Musician interviews, documenaries...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ash Telecaster, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:13 PM.

1. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

I rarely get through very much of them. They just bore me to tears, people droning on and on. I started to watch the Netflix one on Queen, but I can't get past Adam Lambert. What where they thinking??? Yea, he can hit the high notes, but he has all the power of a nine year old girl. At one point they went from Freddie to Adam and I just shook my head it was so sad.

I'm not sure if I've ever made it all the way through any of them.

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

A few more to add to the pile.

Can't Stand Loosing You. The Police. A doc about Andy Summers and the Police and really nicely done. It dances around Sting's enormous ego a bit, can't hide how relentlessly annoying Stewart Copeland can be, and really doesn't give much screen time to his musicianship. But all in all, it's worth the time and he's very candid about himself. And its on Amazon Prime right now.

loudQUIETloud: A Film About the Pixies. Pretty good present tense film about the Pixies reunion and then devolution. Great music, lots of Kim Deal, but could have been so much greater with an addendum that spent some time candidly delving into Deal's latest departure from the group. She's an amazing talent, and a tremendous head case who seemed to be really committed to staying sober. Would have been nice to know more about her motivation to leave.

Still Bill. A documentary about Bill Withers. A really uplifting doc about a minor figure in music who, as it turns out, is a great man. He's the first rock musician I think I've envied, just a guy with a lot of integrity, and well grounded with a lot of perspective.

Fearless Freaks. About the Flaming Lips, incredibly entertaining and insightful if you love lo-fi DIY musicians who like to experiment. I love that the lead singer still lives in the same neighborhood he grew up in.

808. A documentary about the Roland TR-808 drum machine and how it was used in disco, electronica, rap, etc. I watched this with my son, who is heavily into rap, so that may have colored my favorable opinion on the documentary. But its a cool story.

Anvil! The Story of Anvil. Just really inspiring story of persistence even if the main characters are clearly blockheads, you root for them.

The Punk Singer. This is about Kathleen Hanna from Bikini Kill. Really knew nothing about her music, but this was a really great documentary. Good perspective on Riot Grrl music too.

You're Gonna Miss Me. Tragic but kinda sweet story about Roky Erickson's career and afterwards.

Hit so Hard. The ascent and descent of Patty Schemel, the drummer from Hole. The doc itself is pretty good but it also offers a glimpse into the crappy side of rock music and some particularly insightful stuff on "getting the drum track" for an album It also makes 808 seem all the more sinister if you love humanity in your music.

Someone mentioned Rush already. Rush and The Eagles, two bands that I'm not into, but their documentaries should be a template for how to do this stuff. You come away feeling like you know the principle characters. Unlike polished trash like "Rattle and Hum" or "The Last Waltz," where its all carefully choreographed and intended to create an image.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    Steve 78 and pi like this.
  3. Ben Bishop

Ben Bishop Tele-Meister

I have a copy of Elvis '56 and recommend it highly. It was the year he really and truly hit the heights.

4. pi

pi TDPRI Member

For all the acclaim of Wrecking Crew, I was looking forward to it, but found it kinda boring.

Last year I saw Echo in the Canyon, and that was pretty good. It overlaps material but was more interesting.

It Might Get Loud is ok.

There was a documentary series of Grateful Dead on Amazon that was good, but a bit long to watch it all.
    Country Music is also good, but makes the Grateful Dead one look brief.

5. pi

pi TDPRI Member

For a really entertaining one about a rivalry between two indie bands that take themselves too seriously, see "Dig".

There was also a great one about cover bands called "Tribute". There's a KISS cover band that has Spinal Tap-esque adventures.

"Searching For Sugarman" is another good one.

6. wacolo

wacolo Tele-Meister

A fine documentary about the lives of backup singers.

7. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

The Ritchie Blackmore Story is great!

Great if you like a well done doc about self absorbed tools! Actually great anyways! He's juts got this way about him that you can't look away.... he may punch you if you do.

In the same vein Beware Of Mr. Baker

8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I recommend Tom Dowd & the Language of Music. Tom was an excellent producer of blues, R&B, and rock for Atlantic. He produced the Allman Brothers for Capricorn and Derek & The Dominoes on the Layla album. In the documentary he plays back selections from the Layla album from the multitracks, isolates the tracks, and discusses them.

Bob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.