Music suggestions: wedding reception (dinner +)

sean79

Poster Extraordinaire
My daughter got married over the summer. Since she insisted on a Wednesday ceremony, we knew we wouldn’t have many out of town guests to help celebrate, so we bumped her reception out to a Saturday in the fall (this Saturday).

We hired a band to play after dinner, but we want to use some recorded music before they start. We’re looking for suggestions for:

1. Background music during the meal
2. Music people can dance to

The dance music won’t have to be very long; they’ve picked a song for their first dance, but we’ll need another 40+ minutes worth of danceable music (I don’t really dance, so I don’t really know what’s danceable). We’re not talking black tie ballroom stuff - just some fun music for the people who might want to dance before the band starts.

The plan is to download and play it on an iPod through a PA system. We’ll also need music for the pre-dinner cocktail hour, but I should be okay there.

Any suggestions for background dinner music? Dance music?

I’m just glad I’m not waiting until the last minute for this.

Thanks.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
Thanks for all the replies so far. I should have mentioned that internet/cell service is pretty unreliable at the venue, so streaming won’t work for us.

Good point and smart not to rely on wi-fi. I did once when going to a cabin wedding reception and took two Sonos that ended up needing updating and would not let me use them until I updated them and it took two hours. Painfully boned experience.

Note: you can download from Spotify for when you won't have wi-fi. That said, having something solid in hand is the surefire way.

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
71Jedm5WJxL._SY355_.jpg
Just kidding

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
As I recall it, Mrs Deeve and I agreed to have a lot of cheatin' & drankin' blues at the reception - the band-leader was a bud who also gave me music lessons for a few years.
He also played (acoustic) ragtime music for pre-ceremony time and then Women Be Wise" as we left the altar and walked into the hall where the rest of the band was waiting, ready to play the agreed-upon set.
No Chicken Dance or Hokey-pokey, if I can recall.

30+ years later, the marriage has survived its share of weather.
I'd be pretty screwed w/o her and tell her as often as I can (at least every meal)
Peace - Deeve

Joshiquad

Tele-Meister
You’ve probably got this covered already, but I’d want to know the hired band’s song list is and stay away from songs that are on it.

Beyond that, maybe this?
C76C9156-B195-4C24-9C17-175FF313E102.jpeg

Martian

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
I was recently at a wedding where the first dance was to The Proclaimers “I Would walk 500 Miles”, done very slowly at first. Just the bride and groom dancing. It was beautiful. And then they broke into the regular tempo of the song and everyone came out onto the dance floor and went wild. It was great. I don’t know how a crowd of late-20 year olds knew that song but I was impressed at the sweetness and then the power and the joy. Just a thought.