Music theory audio books?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thejackofhearts, Aug 3, 2021.

1. thejackofhearts

thejackofhearts TDPRI Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for any guitar music theory audio books?

After searching the site, I found a thread dating back to 2007, but I mean podcasts wasn't even a thing in 2007.

Thanks for any input.

2. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I've got an audiobook copy of Chronicles, Vol 1, which is of course not a guitar music theory book, but from the look of your avatar, name and location, it seems it could also be of interest to you.

Unlikely, I know, but I don't suppose you are the Jack of Hearts that once ran a Dylan boot Hotline server . . . .?

3. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

What's the reason you want audio books?

If it's so that you can learn while driving... I'd be surprised if many music theory book came in that format.

If it's because you're vision impaired, you could order e-books and have your computer read them to you.

4. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

I’m blind, so I can only enjoy books in audio format.

The extent to which music theory can be effectively taught without visual representation is arguable. But few would argue that it comes anywhere close to useful.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I hope someone proves me wrong.

loopfinding likes this.
  5. thejackofhearts

Yes, Chronicles Vol 1 is a great book. Its not music theory in the traditional sense, but anything coming from Bob is music theory. And no, not the same JOH from the server.

6. thejackofhearts

it wouldn't be my only method of learning, but thanks.

7. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Personally speaking I wouldn’t bother learning theory without some sort of notation or fretboard reference. It’s pretty hard to make sense of a lot of stuff without playing or writing it.

Larry F likes this.
  8. thejackofhearts

You are entitled to your opinion about "not bothering". However what I'm specifically asking is if anyone have any suggestions on any theory audio books...there's a number of titles on audible on the subject.

Leaning & teaching come in all forms. Its like college...you don't just get one book.

So, if anyone have any favorites, please share.

OldPup likes this.
  9. loopfinding

just saying it's about getting it under your fingers. i didn't have a practical/functional grasp of it until i put the work in on the instrument in my 20s...prior to that i was an AP theory student and couldn't blow over anything or arrange any chord melodies, despite the fact i could ace tests and remember rules...which, at least i had notation as a visual guide. just trying to save you some frustration. i think video lessons, sitting with guitar or piano, or diagrams would probably serve you better. if you are dead set on audiobooks, then maybe concentrate on material that focuses on ear training.

10. thejackofhearts

Hey man, let me be clear...I'm not dead set on audiobooks.

I'm simply asking if anyone have any suggestions on Audible. Why? Because there's a few titles available on the platform and was curious about giving one of them a go. So I thought why not ask the fine folks on this guitar forum? You never know, someone could suggest something very interesting.

That said, I'm not new to the instrument (at all) and have a bit of theory under my belt, but I'm always down to learn more.

But with all due respect, you're kinda forming a unrelated narrative outta thin air. Had I asked the question "What's the best way to learn music theory?" Then I get what you are suggesting. But that's not at all what I'm asking.

Its not that serious.

Peace.

Deebers and papa32203 like this.
  11. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Audible will exchange any title no questions asked. It never hurts to impulse buy with them.

12. loopfinding

well i mean "what's the best way to learn music theory" is kind of implicit in suggesting an audiobook though, in the same way you wouldn't go looking for say "a modern method for guitar" on audiobook either. but if you already have some and are not necessarily looking for lessons, and just want ideas to think about/play around with, then your best bet is probably just youtube/podcasts - adam neely, 12tone, tantacrul, strong songs, kent hewitt, open studio's you'll hear it, are the first ones that come to mind for longer theoretical discussions of stuff.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  13. AlfaNovember

AlfaNovember TDPRI Member

Not an audiobook, but perhaps try the Strong Songs podcast, which breaks down the theory and craft behind well-known pop songs:

https://strongsongspodcast.com

It's not pure "this is how the theory works", but as a campfire strummer, it's helping me learn the vocabulary and how the theory is put into practice, both in simple "one four five" and in more complicated compositions. Today I listened to the episode about the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows":

https://strongsongspodcast.com/episode/god-only-knows-by-the-beach-boys

OldPup and thejackofhearts like this.
  14. thejackofhearts

This looks really cool. I'm surprised I've never stumbled across this one before but everyone and their mother are doing podcasts these days. The subjects look really intriguing. Thanks for the recommendation!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.