U Roy
Vangelis
Whistling Jack Smith
XFacta
Yellowman
Zakk Wylde

saltyseadog

Tele-Holic
A lot of "nicknames" are received for various reasons in childhood and some of them become fixed for life. Where I grew up, in a small fishing town in NE Scotland there are a preponderence of Stewarts, Campbells, Thompson, Smiths and McCleods. With so many of these having similar christian names it becomes easier to know who is who locally by a byname usually given for doing or saying something in childhood but sometimes handed down from generation to generation.

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
Joe Cocker was actually John when he started life. Wikipedia sez "Cocker received his nickname of Joe either from playing a childhood game called "Cowboy Joe", or from a local window cleaner named Joe."

D.H.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
A lot of "nicknames" are received for various reasons in childhood and some of them become fixed for life. Where I grew up, in a small fishing town in NE Scotland there are a preponderence of Stewarts, Campbells, Thompson, Smiths and McCleods. With so many of these having similar christian names it becomes easier to know who is who locally by a byname usually given for doing or saying something in childhood but sometimes handed down from generation to generation.
There's a small fishing village in Holland called Urk, which I came across through work years ago.
Most families are called van Urk, and most of the men are called Jacob.
The poor postman, who is probably called Jacob van Urk, must be demented.
Morning Jacob...morning Jacob...morning Jacob...