Musicmaster Bass Amp- Fair Asking Price?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by umasstele, May 22, 2020.

1. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Ok guys- it's finally time. My wife and I are expecting our first child in July, a little girl...and I couldn't be happier.
    Unfortunately life/work has caught up to me in the last couple of years, and I'm not playing electric as much as i was. I'll probably regret it, as I got this old girl when these could be had anywhere for $75, but with the new baby we need some cash. You all know the drill!

Amp is very clean, going to probably have it checked out by my tech first. It has a Celestion Vintage 30 in it, and nothing else special- functions as these normally do.

Checked eBay completed listings and Reverb, and these are kinda of all over the place.

What would you guys suggest (obviously without seeing it in front of you) as a decent starting point?

Tom

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    uriah1 likes this.
  3. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

That was my gut feeling

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Imho, it would depend on whether the amp had been recapped; but many buyers these days do not consider that aspect. that said, for my money, I would give more for one of these than I would say a Blues Jr. or a zero Jr....or a PV Classic 20/30 amp.

Good luck on the sale, UMass, and congratulations the upcoming birth.

umasstele likes this.
  5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

If good playable condition, list for $400, sell for $350. There are zillions listed at $500+, and they’ve been sitting for months (years?).

radiocaster likes this.
  6. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Seems the 6v6 models (as pictured) Disappear off Atlanta CL around 350.00 - 400. The other (el84?) ones Ive seen sit for a while then be gone when the price hits under 300.00.

umasstele likes this.
  7. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Those are 6AQ5 7 pin tubes. 6V6 in a smaller bottle.

Ronzo and Wally like this.
  8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on becoming a dad.

umasstele likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah the 6v6 version is worth more and I guess those mentioned selling prices are market. I think that’s low but it depends on how many are for sale I guess.

10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Correct. They are NOT EL84's as many often state! 6AQ5's are inexpensive and easily found, but much more limited brand-wise and tricky to match for anyone but tube sellers with specific high voltage equipment.

If the amp has fresh filter caps and is the 6V6 version, agree with the $350-400 range. The 6AQ5 $50 less because of limited output tube selections.

If it has NOT been serviced (i.e. the filter caps are 15+ years old) $250 or so for either one. It is going to cost the buyer $100-200 for basic service on top of the purchase price.

"Checked out" by your tech does not mean he will replace old filter caps, which have a service life of 15-20 years. Many techs just make sure the amp is working, especially if you plan to sell it. IMO if it hasn't been serviced it either needs to be done or sold with "buyer should expect to have the amp checked and serviced by a qualified tech before use" even if it works perfectly.

11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

List it on Reverb for $400 OBO for a few weeks, and be willing to take $300. If nothing, start it at $250, no reserve, on E-Bay, 10 day auction, and take what the market offers that week.

Forget paying to have it "checked out" by your tech first. It's money spent that won't help you get any more for the amp. Just post a demo video on the Reverb listing.

That's how I'd approach selling a not very collectible but still somewhat desirable piece that had been modified.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    radiocaster and umasstele like this.
  12. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

dented likes this.
  13. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the input guys! And also thanks for the kind words.

The amp I have is the one with the 6AQ5s.

muchxs- I always thought it'd be a neat cabinet to mount a vibro-champ into...

Good point- if I'm looking to make a couple bills on it (at least recoup my investment) it probably doesn't make sense at this price point for me to have it gone through.

14. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Thats really strange that chassis went like that...

15. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Got a mix 'n' match deal over here. I picked up a super clean 6V6 Musicmaster Bass Amp chassis I'm saving for something special. Sent the cabinet down the road. I still have the cabinet from my "Buffalo Bayou" MMB from Houston. That one is too ugly to sell but useful as a pattern.

I suspect it was some sort of convergence. At the height of the quarantine people had little to do but surf the internet. And buy stuff. The eBay listing was for ten days. It ratcheted up for ten days. It just kept going up and up.

There may have been some unseen cross promotion. It may have been vigorously promoted on Facebook for example.

My take- away is if you want to sell your MMB:

Sell the working chassis. Seems to me it should be worth $250 especially if another one went for $360.

Sell the cabinet. A clean MMB cabinet is worth $200

It wouldn't be a stretch to get a little more than that. Way I figure it $500 is a princely sum for an MMB. Apparently MMBs have a following. I've seen them promoted as a "Poor Man's Princeton Reverb".

In other news in normal times I'm down in Northampton, Easthampton, Hadley and / or Amherst at least once a month.

umasstele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.