Musician interviews, documenaries...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ash Telecaster, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hello all,

I was wondering what musician focused documentaries or interviews you have found that are worth the time and energy to watch.

I recently saw a Hendrix documentary but it was from a decidedly non musical perspective which didn't interest me at all. I couldn't care less what people thought about his hair, etc.

On the other hand some of the Classic Albums documentaries are phenomenal, such as Aja, 2112, Machine Head...etc. You get both; information around the production of the album and musician interviews.

Share your favorites...

Thanks

RodeoTex likes this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I was just going to suggest those classic album documentaries.
    The Wrecking Crew and Ken Burns' Country Music are great too.

I just got the Carmine St. Guitars DVD. It was ok but just seemed to amble with no real direction.

Engine Swap and Ash Telecaster like this.
  3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Most all of them. Classic Albums have all been great, feature length ones are hit or miss. There are a bunch of documentaries to watch out for, though. Essentially a documentary that does not use the subject's music, does not talk to anyone closely related to the subject and spends most of its valuable screen time repeating the same ideas are usually a waste. Amazon has a tone of these types of documentaries that should be voided. I believe they all include the phrase "under review" in the title. Generally speaking the first five minutes of a music documentary will tell you whether to watch it or skip it. Some of my favorites:
    • Classic Albums
    • Once Were Brothers: The Band
    • Above Us Only Sky (John Lennon Plastic Ono)
    • Back and Forth: Foo Fighters
    • Sound City
    • Festival Express
    • The Kids are Alright: The Who
    • The Passing Show: Ronnie Lane
    • The Wrecking Crew
    • Muscle Shoals
    • It Might Get Loud
    • No Direction Home (Dylan)
    • Lemmy (Motorhead)
    • Aint In It For My Health (Levon Helm)
    • History of the Eagles
    • Who is Harry Nielson
    • Long Strange Trip (Grateful Dead)
    • Nothing Can Hurt Me: Big Star
    • Living in the Material World: George Harrison
    • Desert Age (various Palm Springs Punk Bands, Queens of the Stone Age frontman included)
    • Lo Desert Sound; less slick version of "Desert Age"

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Amazon is packed with tons of really terrible music docs.

The ones where they barely have clearance for any of the music ?

Yep - those . Bunch of Brit muso types jawing away about blah blah blah ...

lil scotty, Boil and Ash Telecaster like this.
  5. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just stumbled across a Chet Atkins one on Youtube that I'm watching now. Pretty good so far...

They cut into George Benson saying something like... "Guitar is one of those instruments where one day you feel like a master, and the next day you feel like an idiot." He took those words right out of my mouth!

Fretting out and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

There’s a really long Tom Petty documentary - Runnin’ Down a Dream. It was on Netflix here in Japan, but just after he died it was taken down. But I’m pretty sure it’s still available in other regions and on other services.

The first half was great. Then it got real tedious. For me at least. But, I still recommend at least half of it, and that’ll still give give you around two hours worth :)

The Defiant Ones was really great. It’s not really about hip hop either. It’s about Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre, what they’ve done and their connection. So, there’s really interesting stuff about Petty, Springsteen, Patty Smith, U2, etc.

Pax/
    Dean

JuneauMike and Ash Telecaster like this.
  7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

The vintage Leo Fender interview on Vimeo was quite interesting.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  8. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

9. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Sound City, Muscle Shoals, and The Wrecking Crew are all at the top of my list. And I'm not actually a huge fan, but I'll Be Me (Glen Campbell) was a fantastic documentary, but fair warning, it's kind of a tearjerker too.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Go to YouTube and watch any of the recent Garth Brooks interviews. They are noteworthy because the level of B.S. is off the charts. I remember hearing him interviewed on a Los Angeles FM rock station, KLOS, back in the early 90s. He was a regular humble guy, spoke like any other person you'd meet.

These days when you hear him speak, it's obvious that he believes he is one notch away from supernatural. He is now deeply philosophical in his answers, has a strange low serious voice, some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth sounds like a cult leader.

On the other hand, I suppose if you were the biggest artist in the entire universe, which he is, and has been for decades, I guess it would change you a bit.

11. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Meister

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Standing in the Shadows of Motown yet. It's a brilliant 2002 documentary about the Funk Brothers, the Motown house band who toiled away anonymously, playing on everything the label recorded until Berry Gordy moved Motown to Los Angeles in the early 1970s, with the vocalists on top getting the fame. Allan Slutsky, who sold the "Dr. Licks" guitar and bass instructional tapes in the 1980s, produced the documentary and got all of the then-living Funk Brothers back together, with an assortment of then-current singers to sing on top. The music is just glorious.

12. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

Clapton - Life In 12 Bars
    Rolling Stones - Crossfire Hurricane

Both excellent.

13. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  14. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

I recently watched the BBC Documentary about David Gilmour - Wider Horizons

I thought it was quite entertaining. Interesting peek at tour preparations for the Rattle That Lock tour, the houseboat studio, at home, etc.

You can watch it on youtube:

15. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

Also, the Jeff Beck documentary "Still on the run" is a great watch, but I'm not sure where you can find it these days.

Here's the trailer:

Harry and Ash Telecaster like this.
  16. wacolo

wacolo Tele-Meister

Some will say it is pushing the envelope of the term "musician" but I found this interview with Mickey Dolenz fun and fascinating.

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I liked Sound City. Twenty Feet from Stardom is maybe the best one I've ever seen. I watched one about Gogol Bordello, really mainly the front man that I liked enough to buy a few of their records that I don't have the same appreciation for.

18. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

The "Rush" documentary on Netflix. I'm not a fan, but it was great!

Before that I watched the "Twisted Sister" one on Amazon Prime. Enlightening. Quite the journey.

the "Amy Winehouse" on Netflix had a lot of crappy home video, but is worth the sad tale.

I started watching the "Van Halen" one on Amazon Prime, but there are too many tertiary characters, so I never finished it.

19. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Meister

They have the same five or six guys in every video. Though I give credit to the British critic who referred to Eric Clapton's "boring Hawaiian shirt music" of the mid-'70s. Perfect turn of the phrase, and absolutely spot-on.

Uncle Bob and Ash Telecaster like this.
  20. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Festival Express hasn't been mentioned; and it's a really fun watch. The best parts may well be the scenes on the train - like a super-drunk Rick Danko leading Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, and Janis Joplin through some old gospel song:eek:

Rowdyman, Texicaster, pi and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.