1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Music stands, Lyric sheets, rant

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by sluglas, Oct 27, 2020.

1. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Music stands are fine for rehearsal, coffee house gigs, session players that regularly have to sight read parts, or you're one of those psychos that plays in 3 or 4 bands at once and can't remember everything.

For a bar band playing covers? Rookie move. Ranks right up there with leaving your clip-on tuner on the headstock. Very un-rock and roll.

Learn the songs.

If you can't call up 30-40 songs from memory you need to practice more.

2. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I too get tired of the condescending tones when folks here state their displeasure for music stands on a stage.

Memorize every song. Awesome! Good for you. I wish I had the brain power left to do that. I'd be interested in learning about your work and personal life away from the stage. What relentless stress level you might be under with your personal or professional life? How much good solid sleep you get each night. Where you live. Your lifestyle. Your bills. Your mortgage. Your kids demands. Your responsibilities and obligations. Your spouse's demands. Your hobbies. What your relaxation time might look like. Your boss. Exercise level... On an on it goes. These factors and more can all effect how much energy and brain power your have left to try and memorize every line of every song that you play live. Are you in a cover band that is constantly cycling in new songs so the audience gets new entertainment?

Each person has their own situation. Respect that not everybody lives like you do. Not everyone has the brain capacity left at the end of every week to spend it memorizing lyrics. You know what I dislike? 1-man performers tied to loopers, drum machines and backing tracks. So I don't go see them. You don't like music stands on stage, you too can choose to not go watch them.

KATT, zeke54, MickM and 13 others like this.
  3. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Even top performers like Geddy Lee and John Mayer have had the small screen, scrolling prompter in front of them for years (two I recall just now). Some are down on the floor and some up by a keyboard, but this is very common in top acts from what I can see in videos. If a pro like Geddy that's sung their songs easily a few thousand times thinks it's a good idea, then I won't argue with him. :cool: But, yeah, I would hope a singer is not staring at a stand or iPad the whole time, and hopefully just uses it for the rare reminder of the first phrase in a verse or something. A lot of distracting things can happen on stage, from odd lighting changes, or something funny in the crowd, etc.

Ronzo likes this.
  4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

What if your wife the singer has TBI...

wanna shovel me some hate ..a rant..

who F ing cares...

MickM, Ronzo, SRHmusic and 1 other person like this.
  5. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

I was pretty good at remembering tunes....and yes then I got older and started to play a LOT of tunes....then I got concussed in a stupid accident...and couldn't remember more than half the stuff I was doing over a pretty short space of time....so used a stand from then til this day....and I couldn't give a toss. I've seen dozens of solos , duo's and bands who use stands and sheets and it doesn't bother me the slightest. I remember seeing Van Morrison ...no stands...no sheets...and he looked like he couldn't give two sods about the audience or entertaining them and looked like he wanted to be elsewhere....so anyone who has ten stands and sheets on stage but entertains til they drop is alright by me !

6. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I swear, the next time a non-singing bass player who plays 16 quarter notes in a row, then 8 quarter notes, followed by another 16, comments that the music stands need to go, will be beat over the head with his empty case.

7. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

My dog “memorized” a trick. She could not however, read the instructions to perform said trick. My dog might tell me that reading the trick isn’t very rock-n-roll.

Flat6Driver and xtelesquirex like this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Lookit these unprofessional hacks. Somebody straighten them out!

[​IMG]

If The Beatles, Cream, Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead had used music stands, this would not be an issue...but they were playing their own music.

I think there's a correlation between music stands and playing covers. That's what these overdressed goobers are doing in the pic above.

9. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

If I am just playing guitar, I can get by without charts. If I am singing and playing, I definitely require them. I most bands I have been in, I also arranged all the songs, create the set-list, set-up the PA, lights, sound check, made sure we got paid and everything else required so that we could have fun for four hours or so.

It is a choice to use charts and a stand and I will not judge someone for doing so. Use what you require to give the best performance you can. No different than iPads and iPhones attached to mic stands. More power to you.

I will not judge the guitar you play, the pedals you use, the amps...the list goes on. The bottom line to me is that you are up there on-stage and I am not. It is your gig.

Just my 2 cents.

10. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

And people say that it’s wrong to use a sequencer instead of a live musician...

One of the better parts of the MIDIband I ran with two partners in the late 80s and 90s in the NY Metro area was the ability to make fast decisions about the band’s direction. The best part was the ease of replacing players who disagreed or were otherwise uncooperative.

No long-winded discussions about creative control, no dreams about “making it big” post-age 40, and no BS tolerated regarding substance use, significant other’s opinions, or their position in the band’s management. We were a cover band, period. We had a 400+ song repertoire, of which about 75 were fully rehearsed and ready to go at short notice. Since sequencers are absolutely unforgiving, good time was essential, and a good memory was, too. Couldn’t live with that? Door is right there.

We worked regularly, and got paid. Contract for every gig, small or large. This was a side project for us, and we all had successful careers in our day jobs. We provided a product - a consistent product, and we delivered. Mostly repeat business.

A friend has a band called “Square One”. It’s called that because there are constant personnel issues that always puts them back to Square One. It’s a shame, because the leader is a really excellent guitarist. He’s also a professional, who has been frustrated for years with unprofessional players.

TL/DR: Easier to deal with machines than many musicians.

11. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

Covid19 came along and took away all the gigs so you won't be offended, problem solved.

Lance Morgan and tweeet like this.
  12. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I hate it, but I occasionally need my iPad for special requests or songs that aren’t in my regular repertoire. I feel totally amateur using it, but I don’t thunk most audiences care very much.

13. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

+1

The lack of empathy is really sad. Because they can do something, they think everybody can.

zeke54, SuprHtr, Ron R and 5 others like this.
  14. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]One of these devices I don't need. Who cares which?
    [​IMG]

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

If you're in the orchestra, fine. Otherwise, save the stands for rehearsal. It looks really bad and stupid onstage

16. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Every time I have seen Black Label Society play, Zakk has big ole laminated lyric sheets that his tech sets down on his monitors.

Muadzin likes this.
  17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not going to judge others. But I will judge myself--

I played guitar in a band where I had to learn about 60 songs in a week so I could join the band for an upcoming gig. They gave me a couple of weeks to get ready, and there was just one rehearsal before the show. The only way I was able to pull it off was to make little cheat-sheets for each song on a 3x5 card. Once the band leader gave me the set list then I just put the cards in order into a stack that I had sitting on my pedal board. Before each song I would bend down like I was adjusting a pedal but actually just flip over the card to the next song card.

I think that was totally defensible. It was the only way I could do the gig and do a good job. But then what happened? I kept playing with the band, for over a year, and I found myself totally dependent on those little cards. They became a crutch that I couldn't get rid of.

So in my next band I vowed that I would memorize everything. I still have a folder with some song sheets that I've written--especially for the ones with really unique and obscure chord changes. But I only pull those sheets out for rehearsals- alone or with the band. Before a gig I double check and do a solo quick run through to make sure I still remember everything. My personal experience is that once I committed to memorizing stuff, and not resorting to a cheat sheet, it actually wasn't that hard. Kind of like how waiters learn how to memorize all the orders from a table rather than writing it down-- with practice it becomes not that hard. And I'm glad I did it. For a few of the really weird songs I admit that I still have the crutch of having let's say the B section's really weird chord changes jotted down on the set list next to the song. They're there if I need them in a pinch. But I am slightly annoyed with myself for still having a mental block on memorizing those weird chord progressions.

But nowadays it is pretty easy to set up an iPad on a stand, and use it to very unobtrusively pull up cheat sheets as needed. I think it's one thing to have your gaze glued to them, reading them during every measure. It's quite another to just have them there as a "sh*t hits the fan" backup-- so if you have a brain fart you can just glance over at it for a moment and get back on track. If you do it very subtly then it doesn't degrade the immediacy of the performance or the connection to the audience. Do it just like the pros-- very subtle and non-intrusive.

18. blowtorch

ok boomer :)

Muadzin and basher like this.
  19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

A different set of standards. No? It's ok for an entire professional orchestra to have a music stands. The audience may be full of suits and evening gowns. Paying a premium for a ticket to get in.

4 friends like to hang out and rehearse at home over a few beers. They play out 6 times a year. They might make enough to pay for new strings, batteries and the beer. They work full time M-F day jobs. Keep their kids fed. They are in a small roadhouse bar full of their friends. Nobody is buying a ticket to be there. You come walking in during Freebird and are judging them because there is music stand on stage...Is the bar band community that screwed up? Can we not support each other?

You know what else looks stupid on the world stage?.....

20. blowtorch

Hawaiaan shirts? totally agree :)
    If you're not playing in the orchestra, you look like an amateur hack with music stands up there.

Learn the music/lyrics, and commit it to memory, or stay home

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.