1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Music stands, Lyric sheets, rant

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by sluglas, Oct 27, 2020.

1. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

Music stands?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    idjster, slauson slim and Jakedog like this.
  2. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

I’ve always hated music stands on stage. I’ve never allowed them....but then I turned 50.

GuitLoop, hotpepper, Maguchi and 12 others like this.
  3. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I always put a couple of song lists on a stand. I probably know hundreds of songs, but on stage without a list I would not think of most of them:rolleyes:

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I will have a few different ( old school) song lyrics binders and a foldable music stand at the ready ( off to the side) for either a new song I'm working on, or to use for song requests

I'm not a big fan, of this or tablets mounted on mic stands ( with either lyrics or chord changes) - but honestly if it prevents a train wreck on occasion, its OK

But best to just learn and remember

( I can't be too critical about this stuff as I always play sitting down, bad back - which for some is a R&R dealbreaker- but that's life)

Maguchi and Terrygh1949 like this.
  5. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I can see doing it if you're new to a band and have to perform a lot of material on short notice but other than that I agree. A gig isn't just musical it's visual as well. That's not to say that it has to be choreographed but I think that we have an obligation to at least try to look like we know what we're doing.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Muadzin and Frodebro like this.
  6. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I set in about once a month with a solo singer, guitar strummer (her band is on virus leave). She puts up a stand with lyrics and chord sheets. 1/2 of her songs I’ve never heard. Usually there’s one she almost learned and printed out the day before. I play rhythm with some bass and coloring and then about half way through I play a lead. Just follow the chord sheet and pieces of the melody you can remember.

Maguchi, Supereditor and Marc Morfei like this.
  7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Classical, swing, and jazz guys have used charts since the start. Relax.

Maguchi, vanimate, Zoot Zoot and 24 others like this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There are dozens of threads on this exact topic. With two distinct camps. Why not read them to cool the fire? Or post in the most recent one if that doesn’t quell the fire?

9. artdecade

Check out these hacks at the Opry using charts. Losers.

[​IMG]

Maguchi, telefire, LucasT and 11 others like this.
  10. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

When I was 16 and had unlimited time and a good memory, I used to memorize everything too. Then I grew up and had other things to do and my memory started to decline.

Also, please stop using the false dichotomy that you either have to memorize everything, or you have your face buried in a book the entire gig. A lot of tunes, I'll glance at the lyrics before we start and never look at them again. Sometimes, I might look a couple of times if I can't remember the order of the verses. There's a lot of ground between the two extremes.

tanawana, Maguchi, KATT and 29 others like this.
  11. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm repeating myself, but whatever. I'd much rather see somebody forget the second verse than spend the whole evening watching them read words off a screen or a piece of paper. If your gig is to provide background music (say you're in a string quartet at a wedding) I guess it's fine, but if you're putting on a show, then you should know your sh*t enough to be able to perform.

I would never get on a stage in front of people and play a piece of music that I didn't know inside and out. Why would anybody do that? It's stressful!

12. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Memorize, use lyrics and a music stand - I don't care as long as you're playing the right notes at the right time in the right key... We have one bass player who has an iPad and all his charts. We have another bass player who I wish would get a music stand and print out the song sheets I send him... and get a tuner...

13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I've forgotten more songs than I can recall learning. If I were in a gig where we took requests, MAYBE a music stand would help. I have a folding one.

If I were in a band where it was normal and I knew the songs (which has been all of them this far in life) music stands are in the way. I always thought itd be funny if on Unplugged or something similar we got a shot of the music stand and it was actually a comic book or cheesecake mag or better yet a word search.

Digital Larry likes this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

15. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I'm in my early 60s, and have a repertoire of over 200 songs. If you expect me to be able to instantly call up all of the lyrics to all of those songs on demand, I have one thing to say to you:

[​IMG]

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I agree in principle. In a rock band, it's lame to have that crutch on stage, especially if you're the front man. It reeks of ill-preparedness. That said, so many arena rock bands have expensive teleprompter setups at their feet that I've just tried to relax about it.

Maguchi, borducks, Muadzin and 4 others like this.
  17. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Yup. I played with a bass player who I just about had to get in a fist fight with to get him to use charts. I just about lost it once after telling him over and over that it was his choice, play the right notes or use a chart. We had a tune that he kept screwing up and I kept telling him to chart out. Finally I made him make a chart during rehearsal and I refused to play the tune if he "forgot" his chart. I don't know WTF is wrong with some people.

Maguchi, Masmus, PapaBeef and 3 others like this.
  18. artdecade

My time is valuable. I work with a lot with acts that pass through (or did before COVID), but I am not getting paid enough to log their set-lists into my memory for all time when they get played one weekend a year.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

oldgofaster, SuprHtr and MilwMark like this.
  20. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

Depends on the gig.

Rock or a bar gig. No.

Jazz or house band at a restaurant or similar, then sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.