Music suggestions: wedding reception (dinner +)

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
Any suggestions for background dinner music? Dance music?

Do you (or anyone involved) have a iPhone or similar? If so just subscribe to Amazon Music. They used to offer a free trial (90 days, 30 days, something like that). They have playlists on there for weddings, dinner music, etc. Just plug your phone (or connect via Bluetooth) to the PA or whatever. Seriously. I DJed a wedding once using this. And you can use their playlists as-is or customize, add, delete songs…in advance and on the fly as requests come in.

sean79

Poster Extraordinaire
Didn’t know Amazon Music has pre-built playlists. Thanks. My son has Spotify, but I didn’t know he could download - and then play without internet connectivity. That might help a lot. He’ll be in town tomorrow, and I will check it out.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
The problem with background music during dinner is that no matter what you pick, 20% will like it, 40% will find it tolerable, and 40% will be polite enough not to tell you their honest opinion of it. Understanding that, there’s only one think that’s important. It’s dinner. People don’t want to shout across the table. 100% will appreciate being able to have a normal dinner table conversation.

Maybe being 71 having been a guest at more weddings than I can remember influences my opinion. Good that you have a band for dancing. The latest lunacy where I live is a 120dB DJ spinning hip hop non stop at a bar mitzvah. I don’t wear my hearing aids. I wear ear plugs. Conversation? It’s too loud to talk to myself.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
Light jazz at a low volume always works. I do it all the time during the food period at home or at a function. It's the perfect mixer.

And then we go and get stupid.

The problem with background music during dinner is that no matter what you pick, 20% will like it, 40% will find it tolerable, and 40% will be polite enough not to tell you their honest opinion of it. Understanding that, there’s only one think that’s important. It’s dinner. People don’t want to shout across the table. 100% will appreciate being able to have a normal dinner table conversation.

Maybe being 71 having been a guest at more weddings than I can remember influences my opinion. Good that you have a band for dancing. The latest lunacy where I live is a 120dB DJ spinning hip hop non stop at a bar mitzvah. I don’t wear my hearing aids. I wear ear plugs. Conversation? It’s too loud to talk to myself.

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
My daughter got married over the summer. Since she insisted on a Wednesday ceremony, we knew we wouldn’t have many out of town guests to help celebrate, so we bumped her reception out to a Saturday in the fall (this Saturday).

We hired a band to play after dinner, but we want to use some recorded music before they start. We’re looking for suggestions for:

1. Background music during the meal
2. Music people can dance to

The dance music won’t have to be very long; they’ve picked a song for their first dance, but we’ll need another 40+ minutes worth of danceable music (I don’t really dance, so I don’t really know what’s danceable). We’re not talking black tie ballroom stuff - just some fun music for the people who might want to dance before the band starts.

The plan is to download and play it on an iPod through a PA system. We’ll also need music for the pre-dinner cocktail hour, but I should be okay there.

Any suggestions for background dinner music? Dance music?

I’m just glad I’m not waiting until the last minute for this.

Thanks.
First dance