Musician Buddies Always Needing to Borrow Gear

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
Just did. Think somebody mentioned this before. Sucks.
Try contacting him lately?
Yeah…monthly but i get nothing…..im assuming he has some real personal problems…..with covid killing his business he may have sold it…..i have no idea….ive offered to pay shipping…

graybeard65

Tele-Meister
If it was a bandmate and they had an off day and forgot something, I'd loan whatever was needed to get through the gig...we all want to get paid at the end of the show. We're gonna spend the night on the same stage...and we have history. Anyone else is SOL, I don't loan gear, under any circumstances.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Never, never, never again. ONCE as a teen I loaned my Kramer 650 Artist (ultra-lacquered) solidbody to a hotshot who begged for it like a little kid in front of a gumball machine. I gave in. Came back with a ding on the top. He was "sorry," he said.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
There are two people I will loan gear to.
One lives in my house.
The other has been my best friend for over two decades.

I have allowed somebody in my band to play/use a piece of gear during a gig, while I’m on stage—due to catastrophic failure of their gear or if it fits the song better than their gear.

Most recently, the (new) co-guitarist in my band used my Telecaster for a couple of songs because it sounded better than his Strat (for those two tunes)…I also loaned him my spare MXR Micro Amp (using it as a boost) because he could only turn on another dirt box when he needed more volume in the middle of a song (solos, etc)…he knew it was for the gig only and only during the gig itself. He immediately returned both pieces of gear…and he loved them so much he bought his own Telecaster and ordered a Micro Amp the next week.

Never, ever, ever loan a harmonica to somebody. That’s not like wearing their dirty underwear—that’s like licking their dirty underwear. 🤢
I don’t even like using somebody else’s mic unless I run a disinfectant wipie over it.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a friend who's always needing to borrow gear. We don't play in the same band so I guess you could say I don't have a dog in the race he's in. I like to help folks out but, Sweetwater is open 7 days a week.

He's got enough guitars and amps, he just lets them all sit around needing something to work properly, then gets down to his last shuck with nothing to sell.

Musician buddies, gotta love em.
Next time you see him, tell him, “Hey, my partner is not in the mood—can I borrow yours?”

red57strat

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have a friend who's always needing to borrow gear. We don't play in the same band so I guess you could say I don't have a dog in the race he's in. I like to help folks out but, Sweetwater is open 7 days a week.

He's got enough guitars and amps, he just lets them all sit around needing something to work properly, then gets down to his last shuck with nothing to sell.

Sounds like he's not really good at taking care of his stuff. I certainly wouldn't let him borrow mine.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity

No big deal. It's only a bunch of wood and wire. Just make sure he helps you next time you have to paint the livingroom or need a ride to the airport.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
No big deal. It's only a bunch of wood and wire.
I guess I’m weird.

I don’t see certain material items that way…musical instruments chief amongst them.

In my mind, most guitars and amps and basses and fiddles/violins and horns and pianos (and other instruments) have “personality”, sometimes imbued by the user and sometimes imbued by the maker/creator.

When I find an instrument whose personality gels with me (in terms of sonically and playability), I have a hard time letting it go…especially to a person who doesn’t take care of their own stuff.

telequacktastic

Tele-Afflicted
No big deal. It's only a bunch of wood and wire. Just make sure he helps you next time you have to paint the livingroom or need a ride to the airport.
Right, that's exactly how it works in the real world. If he's too lazy to keep a working backup electric guitar I'd be surprised if he showed up to help me when I need him.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
I guess I’m weird.

I don’t see certain material items that way…musical instruments chief amongst them.

In my mind, most guitars and amps and basses and fiddles/violins and horns and pianos (and other instruments) have “personality”, sometimes imbued by the user and sometimes imbued by the maker/creator.

When I find an instrument whose personality gels with me (in terms of sonically and playability), I have a hard time letting it go…especially to a person who doesn’t take care of their own stuff.
Of course you're weird. You're a musician. Just thought I'd try throwing some cold water on you, see if that would help.

A friend of mine, Kevin, was service manager at a VW dealership back in the seventies. Sometimes when he told a customer a bug couldn't be fixed, the customer started crying.

Whenever that happened, he'd take the customer out to the car, put his hand on the roof, and say, "Put your hand up here."

The sobbing customer's hand would go to the roof. Then Kevin would say, "What do you feel?"

"Metal?"

"That's right," he'd say. "Metal. This car is metal and rubber and glass, and you need a new one."

The tears would stop instantly, and he'd send them over to the sales department.

But if you still think your beloved axe has a personality, look at the bright side. When you get it back from your friend covered with new bashes and barf stains, it'll have more personality than ever — a win-win-win-win-win.

Or you could do what I do: Don't lend your gear out at all!

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
I'd tell him The Truth, that he's a funky leach and if he asks me for anything he's
gonna get a facefull of tuners.
I knew someone like the guy you're talking
about he don't come around anymore as
he got the message from everyone.
Scumbag.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
I used to gig with everything i needed, plus spares of certain key items. Always spare cables, batteries, strings, fuses, patch leads, plectrums etc. almost always used to get requests like ‘oh can I just borrow your tuner’ or ‘I haven’t got a lead, can I….’

No, no, NO. Bring your own stuff, use your own stuff, be self-sufficient.

And no, I don’t loan gear out either. As others have said ‘only loan out stuff you’re happy to lose’. And I ain’t happy to lose anything of mine…

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
I had this, but the other way around. I’d played a party, and a friend of a friend said “hey, come out to the car, I’ve got something to show you.” It was fairly new, pristine Martin D-28. He told me to try it out, as he only collected guitars, but couldn’t play… he then said he wanted me t take it home and use it until the next time he came to visit. Man, I was tickled pink! Then I started thinking about how none of my guitars look anywhere near as nice, and my proclivity to bump into things while I have a guitar on… I played one last G-run, put the Martin back in its case, thanked the guy, and refused.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
I had this, but the other way around. I’d played a party, and a friend of a friend said “hey, come out to the car, I’ve got something to show you.” It was fairly new, pristine Martin D-28. He told me to try it out, as he only collected guitars, but couldn’t play… he then said he wanted me t take it home and use it until the next time he came to visit. Man, I was tickled pink! Then I started thinking about how none of my guitars look anywhere near as nice, and my proclivity to bump into things while I have a guitar on… I played one last G-run, put the Martin back in its case, thanked the guy, and refused.
Yeah, that's why I don't borrow gear. You break it, you buy it.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I guess I’m weird.

Agreed. Whether I'm playing at home (most all the time) or out with someone else I like the fact that I can pick up any of my guitars and 90% of amps and go with them. The reason for this is that when strings are buzzing or dead/unwinding, switches popping etc I take care of it pretty quick just so I don't have to deal with annoying gear. If you keep after your gear it should take care of you.

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
I don't lend gear or tools any longer. Back in the day when I was idealistic and naive, I got burned EVERY TIME!

Never again.