Musikraft Blackguard - Should I refinish the body?

Brian.Tele

Tele-Meister
So I put together a partscaster using a Musikraft Blackguard Neck and Body set a few years ago and they fit like a glove. The guitar was finished by Mark Jenny and its a pale yellow blonde that you might see on a 1954 blackguard, I was going for more of a NOS looking finish.

Knowing that the guitar would take decades (if ever) to yellow like one of the originals, I'd really like to build a new one in a darker yellow butterscotch blonde like a vintage Broadcaster. Unfortunately, Musikraft doesn't offer Blackguard bodies anymore.

I'm really tempted to disassemble the guitar and have Mark refinish the body and get a new Blackguard neck from from Musikraft. Do you guys think removing all the hardware and refinishing the body could screw it up somehow? It's a beautiful light weight 2-piece swamp ash.

willietheweirdo

Tele-Meister
Across the street from Anderson Guitarworks
If it's done right, refin shouldn't screw anything up...

I wonder if you could just leave the body out in the sun. Or put it in a tanning bed, for that matter. I wouldn't feel great about the temperature and humidity fluctuations but I heard of someone leaving a white body outside on their balcony for a summer with good results.

Brian.Tele

Tele-Meister
Unfortunately Musikraft isn't making any more of their Blackguard Tele bodies so I'm thinking of just refinishing the one I have

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
Buy one from someone else. It's really just a BSB swamp ash Telecaster, preferably, right? Should be plenty to choose from.

Last edited:

hamerfan

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I am also entertaining the un method. Some years ago i put greenish pickguard into the sun for some weeks. It faded the green and added some amber….nice.

FuncleManson

Tele-Meister
Check MJT's eBay auctions. You might find a great deal on a blackguard body.

Or you could custom order one from him. I think his current base price is $425 with a $50 upcharge if you want ash.

Last edited:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Stratosphere often has some nice Tele bodies. Until then, I would try the sun or UV method. Just remember to rotate it!

Another option would be a simple overspray instead of a refinish. A tinted clearcoat can artificially age it, but you would likely want to use something tough, because if you use nitro and it wears through, it may look kinda unnatural.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
As mentioned above uv or fluorescent light can help here and is a cheap method - if the finish is nitro. You can also place the guitar in direct or indirect sunlight. Indirect is safer. Instead of waiting 2-3 weeks plus shipping time for the body to cure and be back to you, just expose it light :)

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
The best one to answer your question would be Mark Jenny. Tell him what you want, ask him if he can do it and what it would cost. Depending what he put on it the last time he will know how to strip it and whether he can get the results you want.

Come back and show us when it is done.

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted
In my experience exposing the finish to sunlight tends to bleach it, rather than amber it. Is this different from what you guys experienced?
I also believe I saw it changing back a little bit in the months after the sunlight exposure (?)

NC E30

Tele-Meister
You've got nothing to lose by sitting it near a window where it can get some sun. Since it is Nitro, I would expect it to amber with the UV exposure. If you don't like the result, I have no doubt that Mark could refinish it exactly like you want.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
In my experience exposing the finish to sunlight tends to bleach it, rather than amber it. Is this different from what you guys experienced?
I also believe I saw it changing back a little bit in the months after the sunlight exposure (?)
I think sunlight will do both. UV is the part of sunlight that causes the yellowing as I recall. The other wavelengths can cause fading.

NC E30

Tele-Meister
It would be worth a call to Mark Jenny, he can probably take what you have and expedite the aging process without refinishing it.