH shape on my Ernie Ball. Maybe this is the shape of the Peavy or the Fender EVH, but i find that hard to believe. I don't think Ed veered that far from the EBMM profile. Not only is it a ton thicker than the Axis, it's a ton thicker at the 12th fret than my original Tele neck by several MM. I effed up. I don't even think I'm going to put it on. It may just sit in my office as a $400 waste of money. But, it's not the neck, it's me. The neck looks beautiful and feel nice and the frets look great and all looks great. It's just a whacked out neck profile for me. Live and learn. I should never had tried to imitate my EB Music Man necks as there is no imitation and other necks don't have the feel or shape that they do. Oh well. I'd sell it to anyone interested at this point, ugh. I'll take pics tonight.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
HI all,

I've been out of town, it got delivered and it looks beautiful and feel nice. But, I went wrong somewhere. I simply miss-ordered. I ordered the Wolfgang shape, thinking it would be something close to the actual EVH shape but it's far from it. At least the EVH shape on my Ernie Ball. Maybe this is the shape of the Peavy or the Fender EVH, but i find that hard to believe. I don't think Ed veered that far from the EBMM profile. Not only is it a ton thicker than the Axis, it's a ton thicker at the 12th fret than my original Tele neck by several MM. I effed up. I don't even think I'm going to put it on. It may just sit in my office as a $400 waste of money. But, it's not the neck, it's me. The neck looks beautiful and feel nice and the frets look great and all looks great. It's just a whacked out neck profile for me. Live and learn. I should never had tried to imitate my EB Music Man necks as there is no imitation and other necks don't have the feel or shape that they do. Oh well. I'd sell it to anyone interested at this point, ugh. I'll take pics tonight.
Does it match the profile on their spec page? (They show the cross sections and thicknesses at 1st and 12th frets for each). Curious if it matches, and there wasn't enough info to see what you don't like about it? I measured a couple of my necks before deciding on what to order but yeah, hard to know without holding one.

Edit, I don't see it listed. Custom shape?

Hodgo88

Tele-Meister
The profile is in the link you shared, they just don't call it the EVH unless you're in the custom neck form. The other AYS profiles are SRV and a 65 Strat.

I'd be interested to know how your measures under calipers compared to what you ordered and the EBMM is.

Profile is, I think, just part of the equation. Your fingers are capable of detecting as little as 13 nanometers, so every variable counts. Shoulder width and fretboard roll are major factors in how chunky a neck feels IMHO.

Pics?

Boxla

Tele-Holic
Hi. Just got back in town, impromptu trip to D.C. with my 8th grader's class. The shape is the AYS 81/91 EVH. They are the ones who put EVH, I did not add that to the specs in my op. But to be frank, it may be spot on some EVH model. There are different EVH guitars, you have the striped Strat style and the Wolfgang style that mimics the Ernie Ball body shape and many examples within those lines. I have never played the striped EVH so, this neck may be spot on to it. The issue is definitely with me and not the neck. I just thought I was going to get closer to what I wanted by sticking with anything that says EVH. Because, the EB Music Man neck is supposedly a replica of Ed's famous striped partscaster that he played the most. That's why the neck is so narrow and small, they say it mimics the wear down that Ed had done to that neck. And he liked the size so EBMM mimicked it. I even went with the 41.3 mm nut as that's what EBMM does. It's too narrow for many players but it fits my hand perfect. The width at the 12th fret on the new neck is narrower than my Tele and the same as my EBMM, it's only the depth that's getting me. I don't know the numbers but will get them. I don't see on their website where it told me the depth. I just assumed, and we all know what assuming does lol.

At this point, my plan is to install the tuners this weekend and put it on. It is what it is. Since, it's not my main guitar, my 2 EBMM Axis' are, all will be fine.

I too thought about simply sanding and reshaping the neck but at this point, I'm not going to put one more penny into it and it will mess up the nice oil rubbed finish it has. I'll spend my time and money searching for the elusive single coil EBMM Axis Sport. Thanks ya'll!

Hodgo88

Tele-Meister
Boy, that sucks that it's not what you'd hoped for. Have you considered a hum sized single replacement on one of your two axises? A Lollar Novel T and some fiddling with pots and caps could get you there.

But I also don't see any spilled milk here. I'd take that neck off your hands if you really hate it. Sounds like a great spec - "vintage hot" ! Would love to see a pic of what Musikraft calls light figured these days too.

Boxla

Tele-Holic
The profile is in the link you shared, they just don't call it the EVH unless you're in the custom neck form. The other AYS profiles are SRV and a 65 Strat.

I'd be interested to know how your measures under calipers compared to what you ordered and the EBMM is.

Profile is, I think, just part of the equation. Your fingers are capable of detecting as little as 13 nanometers, so every variable counts. Shoulder width and fretboard roll are major factors in how chunky a neck feels IMHO.

Pics?
Fretboard roll. I think this is probably the main culprit, in addition to the size. I had no idea that; 1- all 35 of my guitars must have more than semi rolled fretboard edges, 2- that is would matter this much and 3- why these necks would ever be made with edges like the one one I have. They call it semi rolled. I think that’s pretty lenient. I’d hate to feel a non rolled neck. I've never played any guitar with edges like these. But, I put the neck on. It looks beautiful and great but do not like the feel. Here are some pics. It was hard to capture all the details. In the end, it’s pretty clear what happened to me. I blame Ernie Ball Music Man Their necks are so good that they make all other necks feel inferior lol. But, I will reiterate, it’s me and my hands that are the problem and not the neck. The neck is beautiful and very well made
BBBB6036-A57E-4A31-9221-184AC5007129.jpeg
B167837D-38E9-445A-94E5-3EBC4E4A17AE.jpeg
3FD69028-A6F7-4F7C-A911-26EF3E9C89BC.jpeg
2BCEEF08-8B15-4992-AB27-63AF6899ED5D.jpeg
42CC0B68-6F6C-42F8-993B-42B87D80A589.jpeg