Music to which your parents exposed you, that actually turned out to be good

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Mr Perch, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Jimi Some Moore

Jimi Some Moore TDPRI Member

My Mum & Dad played Sinatra quite a lot on my Dad’s reel to reel ! Also remember having the Beatles Help album played on the Dansette record player. Later they played the Carpenters. My older Sister played Motown, & Earth Wind & Fire etc. All this I think sinks into the sub conscious and gets into your guitar playing

2. IceGator8

IceGator8 TDPRI Member

Glen Miller Orchestra, Various classical, The Osmonds (just go listen to the Crazy Horses album. You’ll be shocked ) and Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Yes my parents are older than your parents and long since dead. ;)

3. santi lo monaco

santi lo monaco TDPRI Member

When I was a teen could not stand my father goin' nuts for Duke Ellington and Frank Sinatra...a few years later I understood, oh I sure did understand why he did went all over the places listening to the Duke or Frank!
    Now I'm 57 and have every single recorded note by the Duke and most of the stuff Frank recorded.
    (Sure I also keep always close my Led Zeppelin, King Crimson and Pink Floyd).

4. GAS Giant

GAS Giant Tele-Meister

My parents were not big collectors, so the record collection was probably well under 100 albums. Mom was the musician, but didn't buy much music, rather she listened to a lot of 19th c. piano on the radio - that was not to my taste, most still is not (Ravel compositions are a fave, however).
    So...a lot of Barbara Streisand, Pavarotti, Judy Collins, and even a Kansas record. The ones that were impactful:
    1. Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack - kinda freaked me out...remember that looking at the liner notes and cover were also a big part of the experience
    2. Gordon Lighfoot - Sundown, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, If I Could Read Your Mind...man, seriously good tunes
    3. 1812 Overture - would freak out and dance on the carpet in front of adults doubled over with laughter
    4. Deliverance Soundtrack - Dueling Banjos - see #3, I went into a whirling dervish trance with this one
    5. Leo Kottke

For some reason, there were no Beatles records in the house, which is just bizarre. No jazz at all until my dad "discovered" Spyro Gyra, David Sanborn...can social services intervene when there is no bebop in the home?

guitdog1 likes this.
  5. wstrnswingster

wstrnswingster TDPRI Member

From my Grandmother, Mr. Sinatra. She was a real bobbysoxer, 100% Italian, married in '39 but loved Frank. My grandfather was a carpenter at Harvard so there were speaker boxes all over the house. She'd stack up records, remember that?!, and one by one they'd drop. Frank and Basie, Frank with Nelson and Don Costa, jumping Billy May arrangements.
    On her wall hung a cross, below that a pic of the Pope, then the Cardinal of Boston, then a pic of her Bro. Eddie, he played with the Red Sox '41-'48, Taken in '46 in the dugout with Ted Williams, 28 y.o. JFK, and Hank Greenberg of the Tigers. Then a pic of Sinatra, not an old one, a souvenir she got at one of his shows. When she passed, mom asked if I wanted anything. I asked for the pic of Frank, one of my uncles got the Red Sox pic! She told me she couldn't find it! Major Bummer! But read on...

From my Mom, Elvis. She was 15 in '56, I was 8 in '68, so the TV special and all the great comeback LP's. The double LP, "From Memphis to Vegas", "Live at the International Hotel" and "That's The Way It Is", are still in my collection and my iTunes list. Got my first guitar hero too, James Burton, though I don't think I knew his name for years. It was Elvis's name on those records not the band! IMO Elvis was at his peak '68-'72. And keeping a R&R big band too! I could start a war between that guy and the Sun rock-a-billy, but I love both.
    Mom had a collection of Elvis memorabilia. She gave me the pile about 10 years ago. One picture frame held a relatively recent, maybe 90's, "Collectors Series" TV Guide cover. Taken from the TV Special with the black leather suit! It was a nice frame, I thought it deserved a real photo. I pulled the TV Guide cover and Holy Crap!! What was under it? My Grandmother's Sinatra picture!

Been hanging on my wall ever since and always will!

Irenes FS pic.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  6. brashboy

brashboy Tele-Meister

My Dad wasn't into music. He ordered his cars/trucks with no radio until in the 60s, when they became standard equipment. He did like Gospel music, though, and would listen to country music.

My Mom listened to things like Floyd Cramer and Chet Atkins. She was more of an Englebert Humperdinck and Patty Page kinda gal. Also Gospel.

They were not into the Beatles at all, whom Dad dismissed as thugs from the wrong side of the tracks.

I liked the Gospel and other stuff just OK, but when I discovered the blues, that was it.

7. Gjguitarmn

Gjguitarmn TDPRI Member

Jimmy Rogers bluegrass, prime country, and gospel. Myself, I'm a first generation rocker, but I've come to appreciate the music of my parents.

8. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

My Dad liked Johnny Rivers, Marty Robbins, and the Mills Brothers. My sisters liked the Supremes and the Beach Boys.

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. Canadian_Fender

Canadian_Fender TDPRI Member

Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Everly Brothers.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Dad was a Country fan. I hated Country. I could listen to Roy Clark and Chet Atkins.

Mom liked Motown R&B and AM Radio Gold. I enjoyed all of it.

My 3 older brothers were into 50's and 60's Rock which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I grew up in the late 60's to early 80's and liked all the Rock and early MTV of the era.
    90's Rock was a bit of hit and miss for me and I immersed myself into Blues.

11. HootOwlDude

HootOwlDude TDPRI Member

Any country up through the mid 80s— it was always on in the kitchen via a Fredericksburg, VA station, WFLS. Everything from Lefty Frizzel to Conway. My mother also bought my older brother a Dr. and the Medicine Show cassette, the album Sloppy Seconds, which was one of the cassettes I literally played the damn wheels out of. I still love that album and that band to this day. Getting into their aesthetic lead me to many other bands.

12. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

My mom and dad both love Paul Simon. Beyond him, I didn't get much from mom, who never strayed much from soft rock.
    Dad on the other hand introduced me to Bob Dylan and Miles Davis.

13. 5haun

5haun TDPRI Member

My Dad wasn't musical but Mum had a portable record player and listened to Brenda Lee and Roy Orbison.

14. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My father took my brother and me to a Dave Brubeck concert at the Academy of Music and that got me hooked into a whole other track. He also had quite a collection of Charlie Byrd records that impacted my interest in jazz and what was beginning to occur as “jazz fusion.” My Dad did a lot to influence me as a youngster into some interesting areas. I’m eternally grateful.

15. buzzword

buzzword TDPRI Member

My mother used to walk around the house singing "How much is that doggie in the window?", but my father was into Johnny Cash, Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass (bought every album as they came out and played them LOUD :), both parents liked the Beatles, and we listened to FM radio when it was still counterculture in the 60's. My uncle turned me on to Santana.

16. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Holic

I was raised on The Doors, Abby Road, and Four Way Street. The third one really stuck when I started to play acoustic.

17. Talltelefsn

Talltelefsn TDPRI Member

Radio in the 50’s wasn’t as diverse. A so called popular music station would play every genre. Big band, jazz, plus country/western. But I don’t remember it being called C&W. Pre Chuck Berry, Elvis, and Little Richard. Crooners (Sinatra, Perry Como et al), C&W ( Hank Williams, Patsy Cline and Les Paul and Mary Ford. Lots of theme music like Peter Gunn, Route 66. And the great groups like the Platters

18. wbmeyerson

wbmeyerson TDPRI Member

My mother’s favs: Harry James, Ella Fitzgerald, Mills Brothers. Great!

19. Willie D

Willie D Friend of Leo's

Dad: Dylan, Muddy Waters, BB King, Jimmy Reed, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, The Rolling Stones, Jimmie Rogers, Willie Nelson, CCR, Fats Domino, Kris Kristofferson, Linda Ronstadt, Merle Haggard...
    Mom: The Shirells, Nat King Cole, lots of 50s and 60s compilations...

20. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

From my Mom, traditional country and Paul Anka and Neil Sedaka for the pop side. From my Dad big band music all the way, especially Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman. Once I heard the Benny Goodman Sextet with Charlie Christian my guitar journey was set.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.