MUSICIANS MUST LEARN SIGN LANGUAGE!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Mar 21, 2021.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Military nomenclature was invented for exactly this

Key of Echo Bravo
    Key of Charlie
    Key of Golf

etc.

guitar bands only ever play in four keys anyway EGAD

blowtorch likes this.
  2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i used to work with a deaf guy...he taught me all the cool curse words in sign language

Jakedog likes this.
  3. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

I like to let the drummer know what key the song is in.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve been on tons of gigs where nobody in the band regularly plays together, and a couple of people maybe never have played together at all. There is no set list, because it was last minute, and making one would be silly as you don’t even know what songs everyone knows until you get to the gig and come up with a battle plan while you’re setting up.

Even with an established lineup, if there’s a request, and I know the lyrics, we’ll generally do it. Calling an audible, so to speak.

Then there’s the straight up jam night situations, where you get four or five people on stage who nave never even met each other. Knowing numbers makes those so much easier and more fun.

DOC DYA likes this.
  5. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Wait wait wait... songs have different keys???

RobRiggs and Jakedog like this.
  6. Jakedog

It’s essential that everyone actively listen at all times. And that they know how to, and what they’re listening for. If you don’t have this, you don’t have a band. Just a bunch of people making noise with their instruments at the same time.

People are able to do this to varying degrees. One of the bands I play with, isn’t very good at it. But they work, and a paycheck is a paycheck. My main band could be better at it, but they aren’t terrible. The guys I do pick-up gigs with are excellent at it. It’s the only way those gigs work.

I guest host a jam periodically where the drummer is a Berklee alum, the bassist spent fifteen years in the Air Force Band, and the guitarist has operated his own guitar conservatory for thirty years, and is a walking master class in just about everything. Those guys are mind readers. Except they aren’t. They’re just paying attention. And it’s glorious. I can do literally anything I want, and they are totally on top of it. I wish I could do that gig every day.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've replaced band members who don't play "heads up."
    I get homicidal if I have to whistle or yell at a drummer to get his attention for a change, stop, whatever.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Jakedog

As you should. No excuse for that.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yep Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo Foxtrot Golf gets the job done

10. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Johnny Cash knew sign language . ;)

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

A thumb up covers sharps and a thumb down covers flats. Easy peasey.

12. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

The solutions mentionned above have ben used for ages by blues or rock bands for good reasons. As usual, ask Jakedog!!!
    If the situation asks for a more sophisticated solution, "Soundpainting" can be an interesting solution (check soundpainting videos on Utube). It was invented by Walter Johnson in the 70's and is mostly used by jazz and contemporary musicians and dancers. It can be quite complex (hundreds of different signs...), but just a few of the signs can be helpfull. I was introduced to this system during a jazz impro workshop and played in a live session with a dozen musicians (Bass, drums, guitar, all the other musicians were hornplayers and we had never played together). The trumpet player that was leading the session used a few soundpainting signs to organize the different parts (drum breaks, fortes, pianissimos, who plays what, etc) and it worked great.

Jakedog likes this.
  13. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

I remember a gig in Nashville where I was playing bass and suddenly the guitar player started flashing hand movements at me. Not knowing the hand signals, I was mighty confused, did I suddenly join a street gang and he was giving me the secret code for “kill them all?”

Had he just told me the key, then I, iV, V etc I would’ve been fine.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.