Music Master Bass Amp Mafia

Sidney Vicious

Friend of Leo's
I got turned on to these by Robbie D of the TDPRI and catnine over on the FDP. Hearing two cool cats singing the praises of such a funky stepchild of a Fender amp got my attention. When I learned how relatively affordable they were/are I really got interested. 12 inches of tube tone for cheap? I'm in.

I have gone through a few of these over the years but recently settled on this early 6AQ5 one:

MMBstepsRotated_Medium_.JPG

Bone stock except for the tubes - three RCA's - and, at the moment, a Weber Sig Alnico. Truth be told, for at home play the stock speaker in this thing sounded great for my low-fi hacking. I may end up going back to it.

I have also decided to leave the tone circuit alone on this one - although I will install an in-line fuse soon to protect the trannys.

Step up and show me yours!

edgetone

TDPRI Member
Nice one, Vicious. Poor man's Deluxe....I love mine.

This one's got the 6v6's. Changed the input to a more standard "Fender" arrangement, i.e. 68K and 1Meg resistors and shorted that .047uF cap out of circuit. Sounded really good with a RI Jensen P12Q but wound up with the C12N due to the fact I noodle with a bass on it occasionally. The alnico couldn't take it, the N does fine. I've since added a 1/4" socket/plug connection for the speaker. Made it easier to hook to diferent speaker cabs and such.

Dan

Attachments

• Musicmaster Front.JPG
    Musicmaster Front.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,976
  • Musicmaster Back.JPG
    Musicmaster Back.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 3,234

edgetone

TDPRI Member
She'd been around the block a time or two when I met her....

Attachments

• Musicmaster Before.JPG
    Musicmaster Before.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Musicmaster Before Back.JPG
    Musicmaster Before Back.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,609

pchilson

Friend of Leo's
Here is an original schematic for a '74 6AQ5 version MMB
Kinda wish I still had mine...

MusicMaster_Schematic_1152-1.png

varakeef

Tele-Afflicted
Here's mine lurking in the right upper corner... it's a modded version with EL84's (or 34's... how to remember that?)
teletjastyrkaritpanpienempi.jpg

varakeef

Tele-Afflicted
Nice rig, varakeef. The 6AQ5 model, right?

Aside from the feet and tone knob, any other modifications?

I think it is 6AQ5, 1974 I guess.

It's modded to use different tubes (EL34/84?) since the ones they normally would use were hard to find here when the mod was excecuted (in the early nineties). They probably still are.

I have no idea what the mod exactly is, I just know what tubes to stick in there.

endzone

Friend of Leo's
Here's mine. Yeah, I'm in the happy camp with MMB's. They are little tone monsters. I picked up an old '65 Jensen P12R for this one and it really stepped it up. This thing will really grind with a P-90. I found this amp at an old obscure flea market about a year ago for $40.

IMGP0026.JPG

varakeef

Tele-Afflicted
These are very different tubes. I would guess they modded to the EL84. Only one type would fit the socket.

Yep... and I have a tube chart glued on the back of the amp where the right type is printed on. So I know but I just can't remember that kind of info by heart. The flaws of human brain. :D

doggy1972

Tele-Meister
Heres mine
Image019-1.jpg

MM2.jpg

MM1.jpg

The pictures are a bit limited I'm afraid. Sounds good with all my guitars. Its all stock except for the tubes. 12AT7 for home use 12AY7 for louder situations

doggy1972

Tele-Meister
Thanks Sid. I love this little amp. On the lookout for another 1. I know some ppl will say that the 12at7 is a power tube and shouldnt be used for the pre but, it just sounds the best out of the 12ay5, 5751 Ive tried in there.
A question to those in the know- Are those square CTS speakers Alnico or ceramic?
Just a little curious

Ian

Sidney Vicious

Friend of Leo's
Thanks Sid. I love this little amp. On the lookout for another 1. I know some ppl will say that the 12at7 is a power tube and shouldnt be used for the pre but, it just sounds the best out of the 12ay5, 5751 Ive tried in there.
A question to those in the know- Are those square CTS speakers Alnico or ceramic?Just a little curious

Ian

The square magnet on your amp is ceramic - as I believe was stock on all the MMB amps - although some - Oxfords I believe - have a round ceramic magnet.