Music to which your parents exposed you, that actually turned out to be good

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Mr Perch, Jul 20, 2021.

1. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Friend of Leo's

From Dad - Kingston Trio, Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Don Williams, Glen Campbell, Merle Haggard, George Jones, and a whole lot more of great country music.
    From Mom - The Mamas and the Papas, Simon and Garfunkel, and she(along with my Dad) bought me my first record for Christmas, 1966 (that was by MY request for just "a Beatles album") - Beatles VI.

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

My dad was into Johnny Mathis and Sinatra and stuff like that, which I had absolutely no respect for up until I was in my 40s. My mom was into some cool stuff from the '60s - I remember her having an 8-track of CCR. She was also into The Beatles and had the blue and red greatest hits albums, so that's where I got my Beatles education. Also got a huge earful of Barry Manilow (no thanks). I'll bet I know about 9 albums from front to back. He writes the songs that make the whole world sing you know.

3. StratDal

StratDal Tele-Afflicted

Wagner. I now enjoy all things opera.

Chester P Squier likes this.
  4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

"H-A-Double R-I, G-A-N spells Harrigan," courtesy Sing Along with Mitch. My parents generally didn't listen to a lot of music. When we finally got a home stereo, somehow included in the deal was a multiple disk set of American music. Folk with Burl Ives, military marches, broadway songs, etc. For me, this was my musical foundation. Looking back, I see how important that record set was to my career. Even now, when I'm playing blues solos, I'm aware that other music in my head feeds into my playing. Not complete songs, but rather certain phrases come streaming into my conscious while playing.

Chester P Squier and dlew919 like this.
  5. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

That's triggered some kind of flashback in my head, I'm off for a lie-down...:rolleyes:

6. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

My dad was the music enthusiast in my family. My earliest memory of my dad and music was him cranking up an old Victrola to play some jazz 78s for me. He instilled a love of jazz - New Orleans, Big Band, crooners, etc. -- in me. Later (1969), while taking some classes at a local junior college, he checked out some records from the school library. He brought home Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and I was lost to the music from then on.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  7. JM99

JM99 TDPRI Member

None

8. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 TDPRI Member

Dave Brubeck “Take 5”.
    My dad rarely listened to music at home despite having a nice Fisher tube amp and Garrard turntable.
    After he passed I found about 300 jazz records from the 50’s and early 60’s that I never knew he had. I think he “One-passed” them to reel to reel and put the records away.
    Thanks Dad!

Harry Styron likes this.
  9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Alpert, Getz, Blood Sweat and Tears, the Hair soundtrack... probably more... Oh yeah, Glen Campbell...

That was all my mom. But then she also liked Tom Jones... does that undo the other stuff?

My dad was listening to Italian opera (as parody, I think), and playing "On Top Of Old Meatball" on the spinet. Which is odd, because HIS dad was an upcoming bandleader back in the 30s.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021 at 4:04 AM
    brookdalebill and dlew919 like this.
  10. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

My folks didn’t have a lot of records but the ones I remember listening to over and over was Dad’s Gunfighter Ballads from Marty Robbins and Mom’s Ventures albums.

Marty had one of the best voices ever and maybe the Ventures helped me appreciate the role of the guitar in a song. I still try to play the melody or something reflecting it during a lead.

Timbresmith1 and brookdalebill like this.
  11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My folks listened to....well, I really don't know what to call it. They liked KRVR in Davenport, IA which played "beautiful music" as the station counted it. Their programming included Perry Como, Frank Sinatra, all the entertainers of the WW2 era. They also loved Lawrence Welk. What I took away from all that was an affection for big band jazz. Still love to hear the Dorsey Boys and Glen Miller.

12. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Boston, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, Journey, Styx, ELO, Elton John.

Also super cheesy late 80s and early 90s pop like Jon Secada and prime Mariah Carey which I have a soft spot in my heart for.

13. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Everything from the big band stuff i.e. Glenn Miller to 50's and 60's pop rock and 70's
    Dad played accordion and mom was a guitar player, brother- sax grew up with music and musicians around me

14. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

My dad was pretty square, to me at least, and my mom had no real interest in music, but my dad did have some records and even owned an appliance store that sold records for awhile. Most of his records were of no interest to me, but he had CCR's Chronicle, Rolling Stones Hot Rocks and the Best of the Doors. I listened to those records a ton, especially CCR. We also listened to oldies radio while driving in the car and he'd point out certain songs or artists that brought him back - Buddy Holly, Crimson and Clover, Jim Croce, etc.

15. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I just did a search too. I doubt it was every on vinyl as it was recorded in the early 90s, the dead era for vinyl. Check out Atlantic's Soul Christmas, the Phil Spector Christmas Album, John Fahey's Christmas records, Sharon Jones' Christmas record, Bob Dylan's Christmas Record. My wife likes Christmas music and I generally don't, so made it a point to find stuff I can tolerate...and stuff on vinyl! I wish I'd bought the Dylan record when it came out as it's out of print on vinyl and expensive.

jays0n likes this.
  16. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

My parents were born in 1951, and were ensconced in what we call "southern gospel". Basically it's male quartets. They played country radio, and we watched Hee Haw, every Saturday night. We also made a couple of trips to Opry Land, and the Appalachian State Fair to see music. My extended family, on my fathers side all loved to sing, and play. Always gospel music or country music from the 50's. My aunts, and my grandmother could play the piano, guitar, bass, and someone would usually drag out an auto harp. The best thing my parents provided was piano lessons at a young age. They supported whatever music I was interested in playing, and made sure I practiced daily. When I switched to guitar, they purchased my first electric. That was a big deal, since they were not wealthy.

Chester P Squier likes this.
  17. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

For folk/pop/rock:

Beatles
    Dylan
    Simon and Garfunkel

Lots of Classical.

Otherwise almost all sappy 70s stuff that I’m happy to forget.

18. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Nope.

Pax/
    Dean

19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

My first memories of my folks were of better days when I was very young, my mom and dad were dancing to a Fats Domino album.

My dad listened to Bob Wills and later became an avid Merle Haggard fan. My brother and I played Beatles albums and my mom and dad were dancing to the song "Why Don't We Do It In tHe Road?" My brother and I were rolling on the floor laughing because my folks didn't understand the lyrics. My dad heard us play Hey Jude and he loved that song.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  20. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Mum listened to a lot of Motown and from dad got Lonnie Donnegan and Jim Reeves.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.