Music to which your parents exposed you, that actually turned out to be good

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Mr Perch, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

My parents listened to some godawful crap, but there were exceptions: Getz/Gilberto, Tequila by Wes Montgomery, and Boogie Chillun by John Lee Hooker.

2. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

As a child in the 60s, The Beatles, The Stones, The Yardbirds, various old bluesmen and 60s psychedelia.

Also a lot of the same/similar from one particular friends' father too.

Other 'grown-ups' of my acquaintance at the time seemed to listen to music from another era/planet. :twisted:

3. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Traditional country, big band. Other than that it was pretty much a load of sugary crap.

4. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hank Williams, Chet Atkins, Jim Reeves, Eddy Arnold, Hank Snow , Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman,

5. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth Tele-Meister

Joe Pass, over the tannoy, Butlins holiday camp, Skegness, around 64’

bluesguy62, Edgebound, jays0n and 2 others like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was a lucky kid.
    My Dad was a great violinist, and my Mom loved musicals.
    Our house was full of music.
    Dad played albums, and sometimes 78’s of virtuoso violinists like Fritz Kreisler, Jascha Heifetz, Nathan Milstein and later, Itzhak Perlman.
    Mom played My Fair Lady, Brigadoon, Carousel, and Oklahoma.
    They got my sisters Tricia and Margaret a piano, I got a guitar.
    We got lessons, love and encouragement.
    My folks, and the Beatles set the course of my life.
    I am eternally grateful to them.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Ronzo, Jowes_84, codamedia and 27 others like this.
  7. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Bob Wills, Toscanini, Big Band, Hoosier Hotshots, Johnny Cash, Herb Alpert, Martin frickkin Denny, Pete Fountain, Eddie Peabody.

8. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Parents were folkies but when folkies turned to hippies, the old man pretty much went country and mom went out the door.

For me it wasn't so much what the music was, but the fact that they both placed such importance on music. I was allowed to explore and encouraged to like what I liked by my mom. The old man just rolled his eyes and told me to turn it down ;-)

Johnny Cash, Eddie Arnold, Blood Sweat &Tears Herb Alpert, Brazil 66, musicals, Barbara Streisand, and my mom encouraged me to listen to more progressive stuff. I got Beggars Banquet for Christmas in '68, she turned me on to Led Zeppelin, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Bill Withers, all Motown and soul. She had the Woodstock record and that was the one that really opened my eyes.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  9. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Nat King Cole Trio, Glenn Miller Orchestra, Billie Holiday, Eydie Gorme y Trio Los Panchos.

Lots of ‘50s country music because my dad listened to the horse racing results on a country radio station.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Dad was an AWOL drunk and Mom was a pulled together party girl semi hippy.
    So pretty basic 1960’s music including some better folk and stuff like Ewan MacColl or Folkways records library of Congress stuff.

No shooby dooby, no dance music no classical.
    No surf either, which is fine with me.

Sadly she didn’t like the music I played on guitar, and really didn’t get that I even WAS a musician until I learned someChristmas music on trumpet.
    Later I also played violin and did some sort of gypsy Jazz stuff she liked.

Not a requirement but it’s better if your parents at least sorta get you than not at all.

11. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

We didn't have a lot of music going on in our household, but my dad would play Sinatra on the weekends, and my mom had If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears by the Mamas and the Papas, and both artists are still favorites of mine.

Mostly my mom played FM 100, The Chicago "Beautiful Music" station, so I got lots of what was essentially Muzak... Instrumental renditions of the American Popular Songbook and contemporary pop.

Weirdly, when in the car we listened to the current Rock n Roll releases on WMET or the Loop... I think that was mostly my dad's doing, but it doesn't jibe with anything else I was ever exposed to as a kid. So, weird!

12. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nearly all of their stuff was / is good.

All of Stax, Motown, Sun city. Early Sabbath, Santana, Miles Davis.

Cream, stones, yardbirds, howling wolf, muddy waters, Booker t and the mgs.

My parents were cool - but as a teen I didn't realize it.

Nate

guitdog1, boppy100, Gary135r and 5 others like this.
  13. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Holic

Sinatra, big band music, Bacharach/David.

I had 4 older sisters, so at one point in my early childhood, my mom and dad were listening to Dean Martin and Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, my oldest sister was listening to Glen Campbell, and my other sisters were listening to the Monkees. It took me years before I realized the same group of musicians were playing on all of those records.

14. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

tons of great stuff but i have a great appreciation for the 70-80's adult contemporary

adult contemp doest seem a genre anymore .

one hilarious thing you see old people parading teenie booper stuff lol

what happened?!

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

My father listened to Tommy Dorsey, Mantovani, Tony Bennet, Glen Campbell, Frank Sinatra and more. He had pretty broad tastes. He said he heard everything in the Marine Corps. He tolerated what I listened to and even liked The Beatles but drew the line at psychedelic. The music he listened to was actually very good quality even if it’s not my taste.

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

my mom--> harry james, robert goulet, andy williams, lennon sisters, keely smith
    my dad---> mario lanza, earl bostic, nutcracker and show tunes and opera, a giant 25 record thing with every folk song, kingston trio.

my grandparents---> one grandma was all classical, she was a piano teacher and a monster piano player. The rest of the grandparents and great grandparents loved hillbilly music and old country. My great grandpa used to play 78's of the Skillet Lickers and he would dance... he was an otherwise elegant man who was very calm and quiet, smoking his pipe... when the skillet lickers played... he cut up.

rod, Skydog1010, Greggorios and 5 others like this.
  17. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Got Mowtown, Chuck Berry and other influences from my Mom. Dad turned me on to Asleep at the Wheel, Commander Cody, Dire Straits.

Greggorios, natec and brookdalebill like this.
  18. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

My parents weren’t interested in music at all and the only thing I remember them buying was a Chieftains album, which had a big effect on me an introduced me to actual Irish music. My grandfather had a lot of Louis Armstrong and the willie Nelson standards album. Those stuck with me.

Other than that it was all up to me. My father basically dislikes it if people play music. He’s a great guy, 85 now, other than that

Greggorios likes this.
  19. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Glenn Miller

20. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

My parents had that Getz/Gilberto bossanova record, I loved it as a kid and still do.
    Their small collection (now mine!) also included Chet Baker, Bob Dylan's first record, and Miles Davis.
    They often left us with a babysitter so they could see a hot band at Baker's Keyboard Lounge in Detroit.

Old Plank, elihu and Bill B like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.