1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Music store riff amnesia

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Gin Mill Cowboy, Mar 3, 2021.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Just don't let this happen:

But as Elon says, even this can be a valuable learning experience.

2. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

Great replies! I knew there were others out there. Yeah, truly I just strum some cords, check the intonation, pay the tech, and leave. Thanks for indulging me.

3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I am the same. Guys who work in music stores must think we are all a bunch of posers, when actually, in secret where no one can hear us, we are guitar ninja gods!

4. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm not a 'guitar shop' player either.
    I make a living with guitar in hand but honestly, music stores are - at least for me - the most uninspiring places to be musical.

Lance Morgan and getbent like this.
  5. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's happened to me too many times. For just such occasions, I carry a small song list in my wallet. :rolleyes:

Zoot Zoot likes this.
  6. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Just play Stairway; they'll thank you

P Thought and daddyplaysbass like this.
  7. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

It’s even weirder trying out basses in music stores. Even if you know the lines from many songs, only a relative few will be recognizable.

So I don’t even try. I just walk over a few keys and maybe it sounds OK. Mostly I’m hunting for dead spots.

Gin Mill Cowboy likes this.
  8. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

To make matters worse, I’m new and just plain out suck! I went to GC today to check out some PRS’s. At the same time, another guy was there wanting to check out amps. As the worker hands me the guitar, he tells the other guy, well you’re in luck! Dude plugs here in and franks it up and says there you go man! Have at it! I was slightly embarrassed!

pixeljammer likes this.
  9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I took my wife to the driving range one time. First time she’d ever tried to swing a golf club. About the third or fourth swing, she swung so hard she fell and landed right on her rear. Immediately she jumped up looking around to see if anyone saw her fall or were looking at her. They weren’t. Everyone else was so wrapped up in their own world that no one even noticed.

I think guitar stores can be the same way a lot of times.

10. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This Internet thing has proven that there is no "only me" stuff. It's crazy. You can't even have a unique anxiety or charming quirk any more, without twelve other weirdos yelling "Me, too!" :)

Me, too.

11. KennyWTelejazz

KennyWTelejazz Tele-Meister

"sarcasm alert "

I like to play a Blazing Fast Three Octave Cadenza as Rubato that features an assortment of 64 th chromatic notes that will resolve on an altered 7 th chord a half step up
    .....ONCE HAVING SET THE TONE , Only Then Will I break into Giant Steps ......

Kenny

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    SRHmusic and Blue Bill like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Ask me to play and I’ll just riff for a while unless you name a band I might know.

But in an actual music store I’m the most boring. I just check positions up the neck. Someone can play Smoke on the Water incorrectly.

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  13. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Usual things, a bit of eruption, then a bit of 8 fingers tapping licks and i usually finish with a 8 minutes solo inspired by dimebag, randy rhodes, and the likes. :lol:

If i have to test a guitar, i will play a E chord, let it ring, play a few other chords, octaves to check if the intonation is right... actually i won't play anything, i will just listen to the guitar.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

My "go to" guitar store riffs are the ever popular tune "Blooze Wank in G" followed the same in a couple of other keys.

willie ray and SRHmusic like this.
  15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I think play the intro to Free Ride by Edgar Winter
    then play the hook to Old Judge Jones by Les Dudek
    on acoustic, just play Doc's Deep River Blues

Just obscure enough and still so catchy that everyone will think you can get it done and you can figure out if you like the guitar...

just don't tip your hand by playing it and then looking around to see if anyone is checking it out.. that is a big ol fail.

when you go up to the counter, how you know you 'won' is if one of the kids says, 'hey we were racking our brains, what was that tune...'

oh yeah, don't do any of this like at Gruhn's... no matter what you can play, you can't play as well as probably anybody in there (except for ol George)

Esquire Jones likes this.
  16. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I like to start with Smoke on the Water, that gets lots of eye rolls. Then work my way through a medley of the 100 greatest iconic rock riffs ever, seqwayed into a Buckethead shreddy version of Bach's Toccata and Fugue, in D minor. When I'm done, the salespeople are usually standing on top of the sales counters, giving me a standing ovation, several attractive women are lined up for autographs. Take the guitar! they insist, no cost, you earned it! Yeah.

17. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

"No Stairway" ~ Wayne's World

(Having run a music store years ago I can reveal a trade secret. Music stores worked a deal with the CIA to produce an ultrasonic tone that causes social and performance anxieties. They broadcast it inside the stores. It makes customers so anxious they'll buy the guitar and not notice that it's overpriced and its quality sucks until they get home. Particularly useful for Gibson dealers.)

P Thought and richiek65 like this.
  18. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

I just noodle some fast things, and then play either pannonica or strange meadowlark. Something that works the fingers and something to see how chords feel/intonate. Just to get a feel for the neck. Also to see how more delicate things work out, I have no question that the guitar is going to be able to handle bashing out rock chords slathered in distortion if it can do that.

But I do it quickly, quietly and out of the way. I don’t have any confidence problems performing music for others, but music store is usually just this weird vibe where people are sizing each other up. And on top of that no one wants to be a show off.

19. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

I feel you brother!

20. kilroy6262

kilroy6262 TDPRI Member

My ability to play used to drop about 50% in a music store, so I'd always turn way down figuring that, "maybe they can still hear me, but at least I don't seem to be bragging". Several years of playing in a cover band and doing gigs got me past that - if I can play in of front of 40 drunks, I can play in a music store! I have always wondered about "that guy" though. You know that guy - he sits in the music store for 90 minutes playing, and he's really good, but sometimes I wonder, is he really gonna buy that guitar and/or amp, or does he just want somebody to hear him play?

ale.istotle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.