1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Musical inspiration......

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Apr 13, 2021.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The biggest thing that drives me toward playing better and singing better and learning music theory is going out and seeing musicians who are very enthusiastic or who are better than me.

It’s been difficult to do that in the last eight months and I really really really miss live music.

The last thing that I want to do is check off the moderators because I think this place is so great but as of today I’ve had two shots, I’m not gonna say shots of what.

Two weeks from today I’ll be unchained, I’ll be able to go out and do whatever I want to do. I believe this. I believe in science.

I kind of feel like my get up and go has got up and went with enthusiasm about learning new songs and playing new songs and singing. It’s like the community has vanished.

Does anyone else feel this way, do you feel like you’ve been deprived of social music?

I can’t tell you how badly I would love to go to a coffee shop or a wine bar and just hear somebody beat up an acoustic guitar and sing, I would I would love to go just hear a live band.

This last weekend I went to a local club and heard my old band and they sounded pretty darn good and my third replacement was a very good guitar player and singer. Just seeing the lights and hearing the PA and watching the lead singer girl dance around and shouted people and it was great. I sure do miss it.

Hearing great live music inspires me to play music, I do miss it very much.

Thoughts? Can anyone relate?

Alamo likes this.
  2. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

yeah. even when i had to move back to my parents' for a bit, i was far away enough from the city, like a 45 minute drive, that i wasn't seeing music all the time for a few years (before that i was going to shows 3 times a week and playing 2-4 times a month). definitely resulted in a marked decrease on my sitting down and making stuff.

i think people usually play it up like a "friendly competition" thing in scenes, but i'm not even sure it's that. whenever i go see people in the scene play who i enjoy, it's like i'm having two chains of thought in my head simultaneously - one is actively listening to the music, one is thinking about what they're doing and how i can adapt a similar idea into my playing.

mexicanyella likes this.
  3. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Being part of a 'scene' (an infrequent but wonderful experience) with a number of other bands playing the same places and to the same audience (more or less) has always brought out the best in me. It is (or can be) a friendly competition, trying to outdo each other, playing gigs with each other and walking off the stage saying "top that, brother!" Better songs, better playing, better shows to see. It's a win for everyone, especially the audience.

None of that happens when you haven't left your room in a year.

buster poser likes this.
  4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Making music with other people is the BEST. It's like being part of a magic circle. Even if there were no audience, it would still be magic.

Creating music in an unrepeatable moment, together, is one of the greatest joys a human being can have.

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

When the thing that would lead to me getting some shots a year later happened, I was playing bass with a guitarist and drummer, doing original hard rock, almost exclusively in the basement. It was a way to get out of the house once a week and go make a racket and joke around with the guys. We played a couple of benefits on multi-band bills but it was definitely more about the hang and a chance to blow* than being good.

*Both in the making noise sense and in the “Man, those guys blew!” sense.

But it was a lot of fun and a worthwhile creative outlet; all three of us were getting better and reacting to one another’s input. A healthy creative process was going on, which seemed more important to me than producing a product that would be my go-to for casual listening entertainment.

But as @loopfinding said: “it's like i'm having two chains of thought in my head simultaneously - one is actively listening to the music, one is thinking about what they're doing and how i can adapt a similar idea into my playing.”

I totally relate to that. I hear music that has some component that cranks me up and I want to figure out what was going on, assimilate it and put it to work somehow in what I do. It doesn’t have to be a live experience for me—a lot of times it’s something I hear on the local community radio station, or college jazz/blues/r & b station—but it’s sure easier to keep that enthusiasm when you have an outlet or context to try your ideas out in.

I’ve been trying to write and record ideas since the band has halted, and it’s been fun, but after more than a year I would sure like to crank up and jam with people soon, with or without gigs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.