Music Master Bass Amp Mafia

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Sidney Vicious, Nov 7, 2009.

1. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info Sid. The speaker sounds great for lower level breakup.I put an Eminence legend 125 in there for starters but found that, while that speaker could get good cleans, it wasn't really what this amp was about. Put the stock speaker back in and, the magic breakup returned. I have other amps to give me the clean headroom. This is just a plain old bedroom/recording rocker in the small tweed vain. Thats the way it should stay

2. dever

dever Tele-Meister

Duuuudes. I just SO got my socks blown off by a 6v6 MMB I just bought tonight for $200. Stock condition, lots of rust and ragged out grillcloth, but holy smokes, my 5e3 is going to have to step up its act now!

It's still got the 2 prong cord and has some grounding hum (though my house is old and has wiring issues). This one's going to stay with me for a while...

Edit: the cord is 3 wires but the ground prong was either broken off or ????

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  3. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

Installing a three-prong is easy and highly recommended - post a picture of your find - and welcome to the MMB Club. :cool:

4. dever

dever Tele-Meister

Got back around to cleaning up the amp, inside and out, and doing the Richard Hassebrock mods:
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/rlhasse/Ampdocs/HasseMMBassCCmod.pdf
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/rlhasse/Ampdocs/HasseMMBassVol-Tonemod.pdf

The tone/vol mod definitely provided a more guitar friendly tone, but I found the sweep of the tone pot doesn't provide much change. Easy and worth doing nonetheless. I don't know how much the coupling cap mod made, but it was simple to execute and easy to reverse if needed. I took a bunch of pics I'll post later today.

I left the stock speaker in, but when I put an old p12n into my 5e3, I'll use that current speaker (a Bedrock) into the MMB to see what sort of tones I get out of it then.

I picked up a 6aq5 version off ebay, on its way in the mail. Will be interesting to a/b these. One thing's for sure, the 6aq5 tubes are much more plentiful and a bunch cheaper than nos 6v6's.

5. dever

dever Tele-Meister

A few pics, including mods

The layout pics show the two mods perfored, as well as the fuse I installed.

Attached Files:

6. Sidney Vicious

dever - neat work on that tone control job - thanks posting the pic.
    Post when you get that 6AQ5 in.

7. psychetelec

psychetelec Tele-Holic

So, how do you determine the year of manufacture of one of these? Just got one. I notice some have separate on/off switches, some don't.
    [​IMG]

8. Sidney Vicious

psychetelec: - nice amp!

One indicator of date of manufacture of your amp is the codes on the transformers - that date will tell you the date the transformer was made - the amp was assembled some months (sometimes even a year!) after the transformer was made.

You can also date it by the serial number stamped into the exterior of the rear of the chassis.

Check this link for understanding transformer dating info: http://www.svvintageamps.com/dating.php

Here is some serial number information: http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp5.htm

9. psychetelec

psychetelec Tele-Holic

Thanks Sid.
    Found "A9 + 5-digits - 1979".
    It's in great shape, bought it from a friend who'd bought the Musicmaster Bass/Amp package for his son who then decided he didn't wanna play bass. $150.

brimo109 likes this.
  10. Sidney Vicious

Steal! :D

brimo109 likes this.
  11. slanted

slanted NEW MEMBER!

fuse

im doing a complete makover on my MMB amp - and im gonna ad a fuse - how many amp should the fuse be?

12. Sidney Vicious

I am not tech savvy but have been told that a 100ma or 200ma sloblo will suffice -

anyone else care to chime in?

as I need to get around to doing a fuse as well.

13. psychetelec

psychetelec Tele-Holic

So, I tried bi-amping these two, with the Vox handling the low-end and the Fender the high-end, sounds fantastic. We have another orchestra show coming up in a couple weeks, where I have to have my stage volume low, I'm gonna use this rig.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  14. SimpleOne

SimpleOne Friend of Leo's

OK Sid better stand up and be counted!

Have had this honey since early 2009.

Got it at GC of all places.The GC in our town seldom, (never?) has any good, cheap, Silver Face Fender tube amps, until one day, yes...one of the experts there made a comment about the amp needing tubes and made a face when telling me this. I wriggled the tubes and discovered they were very loose, one almost falling out on it's own. He did not know I had been looking for just this amp.(mmmwhahaha)

I asked them to eat the tax and they said "OK". $230 out the door.

After tightening the tube sockets up nice and snug the amp sang nicely. Thanks TDPRI and Billm for the tips.:!:

It's a nicely kept '74 model. Stock but for the speaker. What's not to like? Cheap tubes, and plentiful on the net. Great sound too. Can break up without bleedin' ears too...haha. Oh and here's a '68 Vibro Champ for extra consideration...and yes the thought crossed my mind, VC to MMBcabinet :lol:

Forgot to add: The speaker in the MMB is a C12K and the Vibro has a P10R. The Vibro came with the baffle board previously modded for a ten inch speaker. I took the 8 ohm speaker out of the Vibro Champ and put that in the SCXD, which sounds glorious with that speaker. Serendipitous.:)

There are not a lot of choices for 4 Ohm, 10 inch, speakers for guitar amps. "Vintage Speaker" had the best price. Now if I could find an 4 ohm, 12 inch, speaker I might be tempted to at least temporarily switch chassis here.:twisted:

Great thread Sid!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  15. SimpleOne

Nice Dever, that fuse holder looks stock. Nice pics!

Would that be the "Harvard Mod?"

16. SimpleOne

Wow nice clean up on that amp. How did you get the grill cloth so clean and sparkly? Remove and gently cleanse it?

17. Sidney Vicious

Finally got around to installing an in-line fuse in my MMB:

[​IMG]

Unsoldered the black power line coming in - it was soldered to the fixture holding the big red cap - and unsoldered the black (very dark purple?) line going to the switch from the same tab the black power line was solder to. Spliced the fuse holder in between the two unsoldered ends.

Thus - power - into fuse - out to switch.

18. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Speaking of Loose tubes.
    I have not used my MMB in a bout a year and a half because the tubes fell out of it.. DOH!
    hOW DO YOU TIGHTEN THE TUBE SOCKETS ANYWAY?

19. SimpleOne

Hey Frank here is a linky...

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=171

Remember to "discharge" the amp. Not difficult but you MUST have a Digital Multi Meter to check for residual voltage, to make sure the capacitors are all drained of their, sometimes, deadly high voltages. :!:

Don't know how? Start a new thread and you will get some help.:cool:

20. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Update. Just put a Jensen Mod 12-50 in this amp. Put it in to save the stock speaker. Even though its not fully broken in yet, I have to say WOW!!! These speakers are a great deal and sound real nice. I was thinking about the Mod 12-35 but, went for this as the price is the same and the specs seem very close to the C12q. Antone tried the 12-35?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.