Music room in the basement and the inevitable

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gusfinley, Aug 13, 2019.

1. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I live in a basement and have so for 24 yrs. Rather my home is a basement. We call them earth contact homes around these parts. Its was built and designed as a finished home on a proper site.

Water intrusion is a real worry but I've never suffered from it. I actually worry about earthquakes a lot more. I don't worry too much about tornadoes either, but one should be weather aware in all seasons.

I think having insurance is best advice alongside with, don't put any thing you care about in a basement that wasn't designed to be living quarters.

Basements are all fun and games until the electricity goes out.

And then its just really dark.

2. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

I had a basement when I lived in NY (Hudson Valley area). The first time it flooded, soon after we bought it, we found out the sump pump wasn't plugged in (doh!). The second time it flooded we found out the outlet pipe from the sump pump was filled with dirt and junk. (double doh!). Luckily we didn't finish the basement until after the second flood. I made sure to ask the electrician to mount the outlets a little higher on the walls... Just in case.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

My equipment is in the basement, and like several have previously commented, I keep a dehumidifier running during the non-winter months. Unfortunately we have experienced a few basement floods of a few inches, but everything is on shelves, carts or pallets rather than directly on the floor and nothing has been damaged in the slightest.

4. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

No basement for me nowadays, but back in my college days my band stored our gear in the basement of my (very old) rent house. We were gone over spring break or something, and when we came back, the basement had about 4 inches of nasty sewage in it. The cleanout cap from the septic pipe wasn't screwed on tight, and I guess there was a blockage, and the sewage (floaties and all) overflowed onto the floor. Triple, nasty yuck!

Luckily we had put all of our gear up on wood blocks and such, so none of the gear was damaged (but way too close). We had to leave it there while they cleaned it all up and couldn't retrieve it for about a week. I wasn't about to go wading through that (literal) crap!

Cheers,
    Doug

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

What if you bought some hollow foundation bricks and placed them end against end (maybe 5 feet apart) against a wall and laid 2" x 10" x 10' boards on them and made a long elevated platform for your guitar cases?

[​IMG]

If you could have a 10' x 30" platform against a wall you could lean 15 guitar cases against a wall but have them up off the floor. No tools necessary and you could easily move the platform anywhere.

Kind of like this but just go one brick tall....

[​IMG]

My guitar room is in the basement but our lawn and home sits over about 200 feet of gravel. We have drainage. You could probably made one trip to Home Depot and get bricks and lumber and it would be a half hour chore to set up.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

When I was a kid, we had a boot shelf at the top of the basement stairs that hung from vertical 2x4s nailed to the first floor joists then 2x4s to make the platform for the boots and shoes. Same idea can be applied anywhere. Create a shelf hanging two foot down from the floor joists and pack your empty cases on that shelf. Put wall hangers for guitars you use regularly. Stands for actively used amps and hanging shelves for the backup amps.

^^^ Mike E's comment above about the Ferndale Flood missed stating the sewer system backed up into the homes, so it wasn't just water and simply needing to dry things out but full-on sewage to clean out .... The city identified that the source of the problem was that sections of copper piping to the city's rainwater pumps had been stolen and sold for scrap so all that water went into the sewer system. It was a mess.

7. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

+1
    +1 Run dehumidifier 24/7/365.

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

modern building codes for bathrooms require the use of a watertight sealed surface called Schluter its film used under the tiling that holds the water in place so it does not leak out of the immeiate area , you could do something similar around the water tank and install a drain in the tank area that way the water would not get under the framing and ruin carpets, drywall, equipment,

this video shows a shower install but for a tank you would only need to go up about 18 inches and also cover the floor under the tank ( I did this when I rebuilt the down stairs bathroom and laundry room)

why put a bandaid on the bullet wound?

9. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

No, Thank you! Just as water in a basement is inevitable, so is gravity.

Just ask my Dad's 1951 Gibson LG1 that experienced a "gravity incident" that cracked the entire side in half. Guitars you care about belong in cases. I do have beater guitars on guitar stands that are just a few inches off the floor, though.

By the way, the 1951 Gibson was retrieved from my Grandpa's dirt basement shortly after a new acoustic guitar purchase of my own revived my Dad's interest in his old guitar. My grandpa's basement flooded not long after and the guitar would have been a pile of garbage if it would not have been removed.

The guitar eventually made it into my hands and I put a few hundred dollars getting it repaired (the crack from the fall form the wall hanger ) so that it could be playable again.

The guitar was a gift from my grandma to my grandpa for this birthday in 1951. It was purchased for $100 through a catalog sale at a local store. My dad learned to play on it and he is pictured in his high school yearbook playing it at the school talent show.

At my Grandparents 60th wedding anniversary I played a song that my Grandpa wrote for my Grandma using his old guitar that was saved from ruin.

djh22 likes this.
  10. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Can you imagine the spiders that would be in an Australian basement?!

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  11. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Put it all in the attic!?1:cool:

12. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

easier option is to just store your amps in a pre inflated boat so when its floods they rise

ronzhd likes this.
  13. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I built a platform to raise the guitars, but the cabinets are still on the floor. 25 years later I’ve had no problems.
    I sometimes think that I just traded 1 risk (water damage) for another (guaranteed damage if I knock something off a stand), but I’m ok with that. You could store cases underneath, I have other gear under there. Old pedals, a little practice amp,gig bag, music books.

[​IMG]

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  14. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

Thin skinned folks, please don't be offended. I live in Texas, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why cant you set up some type sump for those instances and power it off batteries/electric. IMHOP, there are some awesome homes over 100 years old, and even the new ones I recently had the chance to see in Colorado, why is it the basements is where the ball always got dropped.

15. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

It seems like 12" should be a good buffer from water damage. I appreciate all the suggestions. I'll have to look into one of those water monitors.....

16. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo!

I’d install a sump pump along with a battery backup pump.
    No way I would have all that equipment down there without a sump pump.

17. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

The worst offender for basement floods I've seen - not addressed here yet - is not so easily solved.

My friend in PA has s pretty watertight basement. New water heater, so unlikey that it would rot out the bottom and piss all over the floor. Pressure monitor on the inlet water source. Which the were away overnight, the town played pressure games. Ran it up so high in the line that the monitor failed. So now it's full flow water incoming from high on the wall, for the next 24 hours. Tight basement, so it was all there when they got back. Destroyed their lives for months. The Guild X500 I'd loaned him was ruined, along with dozens of other amps and guitars. Turns out many of homes were trashed that same way in the neighborhood. A well designed sump system might have mitigated it. Maybe not. Depends on the volume coming in and how fast.

Hard to think of everything. Elevating the valuables down there is always a safe play.

18. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Dupe post

19. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Ok
    You live in Salt Lake City, and not Baltimore on the banks of a Chesapeake bay creek. Are you fearful of internal water in the basement or external?
    The amount of protection I might suggest would be measured by the amount of risk.
    You have wife and kids. Probably don’t travel away from home too much. So not worried about shutting off water for long periods of time.
    Is flooding happening or has it happened. If so explain.
    Lots of questions here, heck if the fear is so bad , move the famil in the basement and keep the guitars upstairs.

20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Had 2 floods. Now have redundant backups systems, with a full inverter system
    for an 1 hour of full 110. (not wimpy car battery) or water flow sys (lol)..so I still push 1/4 and 1/2 hp.

Have not had to use. Actually, a plummer said my stand pipe probably did more to help
    future flooding than pumps. ps. Insurance only pays when water comes up..if it comes
    in from the sides you need flood Ins (in North Am) fyi.

ps. Milk cartons give you plenty of time, just in case. In my first flood, the most damage
    was done to stomps. Took in for repair and only 1 out of 2 could be fixed.

fyi

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.