Musician Buddies Always Needing to Borrow Gear

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I don’t think I know anyone that irresponsible these days. A friend lent me his P Bass for about 10 years!

It was hard to give it back. But I didn’t wreck it.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
The people I play with already have gear. They don’t need mine. They are all quality people, so if they needed to borrow something, I’d gladly lend it. But as I said, they’re quality folks, so they wouldn’t ask - they’d take care of their own problem.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I do not loan instruments. Ever. I might let someone else play my guitar or bass for a few songs if I’m hosting a jam and they’re sitting in. But that’s as far as it goes.

I have been known to occasionally loan an amp in an emergency. But it has to be someone I really know and trust. I also have to be reasonably confident that they’re in financial situation to replace or repair it if anything goes wrong.

I was recently asked by someone who I genuinely like, but who has copious personal issues if he could borrow my PA rig. That was a hard “no”.

When I host jams everyone who shows up plays through my rig. The host band backlines the stage. That’s just part of the deal. It also makes things TONS easier when you don’t have twenty guitar players all trying to use their own amps. There’s no good place to put them, and it makes changeovers take 2-3 times as long.

But, we make sure everyone is respectful. Anyone who isn’t is asked not to come back. And it all comes home with us at the end of the gig.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I loan gear the same way I loan money..... I never expect to see it again.

needless to say, I don't loan much

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I have a friend who's always needing to borrow gear. We don't play in the same band so I guess you could say I don't have a dog in the race he's in. I like to help folks out but, Sweetwater is open 7 days a week.

He's got enough guitars and amps, he just lets them all sit around needing something to work properly, then gets down to his last shuck with nothing to sell.

Musician buddies, gotta love em.
I might lend them a Sqier a Samick or a Crate. But that's about it. The good stuff's for me.

kuch

Friend of Leo's
there are a few people here that I would feel comfortable lending gear to, but they've never asked. I have loaned guitars and stuff to my son and grandson, but that's family

Dismalhead

Doctor of Teleocity
I've got maybe three our four close friends I lend to and borrow from but that's about it. We've all got decent equipment of our own though, so we're only passing around unused pedals, cheap guitars, or my friend's old busted up E-drumset. I don't think anyone's ever lent something that had any significant value or meaning.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
Only thing I've ever loaned/gave away is a set of strings. I definitely made him buy me a beer.

This was at the old Trade Winds in Cotati, CA, which is where Steve Kimock used to play. We opened for Spindrift.

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
I play w/ two guys who show up w/ a lick and a prayer equipment. Bad cables, old strings, weird pawn shop pedals, buzzing,… one of them has a custom shop fender amp he bought used, pristine when he got it, it’s missing half the knobs(???) and only one channel seems to work now.

I try to keep a low profile but they know I’m the fix it guy,..

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
I play w/ two guys who show up w/ a lick and a prayer equipment. Bad cables, old strings, weird pawn shop pedals, buzzing,… one of them has a custom shop fender amp he bought used, pristine when he got it, it’s missing half the knobs(???) and only one channel seems to work now.

I try to keep a low profile but they know I’m the fix it guy,..

How does an amp come down to only having half the knobs?? WTF happened to them? Why would you take even just one off? That is quite a mystery. Did you lose them? Are they really THAT insufficiently fastened? Did you get them confused with marbles, last time you played? Wifey needed them to properly apply nail polish? WTF? happened to those knobs? LOL!!!

:lol:

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I used to play in a duo with a guy who always broke a string and never had any. I finally had to tell him to get his own bc I was tired of breaking my extra sets (at the time I was playing a 12 string and he a 6). Guess what? He did finally get his own.

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
How does an amp come down to only having half the knobs?? WTF happened to them? Why would you take even just one off? That is quite a mystery. Did you lose them? Are they really THAT insufficiently fastened? Did you get them confused with marbles, last time you played? Wifey needed them to properly apply nail polish? WTF? happened to those knobs? LOL!!!

:lol:
That’s what I’m saying! Makes no sense. Both happen to be hard working, talented musicians. Just damn casual about the gear.

AmpHandle

Tele-Meister
Lending is to very close friends only. I learned at 18 when I loaned out my van to my boss at the time. It came back completely dirty and an empty gas tank.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Let a guy borrow $10 for gas once. Saw him about 2 years later and he asked if he could borrow $10 for gas. I said sure, I would let him borrow the 10 that he owed me and now he owed me 20. He seemed rather confused.

Last edited: